10 replies to this topic

#1 KugelBlitz

KugelBlitz

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hello

New to this forum but not exactly new to pyrotechnics. However.......

I am looking for paper to cover the end of tubes relating to gerbs and suchlike..... I had a limited supply which I obtianed from Erich Klein in Germany some years ago - Unfortunately Kleins are no longer trading or so it would seem.  Could any kind soul point me towards a source of paper preferably UK based?

Thank you in advance.

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:30 AM

Are you wanting Kraft paper or poster paper?

Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

IMO pyro is such a small industry (possibly with the exception of China) that finding a useful paper in Staples or other office supplies place is more likely. No paper maker is going to supply a special product for a market as small as the pyro industry when they really want to make by the hundreds of miles of paper off the mill. 

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 KugelBlitz

KugelBlitz

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Thank you for the quick replies.

I agree with the poster - It is a small requirement and it is difficult. Kraft paper is the nearest approximation to what I'm looking for.  I have tried Office Supplies and Paper Merchants and the nearest thing I can find is - believe it or not - NCR Invoice/Delivery Note paper......  But if not completely consumed it embers.....  And effect I don't want.

I'm looking for the almost tissue paper like material used to seal the top of things like flashpots and roman candles.  I had some of the red stuff that crinkles and also some sheets that were black one side and white the other (I suspect the black had been printed on)

I've used extremely thin foil but it causes  a little too much confinement and therefore alters the effect.....

Any assistance is most welcome.

#5 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:42 AM

Wherever you are there will be a small jobbing printer near to you. Go see them talk nicely to them. Press printers use lots of finer papers than are sold for office use, and they care about the material content of the paper. So if you can get a printer to talk paper for you he may well get you a box of useful paper. What he may not understand is that a five ream box may be ten years supply for you rather than ten minutes printing for him.

Certainly a reasonable local printer should be able to show you a swatch book of likely papers without you having to buy a ream of each. Take a sample of your last successful paper, your printer may know where to get like paper, or even tell you how it is made up.

#6 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Something along the lines of acid free tissue paper perhaps would work - 

http://www.globepack...143&network=pla

#7 KugelBlitz

KugelBlitz

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Thank you again so much.  There is a little craft centre near me with a hand operated printing press situated within - I may just pop down there this afternoon..... Hadn't thought of that avenue.

Will tissue paper take the glue?  Maybe that's a rhetorical question as kids (and grown ups) use it for all sorts don't they????

Hmmmm Nice weather - might go down the shed ;)

#8 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

would nitrate (or other oxidiser) soaking of the paper not reduce or remove the ash formation your trying to avoid too?

#9 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

I use manilla tissue paper. It is very thin, but retains more strength than normal tissue and can be glued easily. 

This is the stuff I use http://www.conservat...ory.aspx?id=309

Phew that was close.

#10 KugelBlitz

KugelBlitz

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Had a poke around and what do people think to Bank paper????  It seems light enough yet strong enough - Better than tissue on that score......

#11 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

As I've never seen your product, I can't say whether it is assisted by your choice of paper. However if you are satisfied, that's good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users