• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:45 PM

I ordered some Barium Carbonate on an impulse a while ago thinking I might be able to get a good green out of it.

As yet I've been unsuccussful in finding [or formulating] a decent green. Does anybody have any insight or formula's?

#2 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:41 AM

There is a barium carbonate green in Skylighter Bulletin 50:

Potassium Perchlorate.....40
Barium Carbonate............30
Dark Flash Aluminium......15
Parlon or Saran...............15

However, I guess that doesn't really help you much. I've been thinking about about using my barium carbonate to make some barium chlorate. There is a lot of info on the subject here.

Edited by Phoenix, 08 July 2004 - 10:44 AM.

#3 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:43 AM

It's hard to get a good green out of it without metal fuel.

i've made some pale greens with it, but nothing spectacular like using the nitrate or chlorate.

There was that radiant green someone posted on here a while ago, similar to the one Phoneix just posted.

Edited by alany, 08 July 2004 - 10:45 AM.

#4 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:16 AM

Try and find a formula that includes magnalium and a chlorine donor. This will help to excite the flame colouring species and also bring out a better green. If you can get some Barium Nitrate this will be helpful.

For example: Veline Green:

Potassium Perchlorate 30
Barium Nitrate 24
Barium Carbonate 15
Parlon 15
Magnalium, granular, -200 mesh 11
Red Gum 5
Dextrin 4

#5 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:35 PM

Just a little thought: the binary green flash packs consist of a white powder (Kcl04?) and a bright orange powder. I'm pretty sure there's no metal in there. I can't think of any chems which would colour the composition bright orange, then again, I have not mixed any green formula, or seen any Barium salts.

I would definately not call it a flash - more of a coloured fire, nicely saturated. Mabye suited to stars. Any thoughts as to what's making it orange?

#6 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 12:45 PM

Sounds like an organic fuel, perhaps Accroides resin (red gum), or Shellac, in combination with a barium salt and a chlorine donor I should imagine.

The binary formulations usually contain the only/multiple oxidising agents in one bottle, and all the fuels, chlorine donors, retardants etc in another bottle. For example a green formulation may contain potassium perchlorate and barium nitrate.

#7 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

I had thought it was probably red gum or shellac, but after using these gums before, I've never seen them colour the whole composition a uniform bright orange. I can't imagine them causing this colouration in such small percentages that they are usually added to formula. In my experience, they just add a tint to lighter comps, and dissapear in darker ones.

The non-oxidiser powder was super-clumpy, and the oxidiser free flowing, looks like Kcl04.

Any other thoughts on the orange colour?

#8 chim-chim

chim-chim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:13 PM

A rather small (>2%) amount of red iron oxide would/could make a white powder (baruim nitrate/carbonate) a salmon/orange color. I use it in KNO3/Sucrose rocket fuel and it's rather orange. They may use it as a catalyst.
-Chim-Chim

It's gonna take a lot of fireworks to clean this place up.
-Homer Simpson

#9 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:37 PM

Perhaps search for coloured flash formula's and find something along the lines suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users