823 replies to this topic

#271 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

America is just a British colony that gained independence so you could say that we invented the nuke :P

I live near a place called Mold.

Surprised to hear the name Mold, small world.
I live in Rhydymwyn about 4.5 miles away.

Simon

#272 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:20 PM

Simon

'Not the only pyro in the village' :D This is happening more and more now, this country has quite a few pyros and i think its fantastic!!

#273 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:31 PM

Simon

I think there might be another 1/2 people who live in Flintshire/Denbighshire. We should have a little meet up sometime. I had someone PM me last year saying that he lived near Mold too, but he's only made one post and was last active on the 8th of November so I doesnt appear as if he is a regular.

#274 mnementh

mnementh

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:07 AM

Hi all,
Guy Falkes night having just passed an' all, I'd like to ask what might appear a pretty naive question.

Given the, apparent, sensitivity of flash mixtures, what do the commercial, handled by the punter, salutes use?

I bought some rockets from Lidl, this Nov 5th and they were pretty damn loud, when they went off.

As "Joe & Josephine Bloggs" handle fireworks like they are perfectly safe, what do the commercial people use for their "salute" mixtures?

Or do they just use mega strong cases and let BP do the business?

Sandy

#275 GBthriller

GBthriller

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:18 AM

More energetic perhaps, but KClO4 based binary compositions are probably level pegging in terms of sensitivity. All flash powders are incredibly dangerous.

If you would be so kind; a few questions:

1. Many people talk about the magical 70/30, but I have seen 7/3/1 (S) and have read it to be the loudest, deepest report. Is the S componant just a higher risk factor most folks are not willing to risk?

2. If Patassium Dichromate is a decomp catalist for Potassium Perchlorate, what would its effect be on flash?

3. Somewhere it was written that cutting your flash 50/50 with smokeless powder (NC?) will increase the output of salutes? True or false?

BTW, this is curiosity, as flash scares the fleas off of me. Never used it, hopefully never will. You could be dead in a "flash". In fact, while making a Bleser 'Flitter" star, it occured to me that I was dangerously close to making flash inadvertantly. Turns out that star comp would hardly light, go figure.

Thanks for any info.

GB

#276 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

1] S or Sb2S3 will increase the 'power' (termed loosly - but I have found it gives more 'whoomph': not having any fancy equipment to measure, I don't know if it is more gas produced etc etc). Of course, it also will make the comp more sensitive (ie S --> H2SO4 + KClO3 = BOOM), even to a degree with KClO4 based comps. Simply put, it isn't worth it.

2] I would imagine it lowers the energy needed to initiate it. I don't see why it would make it more 'powerful'. Again, not worth the risk.

3] Possibly, and then it depends (on the NG content, nitration amount of the NC etc etc). It would probably increase the volume of gas produced, but if you are thinking 'it will detonate the smokeless' then I cannot be sure in small to medium sized amounts (flash powder simply isn't a good initiator of such secondary explosives)

You shoudn't be 'scared' of flash, or you will never master the art.. you should be 'respectful' and only use it when neccesary or to achieve a very specific effect. It has a very legitimate use in fireworks (not limited to reports) and is even neccesary for roles such as breaking a crossette.

Edited by adamw, 13 December 2005 - 08:12 PM.

75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#277 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:43 AM

I made a test to se if the "Thunder" flash in Shimuzu (per+Al+S) was louder then 70:30. And I also tested 60:40.

My conclution is that adding S gives only a minor increase in loudness. As a matter of fact I found the 60:40 to be louder. BUT one of the reasons why "they" use 70:30 and formulas with S in them is to make them easier to ignite. Shimizu writes about the problems of perc flash needing a better prime to light properly.
I find the 70:30 or 60:40 to work very good in referense to the risk involved adding S. It is not worth the extra risk.

#278 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:28 PM

Second that! Its easy to put a smallpiece of blackmatch to a timefuse or piece of visco to aid ignition!

