• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rekorderlig

rekorderlig

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:33 AM

I'm interested in muzzleloaders and recently came across pyrodex. Reading into it, I've found out that the purchase and possesion of it in the Uk doesn't require a licence, which surprises me somewhat.

Also, I am led to believe, there is no storage restrictions either, meaning you can put it in whatever you like, wherever you like with the instructions on the container only being a caution.

If this is true, what is considered a legitimate use for pyrodex if it is pretty much unrestriced? I possess no firearms nor an FAC/SGC, but I am interested in pyro and rocketry. Can it be used for the aforementioned, and what limitations are there? What exactly can I do without without getting visits or being assumed a terrorist?

I recall reading a few years ago that anything resmebling a missile is not allowed due to the potential of malicious intent, but am surprised to find out that hobbyists can purchase chemical engines and I beleive store as much as they want without a licence required for both.

Please move this if I've posted it in the wrong area.

-Rek.

Kitchen chemist. Lounge litographer. Bedroom bucaneer. Garden gurrier.

#2 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

Pyrodex is treated as a smokeless powder for licencing and certification. Without holding a sgc or fac or being a dealer acquisition should be by means of a certificate.... ER 2014 Schedule 2 part 2 refers.
You may keep up to 15kg if no other propellant powders are kept. Above this you will need a licence. You should always keep the product in the manufacturers packaging. The keeping of any quantity of smokeless powder above 25kg will require separation distances to be maintained as per the HT3 table in ER 2014 schedule 5.

Edited by exat808, 13 March 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#3 rekorderlig

rekorderlig

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

Pyrodex is treated as a smokeless powder for licencing and certification. Without holding a sgc or fac or being a dealer acquisition should be by means of a certificate.... ER 2014 Schedule 2 part 2 refers.
You may keep up to 15kg if no other propellant powders are kept. Above this you will need a licence. You should always keep the product in the manufacturers packaging. The keeping of any quantity of smokeless powder above 25kg will require separation distances to be maintained as per the HT3 table in ER 2014 schedule 5.

Having read of schedule 2, I'm a little confused. Does that mean that I really can purchase and use for any use?

http://www.legislati...schedule/2/made

I know it should be kep in original packaging, but from reading online, I've found references on gun forums that there's no restrictions on storage. What I want to know is the current regulations/ law on purchase and keeping of pyrodex.

-Rek.

#4 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

Your answer is here.... from exat 808

Who tests the tester.

#5 rekorderlig

rekorderlig

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:49 PM

Your answer is here.... from exat 808

I'm having difficulty understanding that. Could you rephrase it.

#6 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

You need to prove you have a shotgun or firearms certificate or they will not sell it to you unless you have either or an explosive certificate. So they know you have a legit use for it.

Rod

#7 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

ER2014 Sch2 part 2 lists some very specific circumstances when an explosive certificate is not required.
If you consult the paragraph in part 2 that relates to smokeless powders in UN0161 and UN0509 you will see that uncertificated possession can only be achieved if you have an sgc FAC RFD or a permit issued under the 1968 Act. In all other circumstances a certificate will be needed to acquire smokeless powders.
Sorry if my earlier post caused confusion. Maxman has summed it up very well.

#8 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

I think the confusion came into this because it was under the main heading

Explosives not requiring an explosives certificate`

which on the face of it seems to imply that no certificate is required - whereas part 2 is just giving reference as a separate entity. 

Who tests the tester.

#9 rekorderlig

rekorderlig

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:38 PM

Cheers guys. Yeah. Legislation can be confusing and somewhat contradictory for those untrained in reading it. I sometimes wonderif they write it to purposly confuse people.

I was giving consideration to the SGC recently. It would certainly save the hassle now considering this. You can adapt shtguns to fire like muzzleloaders using a special shell. I'm not sure of the legality of this here, but I'll probably bring it up when I get round to joining a club.

What's a legit reason to have an explosives cert? Will pyro/ science experiemtns be enough? Also, what would one put down regarding experience of use?

-Rek.

#10 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:49 AM

Sorry to be a buzzkill but I will have to ask you to refer to the existing threads (specifically on applying for AAK certs) as this is a commonly asked question and tends to go round in circles if allowed to continue.

If you struggle to find them would someone please be kind enough to link them here for him?

#11 rekorderlig

rekorderlig

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

Sorry to be a buzzkill but I will have to ask you to refer to the existing threads (specifically on applying for AAK certs) as this is a commonly asked question and tends to go round in circles if allowed to continue.

If you struggle to find them would someone please be kind enough to link them here for him?

Apoligies. What does AAK mean?

#12 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

If you hold a gun then your ELO/FLO will know all about you getting the required permissions for suitable shooter's powder.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#13 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:22 AM

I'm interested in muzzleloaders and recently came across pyrodex. Reading into it, I've found out that the purchase and possesion of it in the Uk doesn't require a licence, which surprises me somewhat.

Also, I am led to believe, there is no storage restrictions either, meaning you can put it in whatever you like, wherever you like with the instructions on the container only being a caution.

If this is true, what is considered a legitimate use for pyrodex if it is pretty much unrestriced? I possess no firearms nor an FAC/SGC, but I am interested in pyro and rocketry. Can it be used for the aforementioned, and what limitations are there? What exactly can I do without without getting visits or being assumed a terrorist?

I recall reading a few years ago that anything resmebling a missile is not allowed due to the potential of malicious intent, but am surprised to find out that hobbyists can purchase chemical engines and I beleive store as much as they want without a licence required for both.

Please move this if I've posted it in the wrong area.

-Rek.

Pyrodex  and smokeless powders are fairly useless for rocketry use.

They burn slowly unless confined.

I am told variously that a pressure of 30,000 to 50,000 PSI is required which is beyond a cardboard tube.

Rocket versus missile.

It is generally permissible to angle a rocket by 20 degrees for wind drift.

Directing it by pointing or guidance makes it a missile , highly illegal..

#14 whoof

whoof

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:27 AM

I have tried to reply to this but this forum has for a long time been impossible to use

#15 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:04 AM

What's going wrong when you try to reply?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users