• Please log in to reply
823 replies to this topic

#241 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 08:23 PM

That is exactly what I was thinking Yugen. I didnt think he dealt with wood so I thought brass would be an alternative for a metal which I know he works with but I am unsure about its electrostatic properties.

PyromaniaMan I would recomend not storing any loose Flash just as a precaution.

#242 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:50 PM

Thats fair enough. could aluminium be stored in it? as a precaution against static electricity, again.

#243 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 10:57 PM

I dont see why not, it is a better alternative to the plastic container I get my Aluminum shipped in. Only question is how does the bag seal, and how well? Couldnt see anything from the picture but Im sure you know how much Dark Al likes to float.

#244 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:20 AM

When it comes to static electrisity and metal I don't think much can be done. Chose a metal that is a "non-spark" one like Al.
What you can do is to ground yourself and all metallic equipment before working with flash to ensure that everything has the same electrical potential, so no sparks forms.

I would have made my own spoon out of paper or maby wood.

#245 Draco_Americanus

Draco_Americanus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 11:03 AM

Some static bags seal very well while others have no seal and are held closed by tape. When I work with flash I wear an electricaly conductive lab coat, an ankle strap thats grounded and can even work with a static mat and monitoring station but the station is not connected yet. I also have conductive paint that I can coat containers and/or tools with. I would even state that wood can be a cause of some concern but nothing is perfect.

Edited by Draco_Americanus, 22 August 2005 - 11:04 AM.

#246 KNO3

KNO3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

Hello
Ok, ive discovered many formula for making flash powder, and have noticed that if the Oxidizer used is KNO3 then S is also used in the mix, but if the Oxidiser used is, for example, KClO4, then no S is used, is this because the S is not reactive enough to displace the Cl, or is it just highly dangerous?
For example, if i were to mix:
KClO4
Mg
S
(I would never dream of doing this, as i know that KClO4-Mg flash powders are highly dangerous, so dont worry about me)
What would happen, would it just be like a KClO4-Mg flash with the added risk of SO2, or would this be a stupidly dangerous mix?

As for usefull flash powders, ive found the KNO3-Al-S mix to be very usefull IN SMALL AMOUNTS, not to be messed with.
Also, as for the storing of flash powder, not a good idea. Mix it, the either use it, or destroy it in a sensible manner!

Edited by KNO3, 22 August 2005 - 02:53 PM.

#247 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:56 PM

Sulphur should generally never be used in chlorate compositions, and should be avoided with perchlorate compositions. While the perchlorate may be more chemically stable then the chlorate it is still nearly as sensitive to friction and impact with sulphur.

Take care.

#248 KNO3

KNO3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 04:31 PM

Not advisable then :mellow:

#249 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:23 PM

With S in it, the mixture is a little bit more energetic! But you can?t recognize this effect until you know it :P

It?s simply highly dangerous to mix S with KClO4/O3... Avoid this in any case and use clean tools for mixing etc.
Even traces of sulfur can make such a mixture overly sensitive...

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#250 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

Sulfer can be mixed with KClO4, that's what Shimizu thinks anyway...

KP:

KClO4 70
C airfloat 18
Sulfer 12
Dextrin 5

This formula is used almost exclusively in japanese warimo shell's bigger than 3''.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#251 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 05:53 PM

Yes, it can. But I would avoid it if possible. Why use formula like that when you can use nitrate based streamers that are safer to handle?

#252 KNO3

KNO3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

With S in it, the mixture is a little bit more energetic! But you can?t recognize this effect until you know it :P

It?s simply highly dangerous to mix S with KClO4/O3... Avoid this in any case and use clean tools for mixing etc.
Even traces of sulfur can make such a mixture overly sensitive...

View Post

Dont mix it with paper then, :blink:
Does this mean that S will displace the Cl in the leftover KCl?
Thanks for the advice all :D

#253 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:00 PM

At school, we once got told that there is Sulphur Dioxide in fossil fuels, such as charcoal.. could this make H3 sensitive? a little off topic, but you were talking about chlorates so i thought i'd ask here and now, if only to get told to ask the question somewhere else, or even having to start a new topic about it.

#254 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

Sigh. SO2 is a product of combustion of fossil fuels, it is a gas. Just like SO2 is a product of combustion of black powder. Secondly charcoal is not a fossil fuel, coal on the other hand is.

Someone wasn't listening very well in class!

#255 KNO3

KNO3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 04:47 PM

yes, the main problem with your question is that charcoal is (well, should be) just Carbon, although, as it is made out of a tree, it will always have tracese of things like Pottassium and cirtain salts, but generally not sulphur. Fossil fules are based on C+H compunds, snd generally have sulphur in them aswell, thus, when u burn them, they produce SO2 gas.

Richard H, from what i know about the BP reaction, there "should" be no SO2 produced, (please do correct me if i am wrong) only Pottassium Sulpide, Nitrogen and CO2 should be produced. Although, i suppose that as BP burns at a high temp and that an Oxidizing agent is preasent, there will be some unwanted reactions between the S and the KNO3. Is this a fair statement? :huh:
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users