• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 bogsulphur

bogsulphur

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 03:18 PM

I was wondering, in the uk, to who do you go to get a licence which allows you to store and mix chemicals, and manufacture and use fireworks (for personal use). also, what is the name of this licence (if it exists)?
There are 2 types of people: Alchemists, and Chemists.

#2 parabolic

parabolic

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 04:36 PM

In the uk you will need to apply for a COER 3 - Certificate to Acquire and Keep Explosives, this can be picked up from your local police station.

The licence is for types of black powder normaly classed as UN 0027 & UN 0028, which are used in firearms, be it homemade or comercial. you must have this licence in order to legally make, buy and store it.

You also need a second licence if you wish to transport it.

as for mixed chemical explosives you might be able to apply for them on the same licence.

fireworks are under UN0333, UN0334, UN0335, UN0336, UN0337

here is some info

http://www.met.polic...ies/explos3.htm

the bottom link is intened for black powder guns but also for general info.
http://www.black-pow...cumentation.htm

this is a list of all if not most UN classification numbers.
http://www.shax.co.u..._numbers/un.htm
hope this helps you some what.

Edited by parabolic, 25 October 2004 - 04:40 PM.

#3 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 06:18 PM

To aquire and use explosives you need a license issued by your local "Chief officer of Police" through his firearms and explosives control officer. Only use the Met Pol form linked above if you are in the Met area.
To Store explosives you need a police and HSE and council trading standards approved store in accordance with the type of explosives and the quantity. Look up www.hse.gov.uk and search for MSER.
To Make explosives you also need a factory license and probably 1000 acres of land to hide it on with separation and embanked huts etc,

To get any license you will need to be mature, of exemplary character, have certified training and have justifiable use for the explosives. By an exemption in the law you can store fireworks for a maximum of 14 days without storage. Reference to fireworks always means UN category and BS approved fireworks not home made.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#4 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 25 October 2004 - 09:10 PM

you will also need to be 18 years or older and have no criminal record as well... and once you have the licensing.. one step out of line and it is all gone for good. Also they can pop in for an inspection at any time and you cant stop or delay them :)
With explosive license and storage comes a lot of resposibilty and things will only get tighter after 1 Jan 05.
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#5 ChesterPFX

ChesterPFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 08:26 PM

There is an exception to needing a police / HSA / council approved store. CoER 1991 section 10 relates to the keeping of explosives for private use. You may keep any of the articles listed under Schedule 1 of the regs in addition to fireworks, fog signals etc in a "premises used for keeping for private use" so long as the amount does not excede 5 kg. This is option (vi) on your CoER 3 and can be a shed if it is secure enough. It will be checked when you get your home visit from the local police.

CoER 1991 Schedule 1

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 03:48 PM

correct me if I'm wrong, I may be wrong as I haven't looked into it much, but I thought that you have to be aged 21 or over to hold any "powder" related licence.

#7 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:17 PM

COER does not give you the license to MAKE blackpower - only aquire and store it.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#8 ChesterPFX

ChesterPFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:20 PM

correct me if I'm wrong, I may be wrong as I haven't looked into it much, but I thought that you have to be aged 21 or over to hold any "powder" related licence.

Don't recall anyone saying anything about age limits but to the best of my knowledge, there is no minimum age to be granted a COeR3, however, you have to convince the licensing officer when he comes to visit that you have a reason to need a license and that you are responsible enough.

#9 cunning_plan

cunning_plan

will

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:57 AM

though without the licence it is illeagle to make bp etc is it legal to have the components unmixed? eg is it fine to have a bunch of oxidisers some sulpur and some nice fine willow charcol in the garage or not?

#10 ChesterPFX

ChesterPFX

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:23 PM

You wouldn't need a license at all for them, as long as they don't appear on the list of articles that need a license, if that makes sense :huh:
OK. Example. Willow Charcoal. Is it on the list? No. No need for a CoER3.
KnO3, on the list but no license required by virtue of Schedule 1, CoER 1991.
In other words, if it was all sat seperated in your garage (Not attached to your house is it :blink: ?) and you didn't need a license for any componant ingredient then you wouldn't need a CoER3. However, once you make it up into BP, you will then need one.

#11 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

Is KNO3 on its own pyrotechnic? Is charcoal? Is sulphur? None of them are. So you can keep them in your property. It is advisable however to seperate the oxidisers from the fuels.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#12 Pieman

Pieman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:13 PM

How many people here own a licence to either make or store gunpowder? how easy were they to obtain?
Do you need anywhere special to store the finished gunpowder?
Here The Forsaken

#13 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:48 PM

Black Powder!... Gun powder is normally a mixture of nitrocellulose + nitroglycerin powdered as I'm sure you already know? I would take a wild guess and say 90% - 95% of people on this forum don't own a licence. Please don't correct me, I hate to be wrong.

Regard,
Drew :)

Edited by Ritual33, 26 October 2005 - 09:50 PM.

In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#14 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:15 AM

[quote name='Ritual33' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:48 PM' post='19634']
Black Powder!... Gun powder is normally a mixture of nitrocellulose + nitroglycerin powdered as I'm sure you already know?

Gunpowder, as in Gunpowder plot = Guy Fawkes & barrels of gunpowder (black powder)
Nitrocellulose + nitroglycerin = smokeless powder
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#15 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:20 AM

95% not licensed to keep BP... hmm probably pretty close on that one. As Rip Rap has said Nitrocellulose + nitroglycerin = smokeless powder and i may be wrong here but pyrodex or cordite may fall within this range... as for Black Powder / Gun Powder the age old formula is still the same.. KN03 + S + C.

So in general.... WRONG ! :)

Edited by The_Djinn, 27 October 2005 - 07:21 AM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users