• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 Patrick

Patrick

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:14 AM

I went with the stainless steel as the mesh sizes go from 2 mesh up to 635 mesh and is the most resistant to chemicals. The galvenized only goes up to 24 mesh. There are two different stainless steel that seem to be decent for chemicals 316 and 304 stainless steel. Browse the two for the best price for what you want. Both go up to 325 mesh. The 316 being cheaper though, but seems to be a better metal for chemicals.

I went to McMaster-Carr, man they have alot of different types! I was looking at the Woven Wire Cloth-Standard Grade-Galvanised Steel section. When is says 'openings per square inch', do you multiply the numbers together to get the mesh size...eg 24*24 is 576 mesh?
I'm thinking about ordering some.
The problem with buying magnesium is that I don't think I can get it into New Zealand. I went to the government site and it said they have regulations on any type of magnesium and even powdered aluminium!
Thanks for the info

View Post

#32 evilgecko

evilgecko

evilgecko

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:19 AM

omg that must mean 500 mesh is really small. How the hell do they manage to get 500 squares in a linear inch...technology these days.
Thanks for that tip on sacrificial magnesium, next time I'm in town I'll check it out.

Edit: 3 hours later
I'm in the process of grinding down some large particles of Al in my ball mill now. The annoying thing is that the iron rod im using as grinding media are getting grinded as well. I got a magnet and the powder stuck to it, idicating there is iron in there. What better media is there. Im thinking maybe about 100 small 18-carat diamonds, valued at $2000 each?

Edited by evilgecko, 29 November 2004 - 07:13 AM.

Old flames never die...

#33 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 05:17 PM

When you say "large particles," what do you mean? Milling bits of aluminium tubing, or even drinks cans, will get you nowhere. The aluminium needs to be in a form that is already easy to bend and break up, such as foil. I've also heard of people having success with swarf from machining Al, but I haven't tried this.

#34 evilgecko

evilgecko

evilgecko

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

I grinded up a slab of aluminium with a coarse file (took about an hour) and then chucked it into my ball mill with short iron rods. Four hours later there was a fine dust left, but apparently some of the iron has come of with the aluminium. I was thinking maybe I should use ball bearing as they are made out of steel as the griding media
Old flames never die...

#35 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:10 PM

Has anybody used Ali from 'ABL (stevens) resin & glass' for making flash. It is 350mesh (like flour) and quite resonably priced (?12.50+p&p for 1 Kg). I dont know tho, if its flaked, atomised etc.

#36 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:00 PM

It will probably be atomised. Great for glitter, but rather bad for a bang! Flash powders are so dangerous because the flake aluminium has a very large surface area relative to atomised powders.

#37 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:05 PM

I have phoned up a metal coating supplier near me and thay have said they will supply me with aluminium powder and zinc powder. WIll this be good or may there broblems in using it?
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#38 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:25 PM

It all depends on mesh size, particle shape, coating etc.

#39 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:05 PM

Richard......you were spot on with your answer. I managed to get a sample from ABL stevens, and altho the ali was extemely fine, it didnt burn particularly fast, suggesting it is the atomised type. I normaly make flash using Mg, and there is absolutely no comparison. Still, if anyone wants any for fountains etc. its readily available and as cheap as ive seen.

#40 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:35 PM

Sounds like you've found a great source for glitter Aluminium. I had thought the standard Aluminium for epoxy/resin filling was usually around 250mesh - not good for glitter in my experience. If it really is 350mesh, atomised, it should produce some wonderful glitters.

#41 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:02 PM

Definately 350 mesh, not sure of partical shape tho. But most probably atomised, as it doesnt make good flash.

Edited by BigBang, 06 December 2004 - 03:09 PM.

#42 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:46 PM

so i really didn't want to open a new thread for this question but what Mesh is ideal for Flitter effect (Needs to be a REALLY dense tail)

#43 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

Flitter as in glitter?

Around 40?m is good for glitter, (and white comets useing perc).

#44 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

Winokur attempted to define both the terms flitter and glitter. And generally I think it is accepted that flitter is a spark tail e.g. alu streamer effect, while glitter is a delayed spark effect comprising of random flashes.

The particle size of your aluminium and the shape are influencial in the effect. For a very fine glitter try 300-350 or thereabouts mesh aluminium.

#45 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:00 PM

Would anything here be usefull for flitter (or glitter, eh whatever)

http://www.eckart.ne...&LanguageID=UK#

look at the powders section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users