• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fionabbc

fionabbc

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

Calling out for historic fireworks enthusiasts!

My name’s Fiona and I’m working on an exciting new BBC4 television programme, which will look at the science and history behind fireworks, culminating in what is set to be a spectacular recreation of the 1575 display put on for Queen Elizabeth I at Kenilworth Castle. Having spoken to your chairman Phill, he suggested I post on here to see if anyone might be able to help me!

As part of the programme, we’re trying to recreate fireworks in the way they were made in the 16th century as accurately as possible. A huge part of this is looking at the production of the raw materials (sulphur, charcoal and saltpetre.) Specifically one key challenge we’re keen to feature is the production of sufficient saltpetre/potassium nitrate using a nitre bed. Unfortunately, we don’t have the luxury of time to make our own, so are looking to find out if there is anyone out there with an existing nitre bed we could possibly film with?

Or, I hear some claims that you can fast track the process using existing vegetable and peat compost combined with urine – if anyone has any experience or can shed some light on this, I’d be keen to hear from you.

Any advice or recommendations much appreciated, with no obligation to be involved. Please do get in touch on Fiona.turnock@stv.tv or 0203 931 0476 and I can give you more information about the programme.

Many thanks,

Fiona

Fiona Turnock | Assistant Producer | Tel: 0203 931 0476
email: fiona.turnock@stv.tv | website:
www.stv.tv
STV | 9 Savoy Street  | London | WC2E 7EG |

#2 PeteyPyro

PeteyPyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Fiona, I'd bet that the BBC could build a mock saltpeter prop that would 'look the part'. Probably a gardener with a well used composting setup and a little carpentry work for the leeching bed and the V trough metathesis bed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nitre bed, potassium nitrate, saltpetre, tudor, BBC4, television

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users