#1 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:48 PM

Alright, I have a few questions;

1. Exactly what good is iodine crystals to any plausable pyrotechnic mixture?
I have a lot of them; a friend acquired them (don't know how) and gave them to me, around 20 ounces of them.

2. what good are Iron filings :huh:; could someone give me some compositions that I could use? The mesh is around 80-100.

3.I actually am striving to make my own fuse, AKA not buying fuse any more. Anybody have any good, slow, and reliable formulas that may be good for coating string with for some fuse?
-mini

Edited by miniskinny, 18 June 2004 - 03:51 AM.

When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#2 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:58 PM

Read the MSDS for iodine crystals. Good stuff, its a must. Sorry too much of a hurry to post link.

P.S If your going to expirement, All I can say is REALLY know what you are doing.

Marcus
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#3 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:19 AM

miniskinny,

Regarding points 2 and 3, please make use of the search funtion on the forum. You will find that there are formulas posted with regards to both of these points.

As for iodene, I know it will give you purple smoke, other than that I personaly have not used it for anything else but as pointed out, check the safety msds notes and that goes for any chemicals used in formulas. Always a good idea to understand possible side effects etc.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#4 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:59 AM

1. Exactly what good is iodine crystals to any plausable pyrotechnic mixture?

Depends what you mean by Plausable pyrotechnic mixture - I'm pretty sure Iodine is not used in any fireworks. It is used in "water starts a fire" type lab demonstrations, and is the precursor to some nasty compounds.

#5 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:13 AM

1- I had wondered if iodine might work as a colour enhancer, being a halogen. However, it isn't used in any firework formulae that I'm aware of, so it probably doesn't, and also because it slowly sublimes and disappears from your firework comp, but reappears all over eveyrthing in the vicinity.

That is how purple iodine smoke is produced - the iodine vapourises then solidifies again in the air. However, if you do this, be extremely careful to keep well out of the smoke, as it is poisonous and will turn you purple.

2- Iron filings are probably the fifth most useful chemical you can have (KNO3, C, S and Dextrin being just before them). Take a look at Flashy's avatar, for example.

3- BP:90, Dextrin:10 is a little slower that the normal 95:5.

#6 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:05 AM

Miniskinny, a word of warning. You may find directions for making Ammonium Iodide elesewhere on the web with your iodine crystals, please DO NOT do it. This is a VERY sensitive and unstable explosive that can cause injury or death. This is so sensitive that a fly landing on it or touching it with a feather can cause it to explode violently. It is a nasty mixture best avoided even by the experienced.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#7 ash

ash

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:41 PM

To add another word of warning, Ammonium Iodide is also called Nitrogen Triiodide. Watch this to see why you shouldnt really be making it:

Nitrogen Triiodide explosion

Can I suggest you dont use Iodine in pyrotechnic compounds, not unless you want everything stained purple brown. Plus getting iodine vapour in your eyes/lungs is none too wise either.

#8 bobconan

bobconan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:07 PM

I have a solution to all problems. Give me the iodine and Iron filings and Ill give you fuse :lol: :P
I like blue

#9 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:40 PM

Eh, I'm actually going to get rid of the iodine then...Or better, sell it to someone on Ebay; the prices there for iodine are pretty steep. I have heard of triiodide crystals (bombed the name, sorry), and I have NOT desired to make them, nor do I ever intend to try, unless I'm in need of some fly traps :lol:. But I actually was given extra credit in 9th grade science to perform the "water makes fire" experiment in front of my class; though my teacher was rather disturbed, when he later asked me how many differant chemicals I owned. It seems that he didn't really trust me to make fireworks <_< . Anyway...Next time I'll search around before I just mindlessly post; make sure that my topic wasn't already answered.
-mini

By the way, I got the mixture of "water makes fire" from unitednuclear.com, NOT the "Negative X" that they have in a step-by-step method, though that is probably a safer method to obtain a chemical composition that ignites by water.
Water starts fire -united nuclear-

Edited by miniskinny, 18 June 2004 - 07:44 PM.

When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#10 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 09:31 AM

Enough. If you made high explosive - we DON'T want to hear about it here. Enough was mentioned on the subject.

P.S.

This post is referring to someone whose post I have deleted ? not to the last person on this thread.

Edited by BigG, 19 June 2004 - 09:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users