• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#76 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:40 PM

Has anyone had any expereince with this type of wire or should I stick with the 22 ga speaker wire?  Thank you everyone!  Take care!

Eddie

View Post

I would stick with what you have if it is working. The thicker the wire, the better. The drawback is that the thicker you get, the harder it is to shlep it around and it is more expensive. I use thick speaker wire (18 or less gauge) and/or brown extension cord (about the same gauge).

#77 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:45 PM

This aint my work, i wish it was. Its Chemicalwazi & co's lurvly firing box. This little beauty has just been upgraded to 48 cues (original was 12) Sorry about the crappy picture as you cant see the labels! The upgrade is a 4 way rotary switch that gives the box 4 negative returns for each cue. 12x4=48!!! I must say it is very well made and will never fail, i was mearly peeling the labels but it was an honour! :D

:wub: :wub: :wub:

you'll be jealous

:D

#78 LadyKate

LadyKate

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:54 AM

you'll be jealous

View Post

You are right. Nice job. I have a 32 cue (4 x 8) that I just made but it is nothing more than a glorified nail board. I haven't tested it yet but here are the first pictures:

My Thingy

The single shot panel that is inside the box has been used a lot but I haven't tested the nail board yet. I wanted a cheaper solution - those darn switches are expensive.

#79 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:04 PM

i had an idea for a board, would it work?

here's a simplified version, same components, just less e-matches.

6V source(in series with a resistor to cut current)(TEST)
6-12V source(no resistor)(GO)

(GO)--------\
\
(TEST) -------(SWITCH)(either, not both at same time)---LED---E-matchy---0V

would my LED blow before the e-match?

any questions, just ask

thanks.

#80 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:29 AM

Very likely yes. Just use the "standard" topology:

http://www.vk2zay.ne...tachment.php/34

#81 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:34 PM

i knew there was a better way, thanks alot.

#82 neosaint99

neosaint99

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

Hi guys
Newly joined here
You all look like pros
Dont know if any of you will find this interesting, but this is the electrical ignition box I designed and built
Its meant to be for high amp ignition using a car battery
It has double isolation (one flip switch and one key)
I actually had to make this as my university final thesis project includes the design and fabrication of a high performance model rocket made from composites
So naturally, I had to fabricate everything, including the propulsion system...which includes the ignition system
My "e-match" is basically a 'normal' match with a single strand of copper wire (the type found in the multi-core lighting wire...the type thats stuck parallel together) wound around the match head with 4 more matches taped around the middle one
The thin copper wire is soldered to about a foot of mono core copper wire which is then clipped into my main long wire which goes into my ignition box
The mono-core wires are cliped to the main wire using those simple clips which are used to attach wires to computer speakers and such
Do let me know what you think and if you can suggest any improvements, please drop me a line
I'd be grateful for any input anyone can give me :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

#83 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:59 PM

Is part of your work to do a CE/peer review. If so I'd be willing to help.

A few points;

Perhaps using a different plug would be a good idea, using an IEC connector will only tempt people to plug it into the mains. Failing that you could build in some form of mains detection and auto shut down to protect the equipment and user.

You could use a semiconductor output stage instead of a relay, they tend to be more reliable and safe. High current switching tends to knacker relays.

The audio warning could be put into a loop including the e-match. this would give a real warning signal telling you that all is armed and there is a primed e-match on the other end. once the e-match blows the buzzer will stop sounding.

hope this helps

Edited by Andrew, 17 November 2005 - 02:00 PM.

#84 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 01:59 PM

I couldn't really give you any feedback myself but I'd say you've done a nice job! Looks very nice and compact, looks kinda like the design I'm going for when I build mine. Also them plans are lovely, nice and clear unlike most of I've seen.
Great first post!!

Regards,
Drew :)
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#85 neosaint99

neosaint99

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:57 PM

A few points;

Perhaps using a different plug would be a good idea, using an IEC connector will only tempt people to plug it into the mains. Failing that you could build in some form of mains detection and auto shut down to protect the equipment and user.

You could use a semiconductor output stage instead of a relay, they tend to be more reliable and safe. High current switching tends to knacker relays.

