20 replies to this topic

#16 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

Well I just learned my first lesson the hard way... almost. Two accidents in one day, almost.

I made a rocket today. Similar to an estes style. Just a small core. I also added some loose chrissy 6 star mix meshed through 40, at the end of the case. I decided to use a stick that was only 5 times as long. Instead of putting it at the top of the case, I stuck it half way down.

So I put it in the launch tube, ignite, whoosh, it goes up maybe 6 feet then somehow switches to a 90 degree angle and flys off over my backdoor and across the roof of a neigbours house. It was almost scary. Anyway I wont be using a short stick again.

#17 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

Or maybe only test small items and things you know will work in your back garden. I can understand it may be hard to find a suitable testing site, but I dont think your neighbours would sympathise if a rocket went through their window and set their bedroom on fire.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#18 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 09:15 PM

It was only a 4cm rocket. I had added some star mix so i didnt want something to go too high.

#19 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 02:24 PM

Pritch,

With all due respect, I'd have to agree with Adam adn even expound, the words in your post, "It was Only A ___ Rocket", Well, it did fly, which meant it burnt, it also flew over your house and luckily for you not into it.

In the Club I belong to we have what they call "Shadetree Pyro's", I guess coined from the term "Shadetree Mechanics", Well, no offense meant to you personally but these so called shade tree Mechanics have certainly given the "good Neighbor" policy a black eye, I think A 4 CM rock or any other devise capable of leaving earths natural gravity should be tested with due respect for it's possible consequence. I guess what I am trying to day is, Don't become a shadetree Pyro.

I have followed the package directs on a 12 pack of jumping jacks before and set 6 small grass fires in less than 15 seconds, yes I was younger and did'nt take into account it had not rained in a week, but hey, They were only 3X16mm Jumpingjacks.........

Respectful Regards,

Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#20 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

Yeh I know your all right and pretty much any firework can be dangerous if fired in a small area. I guess I haven't been doing much contingency planning. Im not as obsessed with pyro right now and can bare to wait an extra 5 minutes to walk down to the seafront. I just coulnd't wait to fire before and rushed things which I know is a cardinal sin.

#21 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 11:47 PM

I should have probally also mentioned that just outside of my back garden is a large field which is probally at least 200 by 200 feet. Just its a little akward to get into so I fire from my back garden at a slight angle so they head into the field. Anyway that last incident has reminded me that their not allways going to go in the correct direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users