7 replies to this topic

#1 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:30 PM

I would advise anyone who has not yet sampled their products to do so - it's worth it.

I bought lots of relatively tame effects from them for a small garden display I was placed in charge of.

From back to front:

Some well-placed bengals, saxons, and some Weco pin-wheels (which seem to go on forever).

Fanned racks of 19mm and 24mm "superior" cylindrical display fountains - golden charcoal in the middle, glitter/flitter to the outsides.

And at the front, a huge fanned rack of "jumping jelly beans" micro-star fountains (I think these are a new offering). These really are special - the best garden fountains I've ever seen.

That doesn't seem like much, and it only lasted 2 minutes, but the combined effect was truely wonderful. High-level spinners at the back, raised charcoal fountains in the middle, fronted by a wall of micro-star fountains.

I got good feedback from the audience, and one thing that I noted was the amount of comments relating to the colours in the micro-star fountains. I had several people saying they've never seen such vibrant colours in fireworks before. I aggree thoroughly, I was just quite shocked that they actually noticed.

I just wish I had managed to get some pictures. :(

Anyone else love Kimbolton?

#2 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

Yes, I have sampled Kimboltons products before.
And I must admit it they are spectacular! And not too pricy either. And the great thing with them, they?re English and founded by Reverend Ron Lancaster.
:D
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#3 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:09 PM

Yes you brits should be proud on such a manufacturer, I realy admire the fact that he's still producing consumer fireworks in a time of ever increasing safety and inviroment laws.

A couple of years back I saw a fireworks documentary on discovery channel, they also payed a visit to the kimbolton factory, very nice stuff.
There was also a part where Ron Lancaster demonstrated the various compositions and effects to a class of school children, I envy them...
I sadly didn't tape it :( .
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#4 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:14 PM

I'm sorry Broadsword. I must put the record straight. A great deal of Kimbolton's products that it sells are not English. Much is Chinese. Weco is a German company (I have it on good authority that most, if not all, of their products are now made in China). Even the 19mm & 24mm fountains, whilst made by Kimbolton, are a shadow of their former self. The gunpowder content has been weakened down, and a gerb that used to reach 4 metres in height, now struggles to reach 2 metres. Please don't get me wrong, some of the products Kimbolton sells and makes are very good, but there seems to be a general myth about how much of the stuff they sell is made in the UK.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#5 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:44 PM

A great deal of Kimbolton's products that it sells are not English. Much is Chinese. Weco is a German company (I have it on good authority that most, if not all,  of their products are now made in China). Even the 19mm & 24mm fountains, whilst made by Kimbolton, are a shadow of their former self. The gunpowder content has been weakened down, and a gerb that used to reach 4 metres in height, now struggles to reach 2 metres. Please don't get me wrong, some of the products Kimbolton sells and makes are very good, but there seems to be a general myth about how much of the stuff they sell is made in the UK.

View Post

I know Weco are German, and I think they use their rocket motors too. I must admit, I was expecting a little more power from the cylindrical fountains, but still - I've never seen such quality from Chinese goods.

I had assumed that a large portion of their stuff was produced in the UK, though.

#6 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:02 PM

But the company is based in England! Which is great because we all know how all big firms are leaving the UK. (I.E Norwich Union!)
And for a large firework company to stay in the UK, when it would be more profitiable to move to another country I think is great!
Good on Kimbolton :D

Edited by broadsword, 22 February 2005 - 02:03 PM.

Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#7 chemicalwazi

chemicalwazi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:05 PM

We have been using Kimbolton gear for the last three Guy Fawkes nights.

Last year we put up around ?750 in 7.5 mins to music and filled every level. Amongst other bits we used 85mm and 65mm mines some mounted at angles so they crossed. Also we had a Pigeon on a 50m line which the kids loved. Their technical guys are very helpful with advice about delays/heights etc
I will definatley be going to them again this year for some more tricks

Great colours & Top Job to them :D

Edited by chemicalwazi, 22 February 2005 - 05:06 PM.

"The Saltpeter is the Soule, the Sulphur the Life, and the Coales the Body of it"

#8 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:18 PM

None of the Kimbolton Consumer fireworks are made in the UK. This includes the fountains. Kimbolton still makes the entire range of fireworks, including fireworks that are clssified as garden fireworks ? however, they are made for their own display or made to order.

It is not secret in the industry that kimbolton make the majority of it?s profits from displays ? and sad as it may be, unless radical changes are made in laws relating to fireworks, we can?t expect kimbolton to manufacture the entire range forever ?

Still ? Kimbolton stars classed as one of the best, and the quelity of their products is unrivalied ? the only reason why they are still in the business.

Edited by BigG, 22 February 2005 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users