#16 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:50 AM

This is for CAT 3 training.
A while ago I ws looking into CAT 4 training, there was a company that gave you the chance to take the BPA firers exam.

Does anyone know anymore on this subject?
How did others get into the buisness?

I have contacted local companies, and my friends cousin owns a firework company and said he will take us on.
What qualifications/certificates will I need?

View Post

I will comment later Broadsword, as of now, I'm off out to work grrr, bloody snow....

EDIT : Right, the company you might have heard about doing the CAT4 training was SkyBurst. I made a few posts about them on the forums last September time, the course lasted a day and a half, though most foke were there for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The course itself was free of charge, the only costs to you would have been accomadation (student halls on campus, around 60 quid for the time I was there) and your travelling expences (I flew, so add 120 onto that for tickets) The exams BPA 1 and 2 were like ?12 each to sit, so thats not much :)

I was invited down to the training and then put into contact with the Scottish teams, so that wasnt the hardest part for me. You might also want to try asking around companies to see if they would take you on as a volenteer at first, would help if you had the certificates first though :)

You wont need any certificates or qualifications per say, though I recommend you have a health does of Common Sence and be over 18 years old :P If you have other questions, PM me and I will give you my msn...

Fraser

Edited by Loci, 22 February 2005 - 08:16 PM.

"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#17 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:35 PM

Hi All

I found this and thought it might be useful for those down South.

I for one will be there:

Forthcoming Pyro Safety Awareness Courses

Hosted by Stage Electrics at Eastleigh (Southampton)

Wednesday 23rd March 2005

For Bookings Contact: brian.cleary@stage-electrics.co.uk or telephone 07733 303126

Minimum age 18
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#18 Brian

Brian

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:23 PM

I've just heard that the Eastleigh course has been cancelled; there is still this one the day before though...

Forthcoming Pyro Safety Awareness Course

Hosted by Stage Electrics at

Worthing - Northbrook College

Tuesday 22nd March 2005

For Bookings Contact: brian.cleary@stage-electrics.co.uk
or telephone 07733 303126

Minimum age 18

Edited by Brian, 11 March 2005 - 12:25 PM.

#19 Blackpowder

Blackpowder

Blackpowder

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:09 AM

We have relaunched our training courses. We dont offer the BPA creditation as I'm yet to be convinced exactly what you get from it.

We offer two days training looking at all aspects from the chemistry up to rigging and firing a Cat 4 show. Our course is aimed at those who wish to start their own company or enter the field professionally.

As a discussion topic, would you like to have a vocational course that simply covers the nuts and bolts of rigging a show or would you be interested in something more in depth that looks into the chemistry behind the fireworks and the construction of the devices?

I have had a lot of e-mails from people who have paid for training as it is a requirement to become a firer for the company providing the training. Any comments on that subject would be appreciated

#20 stillsy

stillsy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:08 PM

A couple of years ago prior to setting up my own display company I attended the Blackpowder Cat4 Training weekend with run by Chris and can vouch that it was very imformative and comprehensive.

Should you be seeking some pro training then this would be a great place to start.

Cheers
Stillsy

We have relaunched our training courses.  We dont offer the BPA creditation as I'm yet to be convinced exactly what you get from it. 

We offer two days training looking at all aspects from the chemistry up to rigging and firing a Cat 4 show.  Our course is aimed at those who wish to start their own company or enter the field professionally.

As a discussion topic, would you like to have a vocational course that simply covers the nuts and bolts of rigging a show or would you be interested in something more in depth that looks into the chemistry behind the fireworks and the construction of the devices?

I have had a lot of e-mails from people who have paid for training as it is a requirement to become a firer for the company providing the training. Any comments on that subject would be appreciated

View Post

#21 Blackpowder

Blackpowder

Blackpowder

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:45 PM

The cash is in the post mate!

:P

#22 ChesterPFX

ChesterPFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

Nice one - just found out I passed me BPA 1 & 2. :D

#23 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:04 PM

There was earlyer mention of the Kimbolton course today 14th... did anyone attend ?

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#24 hill billy

hill billy

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

sorry if im off topic hear but i was just wondering how did some of you get jobs in pyrotechnics, i ask because i am just about to leave sixth form im 18 and i want more than anything to get into a carrer envolving pyrothectics and i really don't have the foggest of were to start

#25 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

I'm afraid fireworks is a funny old business. There is very little scope for a career, and people in industry were likely inducted into family businesses. The UK firework manufacturing sector is almost non-existent and the majority of firms now import, retail, and provide professional firework displays.

If your looking to make some money then fireworks is probably not the way to go about it. If you are planning on starting a firework company then expect huge costs and a terrible amount of paperwork. I would suggest you instead approach local companies and volunteer yourself.

There are careers in special effects work, but again the money is not going to be great for someone with little experience and credentials to there name. It is unfortunate, but the only way to start is at the bottom in most cases.

Good luck.

#26 elewton

elewton

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:31 PM

Edited by elewton, 24 January 2021 - 02:30 AM.

#27 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:35 PM

to anyone that works part or full time in the trade, doing shows and the like, could you answer a couple of questions?
i'd greatly appriciate it, as i am writing an essay on pryotechnics for school and part of it has to do with the job.

1) how long do you work (per show, or how many shows you do per year, and for how long)
2) how far you travel to do shows
3) what the pay is like
4) what qualifications YOU have, and what you had when you started
5) how you started

thanks again.

#28 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

Fishy1, this is almost impossible to answer.. there are so many variables involved.

1) how long do we work (per show) - anything from a couple of hours to weeks and a day shift can be from 7am to 1am the next day.
1) how long do we work (how many shows a year) I am on around 23 and the season is at its beginning.

2) how far do we travel - anywhere in the world (read back of Kimbolton crews shirts when next at one of our displays)

3) Pay - depends on size of show etc .. generaly ok.

4) qualifications - most people start with non and then progress to to L1 and L2 BPA certs.

5) how I started - Long story short Rev. Ron Lancaster invited me to join the display team and never looked back since.

not that easy to answer but hope this gives you some idea and I expect most of the answers would be the same from the pro firers on the forum.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#29 JamesH

JamesH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:56 PM

I attended a 3 day pyrotechnic chemistry course designed by the kosanke's and presented by tom smith in july. I met a fellow forum member there - Creepin pyro. Has anyone attended it in the past?
HE WHO HATH ONCE SMELT THE SMOKE IS NE'ER AGAIN FREE

#30 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:08 PM

I attended the same course in April along with Adam W and Rhodri.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users