• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

i was wondering if anyone knew any formulas to make a some what blue colored star using copper (II) oxide and kno3. it does not have to be a bright blue color.
thx

#2 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 01:38 PM

After a short search, this was the best I could find:

Potassium Nitrate................................65
Copper oxychloride................................12.5
Lactose...................... .....................12.5
Dextrin...........................................5
Saran.............................................5

I've read that Copper Oxychloride can be replaced by Copper Oxide in some formulas - never tested it.

I don't think this will be a very good blue. I've had minimal success even with Kcl04....... Ammonium Perchlorate seems to be a must-have for a good blue colour.

#3 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:07 PM

It is possible to get a good blue useing kclo4. Shimizu have 2 formulas both useing kclo4. One with CuO and one CuCO3. I have tested the CuO one.

It is true that AP (best with CuCO3) makes the best blues, but that does not mean that other blue formulas are useless.

I firts thought that it was impossible to produce a good blue with out AP, but this is NOT the case.

Interesting to read about blue stars:
http://www.skylighte...cle.asp?Item=12

By the way, One of Shimizu's formulas hare listed in the link (Formula B9). I?m useing pure chemicals and I get a most acceptable blue. Better blue then in any of the comersial fireworks I have tested. Prime is needed.

EDIT: The Shimizu formula is lited as B9

We live in a free world. This is waht I think, and you don?t have to. Just trying to help...

Edited by Yugen-biki, 08 July 2004 - 02:42 PM.

#4 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:13 PM

thx i will give it a shot

#5 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:21 PM

After a short search, this was the best I could find:

I've read that Copper Oxychloride can be replaced by Copper Oxide in some formulas - never tested it.

I don't think this will be a very good blue.  I've had minimal success even with Kcl04.......  Ammonium Perchlorate seems to be a must-have for a good blue colour.

Ammonium Perchlorate is not needed for good blues. However, the formula above will not produce blue - it is too cold.

#6 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:23 PM

this link has a Shimizu composition listed. Lots f good reading about blues...

I've always been dissapointed with blue/purple star formulas. I've tried Veline, and a few other organically fuelled ones with limited success. Perhaps I need to get some Copper Carbonate, as I only have the Oxide ATM.

I was thinking of altering a Strontium Nitrate comp with Copper Oxide, or the other way round, as I've never seen a purple comp comtaining the two. Seems to me like it would work rather well :unsure:

Edit:

I forgot about the Blesser purple :rolleyes: That's a real nice colour, but I'm still searching for a more vivid, deeper hue.

Edited by Creepin_pyro, 08 July 2004 - 04:28 PM.

#7 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:31 AM

Sorry to bring up an old topic but I have something to share. I tried the comp posted by creeping pyro

The only thing I didn't have was the saran so I substituted that with PVC powder. Then again my PVC was from a ground up piece of water pipe run through a coffee grinder for a while so this could have been the problem, I am not sure. But the comp didn't really burn with any flame. It just made a molten blob of red junk. I think it is very heavily fueled, or maybe I havn't a clue but something doesn't work. I guess it just too cold as Big G said. Does anyone have any ideas to improve this? Or any blue that uses KNO3 as the oxidizer and not any chlorates or perchlorates as I don't have access to them in Australia. I do however have copper oxichloride and cupper hydroxide which I was thinking of making copper chloride via nuetralization with HCl.

Edited by Daniel Scott, 06 August 2004 - 01:33 AM.

#8 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:09 AM

pvc pipe contains a lot of filler it ruins the comps. it is not pure pvc. i heard sculpty was alright though u can get it at a art supply craft store. it is oven baked clay that is mostly pvc.

#9 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2004 - 05:55 AM

I knew about the fillers in the PVC pipe but I didn't think it would stop it from burning! Any other things apart from sculpy? Sorry for my ignorance but what is sculpy actually used for in crafts?

#10 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:11 AM

I knew about the fillers in the PVC pipe but I didn't think it would stop it from burning! Any other things apart from sculpy? Sorry for my ignorance but what is sculpy actually used for in crafts?

Guys - you CAN NOT make any colours using KNO3 as your premier oxidizer without metallic fuels. KNO3 is not capable of producing a hot enough flame for colour. This is a basic fact in firework making. Get some books.

If you want go get colours using KNO3 you will need magnesium, magnelium and for some of the simpler colours (such as red), even fine aluminium will work (and when I say fine we are talking about 3-8 micron ? not 200 mesh)

For blue ? even metallic fuels are not likely to help you ? they are too hot!

I?m sorry ? you will need perchlorates or chlorates ? and even then, making really good blue is an art form.

In addition, oxide actually makes a slightly better blue then carbonate ? then all of those who did not do well as oxide ? don?t give up ? it takes a lot of fine tuning to get that sneaky blue!

#11 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:23 PM

I disagree. I am going to prove you wrong:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did any of these use chlorates? What do you think? The purple one was very much blue in real life but the camera doesn't take it to well.

#12 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:35 PM

What was the composition? I'll make some up myself to test it.

#13 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:42 PM

You will probably think less of me because I have to improvise to get a blue colour :( Here in Australia chlorates and perhclorates are hard to find but they can be found, you just have to have the money.

The first is a 60/40 mix of Copper oxichloride and -325 spherical aluminium respectivly. The second is 55/45 Copper oxichloride to zinc dust. I made these myself. I tried the second into a star but something went wrong when I made them into stars as they sort of fluffed themselves up and broke up when drying! No idea why but I should try this again sometime.

Note the first with alumnium I needed a sparkler to ignight it so I don't know if this is of any use because it has such a high ingition temp.

#14 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:57 PM

Interesting, coloured thermites. Could give coloured crackle or glitter if used as microstars... I never considered putting chlorine into a thermite to try and get a colour out of it.

How do you prepare the copper oxychloride? I don't have any at present.

I don't think less of you at all, I know all too well how hard it is to get (per)chlorates in Australia.

#15 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2004 - 01:09 PM

I wouldn't consider them to be a thermite. The second burns very softly and gentle. Worked in a pill box star though. It was while back so I don't remember much :P The zinc comp ignites very easily from a match - unlike the alumnium comp.

I get the copper oxichloride from bunnings of all places! It is in a yellow box and 200g will set you back about $7 <_< Not bad not good. If you put a match to a pile of the oxichloride it gives them most amazig blue colour - I just wish I could harness it into a star. It says 400g/kg available copper present as copper oxichloride which works out to be around 90% The other part is probably copper hydroxide or something similar. It is pure enough to make the blue colour.

Forgot to add that the oxichloride and magnesium (-325 mesh spherical) in a 50/50 ratio is a faint purple flash powder. It burns very fast with a whomp sound.

So you CAN make a blue without chlorates and perchlorates. Just may not be very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users