The audio warning could be put into a loop including the e-match. this would give a real warning signal telling you that all is armed and there is a primed e-match on the other end. once the e-match blows the buzzer will stop sounding.

hope this helps

hi
thanks for the feedback
Just a few questions :D

What exactly do you mean by a CE/peer review?...I'm from Malaysia and I haven't come accross those terms before,...perhaps we use different terms here? :P
Whats an IEC connector? (sorry, but i'm not very familiar with all these terms)
The AC detector is a good idea...i'll look into that...shouldn't be too hard to add in :thumbs:
How do I replace the relay with a semicon? Totally no idea how to implement that... :blush:
If I were to put the buzzer series with the e-match, wouldnt it be silent until i pushed the ignition button and when I actually do that, it would sound like for a split second? (the duration that it takes the e-match to blow)

Sorry for all the questions
You see, I'm a mechanical student and all my electrical/electronic knowledge is what i've picked up over all these years that i've been a noosy parker...poking around other people's books and projects n stuff :P

Hope you can clarify these things for me

Thanks

I couldn't really give you any feedback myself but I'd say you've done a nice job! Looks very nice and compact, looks kinda like the design I'm going for when I build mine. Also them plans are lovely, nice and clear unlike most of I've seen.
Great first post!!

Regards,
Drew :)

Thanks
I used Microsoft Visio to draw the circuit
You might want to look into it
Its really versatile
It not only can draw electrical and electronic circuits, but also maps, hydraulic schematics, flow charts, progress charts, building plans, graphs, database representation, web diagrams,...i could go on and on
Honestly (imho), this is one of Microsoft's best softwares to date,...well; that and microsoft project...hehe
:D

Edited by neosaint99, 17 November 2005 - 02:53 PM.

#86 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:05 PM

IEC is the type of connector that is commonly refered to as a 'kettle lead' it's the three pin connector in the picture. As it is specifically used for mains applications it could be a little confusing to users of the device.

Using the semiconductor option is probably a little out of the scope of your work then. A relay is fine for the level you are working at.

For the buzzer idea, you could impliment a continuity system to drive the buzzer, also on the schematic you have a speaker driven by dc, that will not make any noise, you need a buzzer to make a noise with dc. you could have a DPDT relay, in the NO (normall off) state you would have a high resistance to ground and the junction between the resistor and the e-match would be connected to the gate of a MOSFET, this would drive the buzzer. In the energised state it would apply the low impedance 12V source to the e-match and blow it. If you PM me your emil address I will send you a circuit diagram.

#87 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:52 AM

I have a question about commercial firing systems, any of you that have had experience with them will help me out. Who are the main manufactures of these systems, i know FIREONE are damn nice systems but what about the others?

Karl

#88 halen

halen

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 07:01 PM

I have a question about commercial firing systems, any of you that have had experience with them will help me out. Who are the main manufactures of these systems, i know FIREONE are damn nice systems but what about the others?

In Finland most used firing system is swedish Digital Pyro System, aka DPS. I have mainly used older version 1 but they dont sell it anymore. Newer version 2 has better addressing for boxes and much better testing, also couple new very useful features.

It uses typical microphone cabling with xlr3 connectors and you can program it with computer or straight from system.

some photos about version 2.0
front panel
rear panel
field module

Manufacturers homepage

#89 mlepyro

mlepyro

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

Karl

We manufacture a range of manual and digital firing systems - under the name FireByWire. Our latest digital system is due for full commercial release early this year, but has been sold to select companies worldwide for the past few years and also used in our own displays.

The highlight of our range is the 4 wire digital firing module with integrated stand alone programmable sequencer mode. Up to 64 channels controllable by 4 wire computer link (2 wires are power), or just supply the power and it acts stand alone as a programmable digital firing unit. You can program it from a PC and set the time that each of the 64 channels fires - or program it using the inbuilt LCD screen.

It has been used to fire shows such as - Southport 2004, Southport 2005, Plymouth 2005, Macau 2005, Pyromusical Challenge 2005, Firework Champions 2003, 2004, 2005.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Digiseq

The systems are built in the UK and designed by us, this means we can tailor the functionality to the clients requirements.

More info is available on request.

Mat
MLE Pyrotechnics Limited
www.mlepyro.co.uk www.firebywire.co.uk

#90 MFX

MFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:50 PM

A few points;

hope this helps

I'd also add that I'd use a key that is NOT removable in the armed position, on some systems I've made you can't shut the desk lid if the key is left in, and as it can only be removed in the "safe" position it means the desk should always be safe when you next get on site. Something else I add is a minimum of an LED on each firing button so that when the power is turned on (but system not armed) you can see if you have a faulty (stuck on) switch. On more advanced systems I've built, a faulty channel is automaticaly locked out, so even if the system is subsequently armed the faulty channel still won't fire. With semiconductor output stages such as Mosfets just be carefull that noise (Mosfets have a very high input impedance) from other systems doesen't give you a nasty surprise. Of course desk safety features shouldn't remove the requirement to ensure the site is clear before plugging the desk in!

Martin.
If it looks like it's coming towards you, it probably is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users