• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:36 PM

I've been very interested in the thermite (or Goldschmidt) reaction, but I am unsure on what 'grade' or Iron Oxide I should use. I have created some black ferromagnetic Iron Oxide, and have been suggested, by a few sites - that black is the ONLY type that will assist the thermite reation. I've also come across webpages that state red iron oxide is the ONLY type that works in the reaction.

As easy as it is to turn my black grade into red, I cannot afford to waste my Aluminium at this moment. So I've come here to ask people who know what they mean, by experience, not by theory.

#2 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:52 PM

This might help,

Thermite
I have never made the stuff but I have read that both forms of iron oxide work, just in different ratios to the Al.

Most recipes for thermite that I have encountered call for a specific oxide, I would find a credible recipe and follow its directions.

Edited by dfk, 12 March 2004 - 11:38 PM.

Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#3 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:55 PM

Excellent. Thanks a lot - I guess trying both of them using the same overall mass would be a good idea, seeming as I'd learn what to use in the future.

#4 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 11:06 AM

A tip!

Thermite burns really fast when lit! I used red Fe(III)O ans 80 mircon Al and when I lit it I juped some meters back because of the surpisingly fast reaction. 80 micron Al is slightly big and needs Mg or something to be lit. Molten iron is very hot!

#5 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 11:21 AM

Haha...Yeah - the activation energy for Thermite is about 600+ degrees (or so I've heard), so I'm gonna need some Visco (Which I'm not going to be able to get, full stop) or find someone who could spare half a meter or so of magnesium ribbon.

#6 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:22 PM

I haven't made thermite, but I've heard that one of the best ways to ignite it is the common sparkler. Just make sure you put a couple of layers of foil between the "fuse" length of the sparkler and the thermite, so that sparks don't land on it.

#7 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:31 PM

I've heard so aswell...But sparklers are hard to come by this time of year.

#8 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 08:24 PM

Try the internet. Most places will sell them.

#9 StfuStuf

StfuStuf

Hardcore

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 09:19 PM

No way you guys have troubles getting sparklers...

We (Canada) can get them right at the dollar store or any place where you can buy cakes etc. Unless you're talking about those giant sparklers which only appear around Halloween. Also I heard that Visco doesnt work to ignite thermite.

Edited by StfuStuf, 13 March 2004 - 09:25 PM.

the best bands to hear while making fireworks:exploited,distillers,rancid,billy talent, refused,sexpistols,unseen,sublime

#10 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:15 AM

I am extremely envious of the American and Canadian. The entire UK population of this board knows why.

#11 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:16 AM

Hmmmm...Would indoor sparklers do the trick?

#12 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:17 AM

You can buy Sparklers and fireworks every day of the year in the UK. That's better then most states in the USA. What's the problem?

#13 Demented Ferret

Demented Ferret

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:21 AM

Hey, no problem with sparklers, just the States have it easy when it comes to 'ingredients' ;).

#14 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 12:22 AM

Topic is red or black Iron Oxide - let's get this forum back to that.

#15 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:08 PM

Anyone tried the Copper Oxide + Alu Thermite reaction?, just seen it, but can't be bothered to try it myself. The only thermite reaction I have produced used Red Iron Oxide, and worked pretty well, although I didn't actually watch it, for fear of blinding myself. Lit up the garden pretty well though........... wonder what the neighbours think. :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users