18 replies to this topic

#16 StarScream

StarScream

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 08:53 PM

Got a picture of the package?

I used to use food grade KNO3 of Asian origin, it came in very similar sounding packaging.  Sugary moist crystals in a plastic heat sealed package. Only 2 oz IIRC, red or blue printing most of it Chinese.

View Post

Unfortunately I tossed the empty packages out when I milled them. Sounds very similar to the product you mentioned though Alan. Looked like slightly moist sugar or something. The lettering was mostly red and yellow, and the product is made by "Hang Tai Marine Products" of China.

I may try to re-crystalize some, as miniskinny suggested, but I'm not in any big hurry because I really don't think it is KNO3.
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

#17 Old1953

Old1953

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:38 AM

Unfortunately I tossed the empty packages out when I milled them. Sounds very similar to the product you mentioned though Alan. Looked like slightly moist sugar or something. The lettering was mostly red and yellow, and the product is made by "Hang Tai Marine Products" of China.

I may try to re-crystalize some, as miniskinny suggested, but I'm not in any big hurry because I really don't think it is KNO3.

View Post

If you've got any lab equipment, I'd fill a test tube about half full, lead a hose from the end to a pan of water, and invert a small beaker or jar filled with water over the end of the hose. Heat the tube, let the hot (expanding) air bubble out from the hose for a minute, then trap any gas given off as the KNO3 decomposes from heat. Light a LONG match or a magnesium splinter (held in pliers, of course), lift the (small) container of gas and QUICKLY thrust the burning end of the material into the trapped gas. If that's oxygen, it will burn very brightly for a moment.

It if isn't oxygen, the splinter will probably go out. I'd presume, as this was sold for human consumption, that you won't get anything really nasty from heating the powder. (No CLO2 or anything of that sort)

Or, dry the stuff well. Put a couple of ounces of water in a beaker and stick in a thermometer. Dump the stuff into the water (after the temp stabilises) and stir. Nitrates are endothermic when dissolving in water - the temp should drop several degrees. (I've stuck my sweaty hand into a barrel of ammonium nitrate fertilizer to break up lumps on a hot day, and it felt like it was freezing in there.)

#18 StarScream

StarScream

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:46 PM

Or, dry the stuff well.  Put a couple of ounces of water in a beaker and stick in a thermometer.  Dump the stuff into the water (after the temp stabilises) and stir.  Nitrates are endothermic when dissolving in water - the temp should drop several degrees.

View Post

Update: For those who are interested, this test works quite well. Today I tried it on some KNO3 that I know is good, and sure enough within a few seconds of adding the KNO3 to the water it dropped about 3 degrees Celsius. However, when I tested my "unknown powder" in question the temp rose 1 degree. Not good.

Really wish I knew what this stuff actually is. The store I got it from has quite a bit of it left, and wouldn't you just know it... It costs 1/3 of the price of the KNO3 I currently use! :angry: (Murphy's law at work here. Someone should really kill that Murphy b*st*rd)

P.S. Thanks for the tip Old1953!
"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

#19 Old1953

Old1953

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 07:42 PM

Update: For those who are interested, this test works quite well. Today I tried it on some KNO3 that I know is good, and sure enough within a few seconds of adding the KNO3 to the water it dropped about 3 degrees Celsius. However, when I tested my "unknown powder" in question the temp rose 1 degree. Not good.

Really wish I knew what this stuff actually is. The store I got it from has quite a bit of it left, and wouldn't you just know it... It costs 1/3 of the price of the KNO3 I currently use!  :angry: (Murphy's law at work here. Someone should really kill that Murphy b*st*rd)

P.S. Thanks for the tip Old1953!

View Post

You're welcome.

Wonder if this stuff could be potassium nitrite? That will cure meat as well as nitrate.

The endothermic test can't prove something IS nitrate, but it can certainly indicate when it isn't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users