Chemical storage

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

Having recently moved house i thought it would be a good time to reassess my chemical storage system.

I have decided that the metal shed furthest from the house is the place for fuels organic solvents, metal powders, organic fuel benzoates etc and fire wood. This is padlocked for security i also use an old fridge to store flammable organic solvents in and another to store metal powders etc in these are also padlocked for security.

I keep oxidizers in another locked shed with Ammonium perchlorate stored in one metal box and all other oxidizers in another metal box both locked.

Acids are currently in the fuel shed but will be moved to a small plastic shed as soon as i have it in place.

The very small amount of poisons i keep are in a locked ex medicine cabinet in the house.

I think the fridges are a good cheap way to store some of the more dangerous chemicals as i believe if they can keep heat out they should at least give some fire protection, they are also easy to secure. The only problem i've found with them is the plastic on the inside does seems to go a bit brittle with long term exposure to some organic solvents.

I think this is a good system but i would be interested to hear wat others do, also bare in mind that now EPP is live security is going to be more and more of a issue as you will have to declare any losses.

Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#2 GMetcalf

GMetcalf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

I keep everything in ziplock bags with clear labels indicating what they contain and in some cases the initial quantities. I then have said bags segregated into one of three black-tinted (to protect from light) Really Useful Boxes depending on chemical type: one for oxidisers (including things like Lead Tetraoxide), one for fuels (metal and organic) and one for everything else (such as metal carbonates, dextrin etc). The oxidisers box is then stored in a separate cupboard to the fuels box.

Solvents (acetone and isopropanol) are kept in metal bottles, again in a cupboard hidden away from light. Lastly my Nitrocellulose Lacquer is kept in a sealed plastic bottle, in a ziplock bag, inside a screw top plastic jar, with the solvents.

All the fuse I own (Visco, Chinese Time Fuse and on occasion Blackmatch and Quickmatch) is stored in my 18mm lockable plywood box, away from all the chemicals.

I would love to have a shed but my garden isn't quite big enough, what with the shared neighbour's greenhouse.

#3 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 12:29 AM

I was just about to launch into the details of how I store my stuff, then I thought that I don't really want it plastered all over the internet.

One of the best and easiest ways of ensuring pyro and other stuff is as safe as possible is to let as few people as 'need to know' know about it.

These days people leave a social media trail and it can be relatively easy to track someone down, and from there to the metal shed at the bottom of the garden :)

#4 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

Separate things by hazard and store securely properly labelled. 

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#5 dannytsg

dannytsg

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 01:06 PM

Separate things by hazard and store securely properly labelled. 

+1 to this from me

I have a few lockable filing cabinets (the old style 4 drawer metal ones) that I use for storage in a locked/alarmed shed within my garden.

"Life - It is what it is"

#6 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

I was just about to launch into the details of how I store my stuff, then I thought that I don't really want it plastered all over the internet.

One of the best and easiest ways of ensuring pyro and other stuff is as safe as possible is to let as few people as 'need to know' know about it.

These days people leave a social media trail and it can be relatively easy to track someone down, and from there to the metal shed at the bottom of the garden :)

Good point, i can assure you the small amounts i have are pretty secure.

I was more interested in storing techniques/systems/containers.

Also is it ok to store this sort of stuff in your house, do you have to declare it to your insurance company.

Should there be official guidelines on storage.

#7 GMetcalf

GMetcalf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:42 PM

Also is it ok to store this sort of stuff in your house, do you have to declare it to your insurance company.

Should there be official guidelines on storage.

As far as I'm aware (I store all my chemicals inside my house) you don't need to declare it for insurance. However, the local Fire Brigade would be interested in whether there are oxidisers or high energy fuels (such as powdered Aluminium) inside the property. There aren't, as far as I know, any official regulations on the storage of such chemicals and it certainly isn't mandatory to declare to the Fire Brigade the presence of any such chemicals.

#8 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

No there is none. I was just questioning weather there should be.

You don't have to declare to the fire brigade or put a sign on your door if you are storing flammable gas bottles in your house but you do for a industrial premises. I think the laws were tightened on acetylene and oxygen storage for people wishing to keep them in their garage etc.

It's a bit of a dilemma, as Martyn has mentioned 'advertising' wat you have in your shed does have certain security implications but on the other hand having a flammable liquid/flammable compressed gas sticker on your shed could well save the life of a fireman/neighbour who is trying to put out a fire unaware of the contents of your shed. Apparently the fire brigade are notified about A&K locations.

Maybe something in the good practice guide regarding storage above certain quantity's.

#9 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

I store my oxidisers here

As you can see, not used much in the last few years.

It's even more buried now.

Edit - sorry the photo is so big, I don't know how to make it smaller

oxidisers_1.jpg

Edited by martyn, 20 May 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#10 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

Nice !!! Kinda puts mine to shame.

That's the kind of thing i'm thinking about. I don't know if anyone has been asked to prove that they have safe storage for EPP but even if no one ever is. I think as a society it's important that we do our best to make sure the possibility of an accident (or worse) involving EPP controlled, or any other home stored, chemicals is avoided/kept to a minimum.

I know this may come across as trying to make already excessive legislation even more complex but i'm fairly certain that if something does happen we could well end up with nothing.....

#11 dave

dave

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 07:54 PM

As far as I'm aware (I store all my chemicals inside my house) you don't need to declare it for insurance. However, the local Fire Brigade would be interested in whether there are oxidisers or high energy fuels (such as powdered Aluminium) inside the property. There aren't, as far as I know, any official regulations on the storage of such chemicals and it certainly isn't mandatory to declare to the Fire Brigade the presence of any such chemicals.

give it time, and it will eventually creep in like all the rest of the ***p

#12 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:36 PM

Opps.

#13 GMetcalf

GMetcalf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

I know this may come across as trying to make already excessive legislation even more complex but i'm fairly certain that if something does happen we could well end up with nothing.....

I totally agree with you on this. We have to be careful to not lose what precious little we have!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users