• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bobconan

bobconan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:51 AM

I notice many people associate the word pyro with fire(duh). In fact tho i hate fire. Some people ive talked to like fire and watch it but when i see fire my first reaction is to put it out not stare. Am I an exception or is this just a mark of a true Pyrotechnican from a pyromaniac. Although if you can make the fire purple or blue i might stare.

Edited by bobconan, 19 May 2004 - 02:51 AM.

I like blue

#2 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:05 PM

Strange - I never heard of people associating fireworks and fire - but then again, around here people only have a chat about the weather.

No ? people who like fireworks are called fireworks lovers, and people who love fire are called arsonist or firemen ? depend on the side of the law they are on.

I will go to the extreme and say that I don?t like pyrotechnic and I do no like to be called pyrotechnician. I am a firework maker. I prefer that the organization representing me in particular will not be called pyrotechnic guild international or the British pyrotechnic society ? if I had the choice, I would go with the old British institute (before it merged with the BPA) ? ?the fireworks makers guild?.

I except the fact that firework making is a branch of pyrotechnic but resent it at the same time. I greatly delight myself with the fact that both Lancaster and Shimizu did not include the word ?pyrotechnics? in the titles of their most renown published works - For I am a firework maker ? and a proud one at that!

Edited by BigG, 19 May 2004 - 01:06 PM.

#3 bobconan

bobconan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:20 PM

Some of my less firework minded friends just kinda assumed that i like fire and making stuff burn and also that i want to blow stuff up but that might be because of the perpetuated myth of there being craters in my backyard. Lately it seems fireman and arsonist have become interchangable. :(

Edited by bobconan, 19 May 2004 - 01:23 PM.

I like blue

#4 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 01:43 PM

I would not call myself a pyromaniac (although I do love the stuff), or a pyrotechnician. I feel that word has beed used way too much, ecspecially the people (from lesser forums) who call themselves pyrotechnicians when they've never made a firework, just "cobs" and other worthless items, and I most certainly don't want to be put in the same dirty hole as them.

I aggree with BigG - firework maker is a much nicer term.

Then again.....

Pyrotechnician - see
Pyrotechnist:
The art of manufacturing or setting off fireworks. Also called pyrotechny.
A fireworks display.
A brilliant display, as of rhetoric or wit, or of virtuosity in the performing arts.

Pyromaniac:
The irresistible urge to start fires

I like pyrotechny-ist

#5 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 02:36 PM

Yes, I saw a similar definition in the Collins Concise English Dictionary ? and I can?t disagree more. Having an explosion effect in a movie is a technique in fire (pyrotechnic) and has nothing to do with fireworks.

#6 pritch

pritch

rocket man

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 03:10 PM

I must admit I have allways enjoyed setting fires. Bit of a facination since I was very young. I used to allways set fires in the park with my freinds. I'm not talking about huge bush fires here, just a pile of sticks and leaves. I've allways thought the love of setting a fire was pretty natural with most males. I must admit I have set a couple of fires where the fire brigade has been called out as well. Now im sounding like a pyromaniac. Like we set a big fire on the beach once when we were fishing and some idiot phoned them. I think its a bit of a survival instinct. Fire really could save your life. It's a good thing to understand.

#7 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 05:20 PM

Pyrotechnist is the preferred form. To save any argument lets just call us Green Men (or 'Green People' to be politically correct)
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#8 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

Fire really could save your life. It's a good thing to understand.

True it is a very useful survival skill... There's nothing more satisfying than making a fire from scratch (no matches) ecspecially if ou're going to be toasting cheese and pickle sandwiches... mmmm.
I spent some time in the girl guides (another story :rolleyes: ) and the scouts, where I learnt my skills, which come in handy when you need warming up on a secluded shetland beach (there's NO trees!)

Reminds me of a demonstration I carried out up there to outline the dangers of adding water to a chip pan fire (or a bucket full of flaming candle wax :P ) Not a good one to try at home, unless you want a 40ft column of fire in your garden.

#9 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:13 PM

eversince i was a little kid i have been facinated with fire. the was the flames in a campfire move. how in forest fires it creates those powerful winds and how it can move so fast over hill sides.

#10 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:42 PM

Anyone else scared?

:unsure:
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#11 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 03:18 PM

Only by the vision I now have in my mind of evil winds of death :D . Never really thought about internal forest fire dynamics before. Dan - I take it you live somewhere that doesn't get much rain?

#12 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:01 PM

Only by the vision I now have in my mind of evil winds of death :D .  Never really thought about internal forest fire dynamics before.  Dan - I take it you live somewhere that doesn't get much rain?

Creepen_Pyro i live in a place where we do get rain esspecially in the summer time. it is also very humid all the time where i live to. i just see the forest fires and things like that on the discovery channel.

#13 blueflame

blueflame

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:57 PM

Anyone else scared?

:unsure:

View Post

lol i was thinking the same thing.

#14 Guest_wwwsimondorncom_*

Guest_wwwsimondorncom_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:09 PM

Love fire... If it has a use of course. Love fireworks more though. Bought a multifuel fireplace for my house. Reduced my dustbin bags from 2 a week to one tenth of a bag. Shame I moved to a house that doesnt need a log burner.
Been called a pyromaniac - even though I have never been one. Mind you I did nearly manage to set fire to my bedroom when I was 11 a home experiment with aftershave and a lighter. Since then I burnt my fingers more times than I can remember. :glare:
Made my first banger when I was 13 (now I'm 33) out of a packet of swan vestas matches (if anyone is really that interested I can tell you how)
Been making fireworks seriously since I was about 20. Wasnt it great when you could go to the local chemist to buy Kno3 in 100g boxes? :D

The worst experience with fire was when I lived in a flat with my girlfriend in Russia. I woke on new years day at 2am to find the flats below on fire. One guy was dead at the bottom of the stairs. :(

I guess the only fear I had in my life about fire was being fired! Now I am my own boss, its not as likely (!) :blush:

#15 Helmetfire

Helmetfire

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 09:48 PM

Mmmm fire, the ultimate clenser. Who can fail to be impressed by the sheer beauty and power of this, the most quixotic of natures elements... And the science behind it is amazing as well.
If in doubt BANG OUT!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users