3 replies to this topic

#1 Predator

Predator

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Greetings all..!
I am fairly new to the forum so can someone discuss with me what is, Married comet, Cavity comet and matrix comet.
Discuss it in detail also what kind of effect it creats in a aerial shells?

#2 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hi Predator,

Cavity comets are pumped in the usual way that solid comets are, but have an indent in the top which is usually filled with either a damp colour composition whch is then allowed to dry, or a breaking charge, then an end disc is glued on to seal it. During its ascent, it will reach the bursting charge or colour comp. and either shatter into small pieces or change colour. I think these are also called shattering comets. They're a bit like crossettes but with a more randomised break pattern.

Matrix comets are the same shape as regular comets, with a fast burning black powder composition that has a percentage of microstars added to it. These are then ignited and ejected leaving a coloured or strobe tail. This is the way in which most coloured glitters are done, they aren't actually glitter but instead thousands of tiny strobe stars in a matrix comet.

Married comets I'm not sure on, but I think they may be multiple layers of different composition that are stuck together then wrapped in paper, so that the comet changes colour or effect part way through its burn.

I'm sure other people will correct me if I've missed anything.

You can never have a long enough fuse...

#3 helix

helix

• UKPS Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:12 PM

Yes married comets are normally a colour and a streamer type composition both the streamer and colour sections are pumped and then they are pasted together using a couple of turns of lightweight pasted kraft paper.  Both ends of the comet are bare and are lit from the burst, the coloured wafer would normally be primed.  You need to make sure the kraft paper wrap is tight to the sides of the comets otherwise fire can pass inside the paper.  The colour wafer and the tail comps should burn for about the same time so you get a streamer effect with a coloured head, very similar to a cavity comet but you dont have so many issue with the compatibility of compositions as you can isolate the colour comp from the streamer comp.

They take longer to make than cavity stars/ comets but should stay together better.   They can be quite messy to make, especially if your star comps use a water soluble binder as the paste in the kraft wrap starts to dissolve the sides of the comet.  You can paint the sides of the comets with some NC solution to stop this. 

• Vic likes this

#4 Predator

Predator

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Ahh.!
Thats really good and detailed explanation.
Thanks to you both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users