18 replies to this topic

#1 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

Whats the worst firework you have ever seen? Thinking pound-for-pound, ie take into account the price.

What firework have you ever seen, and just gone... uh....

Misfires and faulty ones don't count.

Mine is a £16.99 ballhead rocket from (as was then) Millenium. We had bought big Millenium rockets the year before, and they had been ace- really big bursts. So we were confident with this one to end the show.

But this one had a burst- of bees- that was the sort of thing you would expect for one of the tubes of a £5.99 25 shotter. IE, weak and tiny.

Hey ho!

I also tend to be disappointed with stuff (fireworks, and with life in general) when my expectations have been built up. EG Fireworks Internationals Triple H B0mb- so many people had said how brilliant it was, that when I finally saw one I was a bit like "uh, whats so special?"
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#2 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

some of the worst i have ever seen were pretty much every single mine that Menshun had on sale last year also seen some really crappy Black Cat wheels

#3 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

In my experience virtually anything that came from Millenium (under £10), also virtually anything that ever came/comes from Brightstar & TNT.

Box selections in general are the worst value, whoever markets them, But the ones from Essex Pyrotechnics were notably bad IMHO.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#4 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:26 PM

also virtually anything that ever came/comes from Brightstar & TNT.

i dont know about the TNT bit , last month i bought six of thier 3 inch ball heads and on the strengh of the 1 sample i fired last weekend ive ordered another 40 of them plus another 40 of thier 2.5 inch ones

#5 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

i dont know about the TNT bit , last month i bought six of thier 3 inch ball heads and on the strengh of the 1 sample i fired last weekend ive ordered another 40 of them plus another 40 of thier 2.5 inch ones

Which of the 3" did you fire? - I haven't fired one of these yet though I now own a few. Certainly I would rate the 2" and 2.5" as good - I would say they are not the best VFM available purely because no rockets are though they let you put up a bigger effect than is available with cakes. Would you care to say where you got them and how much you are paying for them - I have been paying £3 for 2", £5 for 2.5" and £7.50 for 3".

I would say the smaller/medium sized TNT stuff is pretty good so long as you are not paying full RRP. I get mine from the Rocket Box (seasonal shop) in Salisbury and they give a 25% discount off of RRP. Last year I had the Free Fall 25 shot cake - palm bursts with crackles and the last 5 shots fired together for £15 which was good value. The larger TNT cakes are very poor value at anything up to £2 per shot - I would say anything over £20 in this range is overpriced. Some of the discontinued stuff is 50% or more discount and damn good value so long as you vccan get to their stores in Salisbury or Preston.

#6 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

Some of the discontinued stuff is 50% or more discount and damn good value so long as you can get to their stores in Salisbury or Preston.

Last year the Preston store was really disappointing. Despite being the official TNT stockist, they weren't even selling the full TNT range- only about half of it. Its also only a seasonal shop now, and has been for a few years. They did have some early order discounts, like a general 25% off, and some other discounts too. But, that said, its very poor value at full price.

Its a shame, because it used to be a good shop in the days when it was Millenium.

The shop is there all year round, but closed up out of season. There are also signs nearby for a British Bulldog seasonal shop- they shop only lasts about 7 days, in season, but they never bother to take the signs down.

Come to think of it, there is another shop in Blackpool that does the same thing. Shuttered down all year round, despite its big orange banner, opening for about 2 weeks in season.

Anyway, I ramble- it just seems a rather wasteful use of a shop!

Edited by David, 18 May 2008 - 11:13 PM.

#7 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:02 AM

Its a shame, because it used to be a good shop in the days when it was Millenium.

They still have some Millenium as part of the daily specials with 50% savings (or more) and also as a standard line have the 4 pack of 16 shot cakes (Caribean sunset / Deep blue sea / Golden palm trees / Starry starry night) for £10 which are pretty good small cakes - Firework Factory are selling them at £5 each so a decent saving. I generally try and get Millenium stock when I go there - and certainly don't try and get my whole display there!

The shop is there all year round, but closed up out of season.

Same with the one in Salisbury

it just seems a rather wasteful use of a shop!

