http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2562

#2 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

If there is any way you can make your own do so. I brought every type of charcoal I could at the beginning of my hobby, in the short term it worked.

To get consistent results you need to be in full control of the end product, you cannot do this when buying in.

Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#3 David G

David G

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

Agreed but for those that cannot or do not want to make their own,this supplier only makes charcoal for pyro use as a result of his pyro experience. What he sells he also uses for his own projects.

#4 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:55 PM

£14.50 + £1.50 p&p for less than a kilo. Has it got gold dust mixed in?

Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#5 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:41 AM

To be fair it's not cheap stuff if it's done right, I've found when charcoaling willow that "over cooking" it results in charcoal that is a few % slower in bp than charcoal cooked to a slightly lower final temp but doing so requires VERY carefull heat control Amanda basically needs an electric kiln on for hours and hours. You also need a very very good mill as it's tougher stuff or you end up loosing even more speed than using over cooked stuff.

Over cooking it can be done in huge volumes, cheaper and for 99.9% of my customers ended up with better bp because it's softer so mills very easily into a better product with their setup.

I charge more than he does but I've sold lots if it with fantastic feedback from all.

#6 Niall

Niall

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for promoting it David!

As Cooperman says, it is more expensive to get it right and requires constant supervision. I have been working on this process, including careful analysis, for over a year.

All the charcoal I have bought previously has been absolutely dire. Stuff that says it is willow clearly is not. Some of the 'willow' I bought performed worse than bbq charcoal. Of course, it's hard to know that it is dire until you get something better! I agree with the idea of making your own too, it's how I started. I can give tips if you have the means to try.

Ultimately, once my initial outlay is well covered, I will bring the prices down. This includes doing deals to get the wood I want etc. the idea being that if you buy from me, you know exactly what you are getting, and it saves you the hassle of making your own.

What I am selling is exactly what it says it is. You pay for that guarantee. I could sell my main charcoal as willow because it is better than most willow sold on the net, but I don't because I'm a pyro.

There are so many myths and mistakes in this subject that it boggles the mind.

My stuff is the price it is because of what it is. I have to recover my research costs. I sell the 950g to keep postage costs down giving the best value for money across the range.

David will also tell you, that if you message me to tell me you are from any one of a select number of forums, including this one, you get a deal that leaves you smiling. I want to make money, but I also want to let the guys who contribute to these discussions to benefit from my effort.

After all, that's why I started making charcoal.

If charcoal was just charcoal, it wouldn't matter what type you buy. If you buy cheap, you get cheap stuff.

Some might say there is gold dust mixed in!!! Enjoy.

Ps why not message me for a sample, see if it is what it claims to be? I'm that confident!

I hope this post isn't seen as rude or arrogant, it isn't meant that way, I sometimes write in a way that could be read differently to my intended sentiment! Just the way my brain does stuff!

Edited by Niall, 31 January 2015 - 09:24 PM.

#7 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

Does the wood have to be dried/seasoned before you 'charcoal' it ?

The RGPM has a fair bit of alder and willow that they have to coppice i'm sure a small donation to their funds would secure a car full for anyone that wants to make their own ;)

Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#8 Niall

Niall

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

Depending on your process, time constraints and such, there is no need for seasoning or drying. Just throw it in a tin and stick it in the fire! Holes in the top of the tin to allow the gases to escape.

Edited by Niall, 31 January 2015 - 06:18 PM.

#9 Niall

Niall

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

Haha. Well that's where the money went!

There is more than one way to skin a cat in boots!

#10 Niall

Niall

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Been home today! Still catching up. There is a lot to take in!!!

Those 4Kg were High Performance, the standard charcoal! I think it is better value than the willow in all honesty.

It just seems to do everything well. I use it for most things.

Edited by Niall, 31 January 2015 - 06:48 PM.

#11 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

£14.50 x postage is a good price, when i was buying willow charcoal from Coates on the somerset levels i was paying more than that and i had to collect it,but is is very consistent charcoal and makes very good lift.

#12 Niall

Niall

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

Well the price for the stuff that works best is £12.00 + £1.50.

But as I have said, members of the pyro discussion communities benefit by contacting me before buying! Best way to do so is through ebay. Especially before March 29th for postal reasons!

And thanks to Ken for all your help. It's unusual to find someone so willing to share their knowledge.

#13 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

Some years back, my old charcoal retort.

2fd4a57f-9d13-4c87-9080-8b49de792e5f_zps

Freud. Artists, in this view, are people who may avoid neurosis and perversion by sublimating their impulses in their work.

#14 Niall

Niall

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

HA!!

No word of a lie, that picture is no different to my first attempt.

An old cattle feeder, on fire, with a tin in the middle. That is startlingly similar!

My final method is a little more efficient and all the heat is used.

#15 Vic

Vic

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

Had some nice evenings sat round it with a few beers :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users