823 replies to this topic

#181 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:00 PM

Flash is the most sensitive mixture we use in fireworks. You do not make it in large amounts. Mixing in EU factories is done in 50g batches, and you are not in a factory! Max flash in a device in the EU is 6g - few grams is the most you need to do!

In italy for example, they use only BP to break shells - what reason do you have to use anything else?

Of course as Andrew mentioned - you should not touch flash at all until you are very competent!

Edited by BigG, 23 March 2005 - 01:04 PM.

#182 cunning_plan

cunning_plan

will

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:42 PM

just out of intrest, what were/are you intending to make flash for? and where exactly is that "formula" from?

#183 aapua

aapua

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

Ah, you did some research?! And as a result you got: Mix 170g flash powder out of KClO4 and aluminium?!

Sorry but I wouldn?t call this research.

View Post

Don't be so critical!!! Of course, this IS research, only in this case we all are at least scientists! :D

Btw, it's been ages since I read something really interesting from newspapers, so let the kid play!

To They say I'm crazy:
making 170 g of flash powder? Cool!!! You're my favourite here in the forum!!! This mixture, 2:1 is pretty good for you. So, go ahead and make your powder. Only, I would add something to it. Just to increase the power. Isn't that what you want, ah?

OK. To that 170 gr add 10 grams of RED PHOSPHORUS. Oooooops... Sorry, I forgot, you didn't have scales... Right? Second try: to that 170 gr add 2 teaspoons of red phosphorus (very fine powder) and 5 teaspoons of simple sand, grain size appr. 2 mm (hope you can measure at least that). Now, really imporant. Put all the stuff into a very solid and hard GLASS BOTTLE, AND SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE, UNTIL...........

PS. I'm sorry, I can't come to your funeral because of very long distance... But I do send some flowers. What are your favourite flowers???

#184 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:50 PM

:o :unsure: Aapua, that's not very nice. :mellow: There are ways of discouraging people from making dangerous comps without resorting to sarcasm. Remember, we dont want to scare anyone into the evil realm of the anarchists cookbook. They Say I'm Crazy, just stick with me and you'll be alright. To get started a good page is Matts pyro page:www.geocities.com/mini_bielecki/ Im sure he won't mind. Just start in the "Stars, powder, fuse" section and then work your way from there. Another good page is Phildunford's: www.thegreenman.me.uk/ Start in the "Processes" page. My knowlege and experience is limeted compared to most people here but at least I will be friendly :glare: . If you want to ask any questions, give me a personal message (PM) or E-mail me at seymour_alamasi@hotmail.com.

And one more thing... Richard the great, I was hoping to change my name from seymour to Seymour. With your mystical powers would you be able to make this change? And therefore save me from the world of names with lower case beginings for all of eternity.

Edited by seymour, 24 March 2005 - 02:26 PM.

The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#185 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:19 PM

aapua

why encourage the kid to make 180grams of death mix

Now don't be such a jerk and help they say i'm crazy.

Use your head and think what would happen if he had mixed FP with Red P.

MORE BAD PUBLICITY FOR PYRO!

It's better that he asks some silly questions here than not asking them at all and mixing god knows what

#186 aapua

aapua

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:46 PM

OK, sorry everyone, seems I really overreacted a bit. Sorry once again.

See, I've been working in the military field about 6 years and one product our company makes is so-called "big-bang explosive packets". In there we use 200 gr 70/30 perc-al mixture. Although mixing process is made under very controlled condition and the portions of mixture are small, I say I could sleep well again only after the serie is finished. This mixture is really deadly, why playing with something like that at all? There are more mixturex containing Al-powder and making good noise but what are not so dangerous - like the simpliest one, where in BP mixture C is replaced with Al-powder and small amount of H3BO3 is added as a stabilizer.

To THEY SAY I'M CRAZY:
About "research". Go to Google, type "pyrotechnics" and see what you'll get. Of course some Anatrchist's cookbook and Terrorist's handbook, but many good homepages as well. Or type "pyrotechnics pyro page" or something like that.

Here is one good page:
http://huizen.dds.nl...er/indexEN.html]

Anyway, good luck to you and don't make anything stupid!
Stay cool and play safe!

Edited by aapua, 24 March 2005 - 02:51 PM.

#187 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 11:13 PM

Yes, Wouter Visser's page is exelent. In fact, it is where my pyro/internet relationship started. After you have explored his page go to the links page and explore other pages. Each pyro page leads on to more so you will have an infinite sorse of quality information.

#188 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:58 AM

thanks guys for preventing my death!! i will try any well reccomended pages you send me
once again thanks! :D
Got some chemicals to sell?
i might buy them just PM me

#189 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:41 PM

Just to the newer hobbyists reading in this here are some helpful things to do when using flash.

I always do these things, though they seem miniscule(spelling?) they are a few tiny things that probably have caused accidents in the past or can in the future.

When assembling cylindrical salutes and an end plug or disc is slid in there is friction present. So what I do is before any flash or anything is put into the tube I fit the endplug/disc into the tube and let it sit for the time I am screening, weighing, and diapering the perc and Al. I find it fits in easier with much less friction.

