• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bogsulphur

bogsulphur

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:14 PM

I have been experimenting with a potassium nitrate/sugar mix for a while and trying different ratios and adding different chemicals. We all know it works best melted, and I have tried adding sulphur, iron oxide, coal, carbon, potassium permanganate and some others. Does anyone know THE best ratio of chemicals and/or additives to put in?
Cheers
There are 2 types of people: Alchemists, and Chemists.

#2 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 03:42 PM

What effect are you looking for smoke or a rocket fuel or what?
HHHHEEEEEEEEERRRRRRREEEES JOHNNY!!

#3 bogsulphur

bogsulphur

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

I am primarily concerned with creating as much smoke as possible as fast as possible - I find that by adding iron oxide and charcoal and sulphur this is achievable - but was wondering if anyone knew a really good recipe or how to create some wierd effects, like funny colours or something.

#4 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 04:40 PM

5/5/2 Sugar/KNO3/Stearin works best. Mix the first two chems, (powder them seperately first) and melt the wax. Put it away from the heat surce and stir in the mix. This works well and there is no risk of ignition or something like that. The mix isn?t hotter than 110?C..

You can use this crumbly stuff losely packed in paper cardriges... Works well.

http://www.freepgs.c..._100g/smoke.htm

The first pic is 100g of a very similar mix. Its comparable to the 5/5/2 mixture!

The second is 300g Kn/So. This produces the smoke in a much shorter period of time.

Edited by paul, 29 September 2004 - 04:41 PM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#5 bogsulphur

bogsulphur

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

will that mixture work if the sugar is melted, paul?

#6 marker227

marker227

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

yes. I did it. It gets really sticky though. Use a good container to hold it and get a few popsicale sticks to. It hardens like concrete.

#7 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:07 PM

Then you have to powder the smokemix (Kn/Su) again. Otherwise you can?t mix it well enough with the wax!

Simply mix Kn and Sugar (both powdered before) and you?re fine. It?s even better to use not a too fast smokemix for this purpose.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#8 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:55 AM

Don't put potassium permanganate in it! That forms a very unstable mixture, before I new any better I crushed a small amount of such a mixture in a mortar and it ignited. It also ignites spontaneously, or if it gets wet, which is almost certian as sugar is so hygroscopic!

Edited by alany, 01 October 2004 - 12:00 PM.

#9 bogsulphur

bogsulphur

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 02:18 PM

If you make up a batch of just KNO3 / sugar and melt it, then when it is solid, break it up into fine pieces, then put it in an envelope (as in postage) and light it, it all goes up at once and produces a very impressive cloud.

#10 neo

neo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 October 2004 - 07:54 PM

Just wondering... I have made some but I'm using sodium nitrate, I just wonder how big the diffrens is? Sodium nitrate formula is: NaNO3 and potassium nitrate is KNO3 and it is an oxider so it's only the oxygen you?re after right? So, it shouldn?t be any differs, but that?s what I think...
Pyrotechnics, the art of fire!

#11 Guest_Daniel Scott_*

Guest_Daniel Scott_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2004 - 12:10 PM

I can second what Alan has said, I too have ground KMnO4 and sugar in a metal mortar and pestle when I first found KMnO4, this was around 4 years back though. It does ignight easily :S

KNO3 and Sugar 'candy' is hygroscopic enough with the sugar but using sodium nitrate just makes it worse as it is also hygroscopic like most sodium compounds.

#12 bogsulphur

bogsulphur

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 October 2004 - 03:29 PM

Also, apart from the hygroscopic part, sodium is less reactive than potassium (lower in the electrochemical series) so potassium nitrate is more reactive than sodium nitrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users