• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bullstreetboy

bullstreetboy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:43 AM

After over 2 month I finally got my EPP licence throught the post. This was after being held to ransom by my GP (£150 for the sanity check)

With great anticipation I put in an order for Potassium Perchlorate(one of the items on my EPP)

I then find the law says that I have to appear in person in front of the supplier with the ID I used on the EPP application. I live in the SW of England and do not know of any local suppliers.

At no point in my research on the EPP application process was I made aware of this restriction. It may be on the gov web site, if it is I didn't see it.

One supplier was prepared to sell if I sent my EPP AND ID by registered post - they would then return this after a few days with the chems.

MY ID is my passport, which as I still work occasionally, I can need at very short notice. I'm prepared to send my passport registered post to the passport office  but would have to think long and hard before sending it elsewhere.

It seems that I have spent £200 on a licence that is worthless to me.

I'll maybe have to take up knitting if there isn't a requirement for a licence to buy the needles!

A very disappointed pryo enthusiast (maybe that is now ex enthusiast)

Edited by bullstreetboy, 22 September 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#2 samboradford

samboradford

• UKPS Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:38 AM

There are some of us around in the South West who can help.

Edited by samboradford, 28 September 2017 - 06:55 PM.

#3 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:43 PM

Could you send your drivers licence as ID?

"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#4 NeilB

NeilB

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

Could you send your drivers licence as ID?

It says u need to provide the I'd that was used to obtain the EPP. And I'm sure that it's says on the gov website that I'D can be sent via fax?

Edit: forgot to mention the bit where someone does have to see you face to face, whether it be the supplier or delivery company.

Edited by NeilB, 22 September 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#5 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:18 PM

It has to be the same ID as used for the application.

The supplier should not be supplying via a postal exhange unless the delivery driver also checks the licence and ID against the person taking delivery.

There are a few members in the South West, one of them might meet you and sell you some. Anyone who can legally possess perc can supply you as long as they comply with the law, check your EPP and ID against the person receiving it, enter the details on the back of the licence, and make sure it is labelled correctly.

The bottom line is that to keep it legit, you will have to meet someone face to face to buy some, we all have to do that. So buy as much as you can legally have and be set up for a while.

Quite possibly you might find someone to supply you in a 'not quite legit fashion' but in the current security climate that would be stupid in my opinion.

If you join the UKPS and look through the members forum you might find a cheap supplier you can meet up with, although you don't get anything for your money when you join. :)

The usual pyro chemical suppliers such as Phil C and inoxia will supply you face to face as far as I know.

There is also a far more active forum over at Pyrotubes, they must get their perc from somewhere, you could ask there.

Cheers.

#6 bullstreetboy

bullstreetboy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

Thanks Guys

I am a member of UKPS. I'm not a club type person and I don't know any other enthusiast. I'll check for local members.

#7 NeilB

NeilB

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

May I ask what a sanity check involves?

Lol it might prove what my parents were saying for years when I was young haha

Neil.

#8 bullstreetboy

bullstreetboy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

Martyn

Inoxia is 170 miles away

Cooperman is 260 miles away

I live  in Devon near the South coast.

That would make VERY expensive perc!

"Pyrotubes" Google that and see what you get????

Edited by bullstreetboy, 27 September 2017 - 08:50 AM.

#9 rocketpro

rocketpro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

You could try here...   pyro-gear.co.uk

Edited by rocketpro, 24 September 2017 - 01:42 PM.

Who tests the tester.

#10 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Sorry, my mistake, I did mean pyro gear.

I think there used to be a pyro tubes.

If it's any consolation, I had to travel 190 miles each way to buy my perc, I think you probably need to fit it in with other travel plans or suck it up and make a day of it with a visit somewhere.

Probably pyro gear might come up trumps. I think one of the chaps there is Southampton way.

cheers

Martyn.

PS, if you are that way inclined you could always make some, I never have, but I might try one day, it seems fairly easy, at least youtube says it is :) .

If you have an EPP there should be no problem as long as you don't make more than you are allowed to have.

#11 David G

David G

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

May I ask what a sanity check involves?
Lol it might prove what my parents were saying for years when I was young haha
Neil.

It is a very basic form that is filled in by the applicant and the GP if you answer yes to
certain questions during the application.

#12 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

@bullstreetboy you could enquire if you could have your licence re issued to your driving licence rather than your passport if that helped you by enabling it to be sent out?

Either way Martyn is correct to my knowledge from personally dealing with the Home Office that the checks necceserry for postal delivery are almost prohibitively restrictive, photo ID must be physically presented in person to the person supplying the precursors to you, that could be the delivery driver who would be required by law to examine it and your licence, verify it is indeed you and sign the section on the ticket along with fill out the details as the delivery driver would be in effect the supplier. Nothing else will satisfy their requirements. Less than ideal I know but I still see it as a step towards acceptance of our hobby.

#13 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:13 AM

The up side of the EPP licence is that you can trade with any chemical seller who has the stock. It's permissible to buy from other than the limited number of pyro chem stockists.

While it may be a PITA to drive 250 miles to collect in person, there will be chemical sellers to professional industry closer that you could use.

http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#14 michaelp

michaelp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:36 AM

It always seems to me whenever i see a bargain no matter what it is its always geographically the other end of the country to me.

What if the suppliers worked out a visiting schedule where if they had enough orders they would travel to a certain location, say a B&Q store car park to meet up with the buyers, clearly it has to be worthwhile to both parties but if the amounts are right it could work. Just a thought.

#15 bullstreetboy

bullstreetboy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Thanks Guys

My EPP as it stands is only for 1KG of perc plus 1KG of P chlorate. I didn't want to apply for a large amount in case it jeperdised the application. So you can probably understand my reluctance to travel far.

I appreciate that some chems have to be controlled and I'm not criticising the process. Had I known of the difficulty of living so far away from suppliers I probalby wouldn't have bothered at all.

I may just try making my own as Martyn suggested. In the interim I guess its' back to the tried and trusted KN03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users