Yes but I guess economics plays it's part - They get all year advertising, everyone knows where they will be when they open and I would say because they have the all year presence, even if closed, there is a better feeling of trust in them rather than back street shops opening for a couple of weeks and then just doing a runner. As well, I would assume they probably own the freehold and are (were) making money on property prices rising.

#8 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:49 PM

Which of the 3" did you fire? - I haven't fired one of these yet though I now own a few. Certainly I would rate the 2" and 2.5" as good - I would say they are not the best VFM available purely because no rockets are though they let you put up a bigger effect than is available with cakes. Would you care to say where you got them and how much you are paying for them - I have been paying £3 for 2", £5 for 2.5" and £7.50 for 3".

dont know which i fired i just picked 1 at random i paid the same price as you quoted though only cos they were on offer at buy 1 get 1 free from Stealth Fireworks and as you say no rocket is really VFM are thier short lived and you can buy a half decent cake for the same kind of money

#9 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:06 PM

dont know which i fired i just picked 1 at random i paid the same price as you quoted though only cos they were on offer at buy 1 get 1 free from Stealth Fireworks and as you say no rocket is really VFM are thier short lived and you can buy a half decent cake for the same kind of money

Well, they would be the same price then ;) - Mine were from Stealth too, just gave the unit price rather than BOGOF. Have you joined their free club - you get a 10% discount card off of everything that doesn't already have a discount on it. They also match the web prices in store as they have different deals (rockets were buy 1 get 1 half price in store). I had hoped you had found somewhere even cheaper for me to get a few more. The 2" ballheads were from the Rocket Box (TNT's own shop).

#10 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:52 AM

Well, they would be the same price then ;) - Mine were from Stealth too, just gave the unit price rather than BOGOF. Have you joined their free club - you get a 10% discount card off of everything that doesn't already have a discount on it. They also match the web prices in store as they have different deals (rockets were buy 1 get 1 half price in store). I had hoped you had found somewhere even cheaper for me to get a few more. The 2" ballheads were from the Rocket Box (TNT's own shop).

nope not joined thier free club but i am a member of another forum that gives me 15% off anything not already on offer so dont really need to really and im way 2 far from them to even comtemplate a visit to their shop

btw rumour has it that TNT dont have any more 3 inch in stock so what you see out there is proberly all there is

#11 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:47 AM

btw rumour has it that TNT dont have any more 3 inch in stock so what you see out there is proberly all there is

Yes I would agree with that - last year the Firework Box (TNT) had 2 1/2 ball heads and no 3" - these soon ran out and they only had 2" - they were getting supplies daily direct from the TNT bunkers. So I would say TNT probably don't have any more 2 1/2" or 3" ball heads left.

BTW - did you get a colour code sheet for the effect in each rocket. The 2" have descriptive paper labels on the stick but the 2 1/2" and 3" have a coloured dot on the end of the stick. If you want one I can send you a copy.

#12 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:01 AM

BTW - did you get a colour code sheet for the effect in each rocket. The 2" have descriptive paper labels on the stick but the 2 1/2" and 3" have a coloured dot on the end of the stick. If you want one I can send you a copy.

yes thanks i got 1 page of colour codes in each box so at least i know what i got now

next question is do i hammer my CC and get any more LOL

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:48 AM

There is a 4 inch ball head, part of the Classic Range. I have the leaflet/flyer, I'll try and scan it! But yeah, its a 4 inch ball head!

#14 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

There is a 4 inch ball head, part of the Classic Range. I have the leaflet/flyer, I'll try and scan it! But yeah, its a 4 inch ball head!

would that be the classic range from Firework Factory ? and if it is are you havng a laugh ?

LOL

#15 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:09 PM

would that be the classic range from Firework Factory ? and if it is are you havng a laugh ?

LOL

The classic range is actually from Classic Fireworks, a display company based Blackburn, who work with Firework Factory on displays.

The Firework Factory is a major retail stockist of the Classic Range, although Classic do have their own shop too ( I didn't know that until yesterday!)

Edited by David, 22 May 2008 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users