• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 carlos

carlos

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:43 AM

not too long ago someone was asking about iodine crystals!!
One of the replies was regarding producing color smoke from pottasium permanganate and i think glycerol? does anyone know how to do this and how much purple smoke is produced,and indeed any other color smoke concoctions,preferably not too deadly iodine vapours though pretty im sure just are not good for you, cheers, Carlos

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 05:17 PM

Best way to make smoke is to experiment with mixtures of potassium chlorate, lactose, and some powdered dye.

The best smoke will come from a well pressed tube only half full with a good cooling space.

#3 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 09:30 PM

I thought a mix of KMNO and glycerol caused combustion? I really dont think it's a wise idea to mix them!

#4 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 09:47 PM

Adam is correct. Don't bother w/ it. If you insist ..........do it in minute amounts.Say 0.5 grams. Do it outside. Exothermic reaction. Look at me, I know a big word :P Did I use it correctly?

#5 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 12:03 AM

re: KMnO4 and Glycerol. Yes, this reaction is very exothermic but it is also used as a classroom demo. You get sublimation of iodine and some nice (but nasty) purple vapours.

#6 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 01:21 AM

I'm personally much more comfotable with terms like "its going to get hot"I know what endothermic means also. I just ain't gonna say. Brain of the Day goes to Richard.

#7 carlos

carlos

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2003 - 09:54 AM

cheers for the advise folks will give the pottasium clorate avec color dye a bash and see how it goes, tootle pip, Carlos

#8 pyrosteve

pyrosteve

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 12:34 AM

i heard you could make purple smoke/flame with a mixture of iodine crystals and aluminum powder and a couple drops of water

#9 yanhua

yanhua

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:13 AM

Iodine vapour is extremely toxic, so I wouldn't mess about with it.

Regards

Yanhua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users