1569 replies to this topic

#571 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

Maybe it's just me, but that comet you have on top looks gigantic. It is extremely long, well assuming it is even a comet. It seems to be far to wide for a spoolette. Be sides that it looks excellent, and I hope you'll get a video.

#572 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

Yepp ;D The comet is a - for a 3" shell - really oversized one. It?s a 1" comet to get a really good rising tail. The comet itself isn?t that long. Its only 25mm long, but the space up the comet is filled with a bit CIA bp and a piece of newspaper wrapped around it to aid ignition.

paul

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#573 gerritje

gerritje

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

WOW verry verry nice, almost a chinese pro ! Can`t wait to see the video.

#574 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:00 AM

Nice looking shell Paul, should be good to see it in action. Is it waiting for the quickmatch leader or will you be using an electronic ignitor in the lift to fire it? I bet the comet will light!! :D I have been experimenting with the 50mm tiger tail comets, i have two of them drying at the moment. When dry i will stick one to my 5inch multi colour kaleidascope shell. Of course you lot will see the videos! :D

Edited by karlfoxman, 25 October 2005 - 07:00 AM.

#575 Chaz

Chaz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:20 PM

http://x400.putfile....29714250763.wmv

A red, 1 5/8" shell. 3.5g of whistle burst, which was definately overkill, only 2/3 of the stars ignited. I'm starting to think that this is approaching the best effect I'm going to manage with a shell size this small. Sounds like a good excuse to move up to 2 1/2 or 3 inch shells to me. ;) What does everyone think?

#576 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

I like that shell! Yepp, the burst really is a bit overkill but if all the stars would have worked properly the shell would have been great.

Especially for the size of 1 5/8" as you mentioned. Nice rising tail, too!

Keep up the good work and the videos comin? !

My flickr photo album

#577 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

So, today we shot the 3" shell... What can I say. The lift was great, slowly rising into the air, leaving a blinking trail of charcoal and aluminium particles. It reaches the highest point, gets slower and finally stops.

BUT THE F******* shell didn?t go *bang*. A few seconds later the last thing I heard was the dull, cruelsome sound of a shell hitting the wet field.

I think it was the timefuse which I primed with shellack/bp WITHOUT a piece of blackmatch this time.

Pasted the next shell. I need a feeling of success as fast as possible :)

greets,

paul

My flickr photo album

#578 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:59 PM

Oh no!!! We all know how this feels, well we all learn from our mistakes. Next time i bet the will all be cross matched. Never seen shellac used with bp as a slurry type prime before, how well does it work??

#579 moe

moe

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:19 PM

I told paul that it doesnt work well, but he didnt believe me....now he does ;)

Edited by moe, 27 October 2005 - 04:20 PM.

#580 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:54 PM

Well, failures are what makes the world turn.
Keep your chin up paul.

#581 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:38 PM

Hello everyone! I am recently bulding a 6" ball shell with15mm cut stars. I filled one half with the stars.

Posted Image

Here are two HQ pics:

http://kkpaul.rpgame...ausgelegt_1.jpg
http://kkpaul.rpgame...ausgelegt_2.jpg

What would you suggest to use as the break charge?! I thought that bp coated ccm would do. Any suggestions regarding a flash booster, timing and so on?!

regards,

paul

Edited by paul, 30 October 2005 - 03:38 PM.

My flickr photo album

#582 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:26 PM

For a shell that big you want BP on something like rice shells, puffed rice or some other light-weight, high surface area media. And because they are cut stars doesn't mean you should treat them different from rolled stars, so just put the burst charge (with maybe a small 1g flash packet) in some tissue paper like you would with any other shell. But of course, since you will be using BP, make a lot of pasted layers.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#583 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:30 PM

I reccomend that you boost the shell with whistle and use something like 20 layers of craft paper. I would use about 4 second time fuse.

#584 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:19 PM

I don?t know who it was, but I think it was you, Yugen-biki, who uses spoolettes for timing shells.
I can be wrong with that anyway.

Passfire only gives a table for canister shells regarding spoolette dimensions. But 17mm OD for a spoolette in a ball shell seems plenty too much for me. I rolled mine around a 8mm rod and they have 2mm walls. Do they suit or do I have to build stronger ones?!

Sorry if allt his has been discussed before, couldn?t find what I needed!

regards,

paul

My flickr photo album

#585 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 02:37 PM

I don?t know who it was, but I think it was you, Yugen-biki, who uses spoolettes for timing shells.
I can be wrong with that anyway.

Passfire only gives a table for canister shells regarding spoolette dimensions. But 17mm OD for a spoolette in a ball shell seems plenty too much for me. I rolled mine around a 8mm rod and they have 2mm walls. Do they suit or do I have to build stronger ones?!

Sorry if allt his has been discussed before, couldn?t find what I needed!

regards,

paul

You only need strong thick walls so you can ram the bp into the tube, i have used spoolettes lots of times and i have never really had problems using them. I use 5mm brass rod to form the tubes and ram the blackpowder. The total diameter ends up being 10mm. I have used this size tube in 3,4 and 5 inch shells spherical and cylindrical. Try rolling and drying a few tubes and then ramming them very hard with bp, if they split under the strain then roll thicker walled ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users