Photo

Is the use of smoke grenades in the UK legal?

smoke grenades legal help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jessbury

jessbury

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hi all, 

I've turned here as I'm struggling to get a definitive answer to my question: can I legally use coloured smoke grenades (for the purpose of a marketing campaign) in a public place in the UK? I'll be buying the Enola Gaye smoke grenades and using it on a University Campus. 

I would be incredibly thankful to anyone who can answer this question for me!!

#2 JamesB

JamesB

• UKPS Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:47 AM

Having had a look at the Enola Gaye website, they seem to sum it up pretty well themselves:

Using Enola Gaye products or any type of pyrotechnic in a public places where you may induce worry or panic is illegal. It is not illegal to own or use pyrotechnics but they need to be used away from the general public or face potential prosecution by public disorder.

That said, if you approached the university with an appropriate risk assessment and got their permission, that would probably be acceptable. You may be better off with a smoke machine, as this would offer a much more controllable effect, e.g. setting off a smoke bomb and then realising it's producing much more smoke than you expected for the environment you're in, or the wind conditions, doesn't really leave you a lot of options. 

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

A University campus is likely an area of private land so you need the owners permission, If the local people are surprised then it counts as a terrorist event, if they are expecting it then it's entertainment. Maybe you TELL the campus security exactly what will happen so that they can decide if it's acceptable on their grounds. Remember that coloured smoke STAINS everything you could have some coloured grass, paving and buildings, take care. Local wind will have a huge effect on the smoke effect -be prepared for all eventualities, be prepared to pull the effect if it puts anyone or anything at risk. 

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:50 PM

If you are going to use items of this nature it is always worth a call to your local police service.  Let them know what, when, where and for how long, they will then be aware of it and can manage any calls they might get from the public and liase with other emergency services.  Remember they all have there own call centres, so dierct contact with the local fire service will also be sensible.  You can google the numbers you require, but the police non-emergency number is 101  As Arthur says, these effects can stain so stand them in or on something that is expendable.  If you have not used the effect before try it somewhere safe so you know what it does.  How do you stop a smoke effect like the one you are going to use?...find out and also have suitable fire fighting equipement to hand.  The smoke is produced by a controlled burn inside the item, but things can and do go wrong.  How would I stop a smoke effect like that? Drop it in a bucket of water.

Smoke machines can be hired and you don't have to have one connected to an electric supply, only draw back is they only produce white smoke/mist/fog

#5 Pyro-centric

Pyro-centric

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

Ps if you want any more advice please ask and no queestion is to silly if you have now used things like this before

#6 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

Smoke grenades are clearly legal -lots of prime manufacturers make and sell them for airsoft, theatre and drain testing. It's not the device it's the purpose to which you want to put them. The problems include frightening the locals and causing calls to the emergency services which may lead to a perception of terrorist activity.

Your professional attitude to safety means that you should have addressed all the potential risks and hazards including this and lots more. You should have permission from the land owner and you should notify the Fire and Police for your area  and tell them what is planned so that they can respond correctly and proportionately when someone does ring them. 

Remember that in the days of implanted comms devices (mobile phones etc) most people are only 5 seconds away from the emergency services operator.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#7 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm or firework (not defined) within 50ft of the centre of a highway to the annoyance of the public.
Also there are offences relating to fires and smoke near highways.

Highways include roads paths and bridleways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users