Also this may seem silly but if using commercial visco I like sticking about a half inch to one inch of extra fuse into the salute. The reason for this is I glue the end of the fuse where the powder core is exposed assuming there is a sulfur based core which can can minor contaminations. This is useful if you are storing, which shouldnt be done without proper facilities, which is why I dont store any flash.

Also what I do is when a salute is assembled with an end plug I gently and barely press it in just enough so it stands on its own. Then with a tool I kind of made up I press the rest of the endplug down from the salute on top from 6 feet away. They are small salutes so if an accident did occur my ears would ring at worst instead of if assembling by hand a loss of limbs.

Also guys use a respirator when working with any fine powder including Aluminum. I believe Aluminum inhalation has been linked to Alzheimers. Not a fun way to go out. Wear latex gloves and 100% cotton clothing. Latex reduces static and cotton will not fuse with your burned skin like many other clothing materials if an accident occurs.

Also purchase many books and read alot before anyone ventures further into flash.

Edited by italteen3, 25 March 2005 - 06:49 PM.

#190 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:34 AM

so... if making flash you use a 70/30 mix, make only small amounts and keep away from sources of ignition!
thanks guys.

#191 aapua

aapua

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 10:59 AM

so... if making flash you use a 70/30 mix, make only small amounts and keep away from sources of ignition!
thanks guys.

View Post

To be honest, the mixture of perc/Al seems to be pretty interesting one. 2 most common ratios are 70/30 and 72/28, they are said to be most powerful. According to stoichiometry, the rightest one is the one given by you: 2:1. This works also exellent. But, if you want to decrease the danger, why don't you try mixture 1:1? Only thing is, it ignites not so easily, you may need (actually you have to) use extra charge to ignite this mixture. It burns extreamly bright. And, actually I'm not sure how low you can go decreasing the amount of perc. I've tested 33,3% perc and 66,6% Al, it ignited terribly hard, but worked OK. I just say that 70/30 is the easiest to ignite and the most sensitive.

Still I would suggest you to start with less dangerous mixtures. KNO3, sulphur an Al-powder. If you use it in short time, even boric acid is not needed. Again, there are many ways. Few ones would be: (KNO3, S, Al) 50:25:25, 44:22:33, 40:20:40.

But be careful when working with this as well!

Greets, aapua

#192 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

But you are going to or have mastered BP before trying flash right?
I am not going to assume that just because you mention it you are going to go away and start up a flash factory. Actualy I think it is a very good idea to reserch even the most advanced topics from as early on as posible so when you are ready to think about making a comp you already know basicly all there is to know about it. Just don't get tempted to make something because you know how it's made ;)

Remember though, many people say that you can't make that good salutes with Bp and flash is the only option. This is a lie. Today I made a string of of polumna's (triangle crackers) with black powder and it sounded like a machine gun. Scared the s**t of my family, who were watching, as did the mine that I put a "touch" to much lift in. There wasn't much left of that tube! :o :P

just a test. s**t.
OH!, ITS BLEEPED OUT. NOW LETS SEE IF IT WILL TURN MY SHOUTING INTO A WHISPER?
No! now for some other words: f**k c**t bitch anarchists cookbook.
They have! Come on Richard Harwood! you have missed out the worst words of them all:
An*****sts c*******k. I f you make those words bleeped then I will give you an... er.... Ice cream! :) for free! :D (you pay for shiping)

Edited by seymour, 26 March 2005 - 12:22 PM.

#193 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:54 PM

Been smoking something? Maybe sniffing too much of the old blackpowder :rolleyes:

#194 they say im crazy

they say im crazy

67% pure pyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

But you are going to or have mastered BP before trying flash right?
I am not going to assume that just because you mention it you are going to go away and start up a flash factory. Actualy I think it is a very good idea to reserch even the most advanced topics from as early on as posible so when you are ready to think about making a comp you already know basicly all there is to know about it. Just don't get tempted to make something because you know how it's made ;)

Remember though, many people say that you can't make that good salutes with Bp and flash is the only option. This is a lie. Today I made a string of of polumna's (triangle crackers) with black powder and it sounded like a machine gun. Scared the s**t of my family, who were watching, as did the mine that I put a "touch" to much lift in. There wasn't much left of that tube! :o  :P

just a test. s**t.
OH!, ITS BLEEPED OUT. NOW LETS SEE IF IT WILL TURN MY SHOUTING INTO A WHISPER?
No! now for some other words: f**k c**t bitch anarchists cookbook.
They have! Come on Richard Harwood! you have missed out the worst words of them all:
An*****sts c*******k. I f you make those words bleeped then I will give you an... er.... Ice cream! :) for free! :D (you pay for shiping)

View Post

ha yeah you should block out arnichists cookbook however you may think i wouldn't touch that book with a 3 metere barge pole it's far too dangerous i wonder if anyone has actully made anything out of there and suvived!

#195 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

No, I doubt it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users