1569 replies to this topic

#1 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:04 PM

I have some 42mm plastic shell hemispheres. I also have some 52.9mm mortars. This leaves me with a gap of 5.45mm around the shell. I'm assuming the gap is too big. Should I paste some kraft around it to increase the shells diameter?

Also, for shells with the 1/8" fuse hole, is wrapping the visco in some tape, inserting it, and hot-glueing both ends sufficient to hold it in?

Thanks guys

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 06:27 PM

No it will be fine. For example, a shell to be fired from a 4" mortar might be rolled on a 3.5" case former.

For the small festival ball shells, secure the fuse to a snug fit and then use hot glue either side to secure.

#3 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 07:48 PM

Thanks for that. I'm nearly there now... just my lift to sort out now. So far, my shell weighs in at just over 35g. My previous shells have weighed about half that and have launched well with 3-4g lift.

This is the shell - rising comet attached, and the pile of meal I propose to lift it with. The lift is 6.5g of 2-9mm granules.

Posted Image
mods: is this ^ pic too big?

Anything seriously wrong here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#4 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:36 PM

What's with the time fuse?? Looks a bit toooooo loooonnngggg to me. I am also wondering if the lift power is too 'coarse'?
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#5 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 09:50 PM

It thought that might be the case :rolleyes: I've left the fuse long, so I can adjust it later. Will shorten it a bit... I've never seen any mention of special priming for visco, so I'll just cut at a nice diagonal, and get a blob of meal on there.

I'm waiting on some screens from Steve ;) so I can sort my granules out. I was thinking approx 4mm grains would suit ? :blink:

Thanks for the help.

#6 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:02 PM

Use a 10 mesh screen to granulate your lift powder. That will be equal to roughly 2F.

#7 bobconan

bobconan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 July 2004 - 10:33 PM

Jow much goex would you need for a 3 inch shell? How about a heavy 4"shell?
I like blue

#8 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 09:54 AM

The rule of thumb is one ounce of 2FA per pound of shell weight. Basically, one sixteenth of the shells weight. For smaller shells, you might need more. I usually use just under 1/10 of the shells weight of BP for my 1-1/2" shells.

There is a table in the Passfire Reference section that gives typical lift charges.

#9 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 03:02 PM

The lift charge is something you have to fine tune your self. It depends on the BP quality, BP mesh, "mortar-shell gap" and the shell's wheight. And how high the builder likes it to travel.

Good guide lines for spherical shells are 30 grams for a 3" and 40 grams for a 4" +- 5 grams. Cylindrical shells tends to be higher and this adds on some extra wheight. (I use about 15 grams of lift for a 2" cylindrical shell of ~70 grams.)
The mesh size is not critical. For 2-3" shells a grain size of 2-5mm is something to start with.

One second time fuse is something to start with for a 2-3" shell.

I know a lot of people has a lot to say about lift and time fuses. I can only say one thing:
-You have to find out the correct parameters your self.

Pyro is not an exact science. ;)

EDIT: By the way your shell looks nice :-)

Edited by Yugen-biki, 02 July 2004 - 03:03 PM.

#10 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 05:00 PM

Hi what end do you put that shell in the mortor with that comet on top. Is the comet going to lift the shell? or egnit in the air when the shell brakes? Thanks.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#11 Loci

Loci

Time Lord

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 July 2004 - 05:24 PM

The Comet will go in facing upwards and will be ignited by the hot rapidly expanding gasses...
"There are always alternatives. "
"If your Aunty had balls.... She'd be your Uncle!"

#12 Kembang Api

Kembang Api

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:45 AM

Creepin_pyro: Looking at the picture along the break line of your shell, I would recommend that you should add more tape so that the shell will hold a bit longer for the shell to burst and give you a better reports at the same time to let the stars travel out in a longer distance or give a bigger diameter effect.

If you have to have a longer fuse because of your comets have to be hanging there, I would suggest that you should take some of the meal powder inside the fuse and replace with a couple of black fuse (this will act as a quick fuse).

I think you would need at least 5 seconds fuse and about 2 second fuse to ignite the lift charge. This will give you 3 seconds for the shell to travel up from the mortar (20 to 25 meter). Depending on the lift charge quality.

Yugen-biki: You have to find out the correct parameters your self

#13 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:16 PM

I think you would need at least 5 seconds fuse and about 2 second fuse to ignite the lift charge. This will give you 3 seconds for the shell to travel up from the mortar (20 to 25 meter). Depending on the lift charge quality.

Thanks for the advice, but I really don't understand the last bit. Do you mean 5 seconds to run away from the mortar?

#14 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:55 PM

Kembang Api

Yugen-biki: You have to find out the correct parameters your self

I don't understand.

#15 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:07 AM

Use a 10 mesh screen to granulate your lift powder. That will be equal to roughly 2F.

I assume you mean by passing the damp composition through a 10 mesh sieve. I haven't tried this method yet, but will give it a go.

If I use a 10 mesh sieve with my pressed, granulated stuff, should I use grains that the 10 mesh holds, or just try to get the grains close to 10 mesh?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users