But adding sulfur really makes it too sensitive. Even if you use chemically pure sulfur.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#279 Draco_Americanus

Draco_Americanus

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 01:55 PM

I too have tried this with very fine magnalium flake. The critical mass of the stuff I made was less then 3grams and far far less is needed when slightly confined. As with all flash, this stuff needs to be treated with respect and never be stored.

Well normally I use regular 70/30 KClO4, and german aluminum. Its the safest and I have a bit of experience with it. I got ahold of some really super fine magnalium flake, like as fine as my german aluminum. I decided to use some of this to make flash. I mixed up just under 1 gram (15 grains) at a 70/30 ratio. I placed this on a piece of paper, taped a fuse to it and lit the fuse. I stood back a good 10-15 feet and held my hand up so as to block the light when it would be created and keep myself from being temporary blinded. Usually with one gram of flash, in the open I get a thump, with a small over pressure you can feel if you are close enough. Well you can imagine my suprise when the stuff exploded with the force and sound of a good 5 gram salute! I had ringing in my ears and was VERY suprised! Talk about a hot mix! Damn, I have never heard of that tiny amount of flash doing that. Very scary! Has anyone else used super fine MgAl in flash?

I just wanted to see how well it would burn/flash, but for it to explode totally unconfined and in such a small amount has got to be due to the magnesium content. I wonder how much more violent pure 2 mincron magnesium is! Anyways, I sure am glad I followed satey precautions and tested with a fuse, and stood back a bit!

So, in conclusion fine magnalium makes super flash. Also, does anyone have any idea on any unwanted reactions if this stuff is stored in a completed device? Should it be safe in devices? Thanks guys...

#280 Plays with Fire

Plays with Fire

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:57 PM

Okay, I am unable to abtain potassium perchlorate, so I was wondering if I could make flash powder from aluminum powder and ammonium nitrate (from inside instant cold packs), or would that just be ridiculusly dangerous and too stupid to try? :blush:
This is my signature

#281 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:47 PM

Okay, I am unable to abtain potassium perchlorate, so I was wondering if I could make flash powder from aluminum powder and ammonium nitrate (from inside instant cold packs), or would that just be ridiculusly dangerous and too stupid to try? :blush:

This post will really attract a *lot* of negative comments.

You've mentioned all the wrong words here.

AN has no place in pyro. and your aim of making FP without understanding the chemistry is disturbing.

Please carry out some theoretical research before continuing.
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#282 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:28 PM

Yes it is too stupid to try, i dont know how many times we need to say stay away from flash! Only use it if you have the knowlage and the safety equipment to make it and understand it. By the way what are you trying to make? AN is like Rhodri says not really used in pyrotechnics, take it from us dont touch flash!!!

#283 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

I totally agree with the previous replies.

AN is not used in pyro for various reasons:-

It does not produce oxygen in the same way as KNO3 or KClO4.
It is very hygroscopic, almost deliquescent and some metals will react with the damp mixture, unpredictably.
It is used to make HE for blasting in mining and t3rr*ism (don't ask).
Spontaneous detonation has been noted.

KMnO4 is also not a good idea due to instability.
KClO3 is little used because of adverse reactions and sensitivity.

If any of the above is unclear you need to understand what you are dealing with, try, Vivisimo, Google, Wikipedia, MSDS, MSERregs, etc. Avoid any "Kewl Bombz", "Jolly Roger" sites, etc.

Check out the milling accident elsewhere on this forum if you doubt the power of energetic chems.

Rant over.

#284 Plays with Fire

Plays with Fire

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:43 PM

:blush: Thanx, taking that into consideration, I think I'll just stick with my black powder for now (its actually gotten quite good by now, but this is the wrong forum for that). Again, thank you, and sorry :unsure:
This is my signature

#285 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:00 AM

have any links to it "spontaniously detonating"?

i'm not doubting you, just curious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users