• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:04 AM

Well thought I would order a press from Hobbyfireworks.com but decided against spending $300 when I could get a 12 ton instead of a 4 ton for almost 1/3 of the cost.

Just wondering if this press is fine for pyro use. Only thing is a blast shield. I think the shields sold at hobbfireworks are not wide enough so any idea on a good type of shield available? Tryed a search but no results.

Lastly any idea on how to install a guage because I believe consistent pressures are good.

#2 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:47 AM

Should be a fine press.

It is very similar to mine, except mine is a true H-frame rather than coming to a point at the top.

You can buy a gauge with a cylinder, like the ones Wolter Pyro Tools and Harold sell, which requires no modification to the jack. Otherwise you need to dismantle the jack, drill and tap a hole in the correct place, then install a gauge that reads the oil pressure. You then need to work out the calibration based on the size of the cylinder, etc.

There was a website that described the process of adding a gauge to the press, but I can't find it right now?

#3 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:14 PM

Bit about a fancy press here...

Dan Williams
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#4 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:43 PM

Thanks both alany and phil. Appreciate the help only thing is a suitable blast shield. Plexiglass shatters and fragments I hear so no good in an accident.

Ive heard Lexan is good, thanks Warren, but I am looking for the strongest stuff available. I dont intend on having any mistakes but more so a just incase measure. What do all of you guys use?

#5 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 08:18 AM

italteen3,
If you can get lexan it will do the job. It is the same stuff they use for helicopter windows and can withstand very high impacts. If you can only get hold of the thinner pannels then use a few layers with a bit of space between each.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#6 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 02:45 AM

Looking into a 20"x12" sheet of 3/8" Lexan for around $70. Also found an "H" frame shop press also a 12 ton instead of the "A" frame 12 ton shop press for only $15 more. Figure it would last longer so I said why not. This is my press.

If anyone needs a prebuilt press I would highly recomend Harborfreight if you dont mind the higher fees if ordering out of USA.

Think 3/8" should be fine for whistles up to 5/8" and BP rockets up to 4lbs?

Lastly if anyone would like to know where to get some lexan up to 1/2" thick and 4'x8' let me know. (It is a US source though, just incase you cant get any where you are)

#7 Dan

Dan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 04:13 AM

i have been looking into getting a lexan or bullet resistance glass for a press that i want to build. i just googled things like bullet resistant glass lexan size etc.
hopefulley that will help
Dan

#8 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 08:53 PM

I got a press form www.northerntools.co.uk

?63 for a 6 tonne press, unfortunatly its like a bloody macano set with bad assembly instructions!

Also, some of the presision engineered bolt holes are not so precise and required a drilling out or a bit of work witha round file...

Fraser
"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#9 Patrick

Patrick

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:09 PM

Buying is too easy, I'm more of a build it yourself. I already had jacks around the house, so it made no sense to by a press with another jack.

I basically went with the passfire design. Out of the wooden designs I found, that appeared to be the strongest. A couple $$ in bolts, screws and three 2x10's is all it took. For about $35 I had my press, not including jack.

Edited by Patrick, 21 August 2004 - 03:10 PM.

#10 StarScream

StarScream

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 09:31 PM

You can buy a gauge with a cylinder, like the ones Wolter Pyro Tools and Harold sell, which requires no modification to the jack.  Otherwise you need to dismantle the jack, drill and tap a hole in the correct place, then install a gauge that reads the oil pressure.  You then need to work out the calibration based on the size of the cylinder, etc.

View Post

Does anybody have more info on where you can buy these types of gauges? Sure would be easier than modifying the bottle jack. The Wolter one looks great, and the price isn't too outrageous either. How much is the one from Harold? (Is he a member here or something?)

More info on this subject would be great if anyone has any, including how to add a gauge to a bottle jack as alany mentioned.
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

#11 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:00 PM

See http://deskmedia.com...tbn/HAROLD1.htm for more info.

#12 Lil_Guppy

Lil_Guppy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 07:40 AM

Ok... A local auto store is having a bit of a sale, and one of the items are "H" presses. They come in 6, and 12 tonne ratings, priced at $99 and $119 respectively. However (there is always a however), they are out of stock of the 12 tonne presses, and could not tell me when they will have more in, if they will come in before the end of the sale, or if they could order one in for me. Most likely, they just want me to pay the full, non-special price :P My question is, what advantages does a 12 tonne press have over the 6 tonne press (other than the first one can press more :P). What kind of tasks require a 12 tonne press, and which tasks can be done on a 6 tonne press.

Another question that just popped into my head... Does anyone know if the framing of a 6 tonne press is the same as the 12 tonne. In other words, is it the same press, just with a higher rated hydraulic jack in it. The reason I am asking is that I have a 12 tonne truck jack somewhere around here.

But anyway, if I do manage to somehow get them to get in a 12 tonne press, then all is good. If not, and the 6 tonne is going to suit my needs, then I will settle on that. If they cant get a 12 tonne in, and a 6 tonne is not really suitable, then I guess I will just have to dig out the truck jack and make my own :P
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!

#13 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:09 AM

I've seen lots of 6 ton presses with THIS type of frame, but all the 12 ton ones seem to have H frames. Looks like a bargain to me - wish I could find a similar one in the UK :(

I'm not sure how far you can go with 6 tonnes... Should depend on what you want to press. Dry-pressing large comets takes alot of pressure, but for relatively small work, I think 6 tonnes should be sufficient.

#14 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:13 PM

Well Creepin' Pyro, you can get a 10 ton press in the uk for just under 200 quid including the dreaded VAT.

http://www.machinema...30&r=2054&g=107
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#15 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:52 PM

Looks nice. Thanks for the link. Still looking for one that costs 65 dollars, though :P

Looks like I've got some saving up to do....
Unless I can find one in a skip, of course :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users