823 replies to this topic

#166 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 04:41 PM

talking about fuses is there anywhere you can get fuses or do i have to make it myself
Got some chemicals to sell?
i might buy them just PM me

#167 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 09:02 PM

We all know that you descovered the search thing...

Blackmatch is cheap, easy to make and efective. if you are waried about reliability use a longer piece, cos its so easy to make it doesnt mater.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#168 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 02:11 PM

We all know that you descovered the search thing...

Blackmatch is cheap, easy to make and efective. if you are waried about reliability use a longer piece, cos its so easy to make it doesnt mater.

View Post

ok i will try that

#169 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:22 AM

I find the best info for blackmatch is on peoples personal pages, i use a combonation of diferent techniques. While we are on the subject, today i made 30m of blackmatch! :D :P That will last me a while! :D and its good quality double stranded stuff too, not the crappy one strand stuff! I used an entire roll of string.

#170 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

not the crappy one strand stuff! I used an entire roll of string.

Hey! :o This crappy onestranded stuff is the best choice, if you can make only small holes in tubes etc. and need a fast firing rate...

But of course you are right :) For firing shells etc, the thin blackmatch is really not the most reliable choice to work with.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#171 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

Ok. I know the one strand stuff has its uses and thats why I make it too. but I find the two strand stuff can be used for very small devices, pretty much any thing but tiny rockets and sttill be succesful. If we want to continue this discussion we should perhaps move it to a thread dedecated to fuses ;)

Edited by seymour, 21 March 2005 - 08:06 PM.

#172 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:48 PM

sulpher makes flash powder more powerful too.
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#173 Flashy

Flashy

Safety First!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:54 PM

sulpher makes flash powder more powerful too.

View Post

I thought Sulphur made flash powder more sensitive. I had always beleived that the most powerful flash powder was made with perc / V.fine aluminium powder.

#174 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

talking about fuses is there anywhere you can get fuses or do i have to make it myself

Oh come on... you are talking like you want to make flash but don't even know about fuses.... learn to walk before you run, or you're not going to be going anywhere apart from hospital or the morgue.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#175 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:56 PM

There is debate that Sulphur / Sulphides sharpen the report of flash compositions, whether this is the case or not I am unsure. I would advise against the addition of these components to any flash composition as it seems that a small change in the overall effect is masked somewhat by the increased risks.

#176 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:11 PM

I have to agree with Richard H in that case.

Most sulphur that is used by hobbypyro?s isn?t chemicaly pure sulphur. So the risk of unwanted reactions is allways there.

And sulphurcompunds like Sb2S3 make flashmixtures much more friction sensitive. The flash really sounds different with sulphur(compounds) but it is NOT worth the risk!

"normal" 7/3 KClO4/Al flash itself is sensitive enough to handle, and it sounds only a bit different. The sound is a bit deeper without. WITH its more like a very loud sharp crack.

My flickr photo album

#177 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:47 AM

I have to agree with Richard H in that case.

Most sulphur that is used by hobbypyro?s isn?t chemicaly pure sulphur. So the risk of unwanted reactions is allways there.

And sulphurcompunds like Sb2S3 make flashmixtures much more friction sensitive. The flash really sounds different with sulphur(compounds) but it is NOT worth the risk!

"normal" 7/3 KClO4/Al flash itself is sensitive enough to handle, and it sounds only a bit different. The sound is a bit deeper without. WITH its more like a very loud sharp crack.

View Post

I too would have to agree with Richard H.

Flash is something that should not be taken lightly. 70/30 flash is already very powerful and sensitive. Why make something that is meant to be a deep boom into a sharp crack like Paul said even if it is what you desire. It is a risk that doesnt seem to be worth it. Our hobby is already a risk we have accepted but try to limit to preven injury. I wouldnt pile more risks onto our hobby unless they too have been limited, with proper and pure chems and proper facilities.

Perfect the basics, do your research on Flash. Buy Ofca's book from Skylighter about flash and salutes. Then if you feel comfortable about it and feel that you have proper facilities and space to make and use flash try some out. Definately do research and try to stick to regular 70/30 flash even if you do get all of that.

#178 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:20 AM

i have done some reserch and found a formula which is 2 oz of al and 4 oz of perc is this any good?

#179 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

Ah, you did some research?! And as a result you got: Mix 170g flash powder out of KClO4 and aluminium?!

Sorry but I wouldn?t call this research. If you found a text like this "...mix only very small amounts like 0,6g Al and 1,4g KClO4...." I would trust the source. You can use oz everywhere but NOT if you want to work with flash.

Sounds like anarchist cookbook amounts... Incredible dangerous!

Anyway: 2:1 is a waste of both, Al and KClO4....

My flickr photo album

#180 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

6oz of flash is not really a good thing, in fact for your level of experiance it is stupid. If you had 6oz of flash that was made correctly it would easily be enough to kill you and any of your school mates that happen to be watching. As people have already said to you before, don't run before you can crawl. Go and make 100g of BP, that is more than enough to keep you ammused. When you have grown up a little and grown out of the 'burning BP piles on the floor phase', you might consider something a little more complicated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users