Pulse Rockets: Has Anyone Ever Tryed Them?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2004 - 02:44 PM

I was looking around the Rocketry section of the UkPyro site and had a small idea, so I started a thread. Has anyone ever tryed using rockets with a sort of pulsing motion? It
possibly could be acheived by using a large layer of bp for timing, then a (VERY) small layer of flash (80-20 Mg-Kno3 Comp) to give it a small push, every 0.5~1.0 second. I have not actually tried this, and wanted some opinions first, so thought it would be wise to post it here first. Good luck, and if anyone dares to try the metho, please do email or pm me with the results.

#2 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 03:15 PM

You would have to be carefull with your choise of rocket comp and flash, as it would be very easy to mix Chlorate and Sulphur. Perchlorate flash could be used but the way you have to ram rockets would still make that a bad idea. Your best bet would be to use a sulphur free propellent, of which I can only find one in Donald Haarmann's Formulary:

Potassium Nitrate :- 80
Charcoal fine :- 7
Charcoal 5x :- 8
Charcoal 36 :- 35
Charcoal 20 :- 8

Which is a slightly odd use of charcoal, and I'm not entirly sure what the first number means, probably mesh size.
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#3 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:28 PM

You don't wanna be pressing or ramming flash, no matter how small the amount.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#4 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 07:54 PM

Probably better to try it with whistle.

But it would be a whole lot easier to just use one of the several strobe rocket designs out there.

#5 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2005 - 05:16 AM

Hmm, Hadn't thought of using whistle mix. Thanks for your time, and advice, Everybody!

#6 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:17 AM

I was sure that last time i read this there was a post saying that raming whistle was a bad idea?
I am not sure If these ideas would work but I have heard of a lot of bp rocket motors having a high charcoal content to slow the burn rate and thought that if you had small layers of normal 75-15-10 bp in the high charcoal stuf it would be acceptably safe to ram and might posibly work. another idea would be to have layers of granulated bp in the compressed meal powder so these areas would be sponge-like and burn very quickly, like the lift charge in a roman candle. I have not tried these out yet but tell me If I it might work.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users