1569 replies to this topic

#616 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:36 PM

Flippin great!! very tasty.. nice strong burst nice and round to ...Brilliant...How far away were you when you filmed it?.. lets have some more please!!

#617 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

It was not far enough away if it were free field between us and the moratar.
But there was a huge line of trees and bushes between us. The distance was about 30m.

+ the mortar was angeled away from us. not straight in the air. So that the shell would?ve never coome down in the area where we stood.

There was NO sight through the line?o bushes so it was ok and estimated as safe. But next time, we?ll stand back much more.

good night, I?m tired. Have to get some sleep. I?m off.

Edited by paul, 16 November 2005 - 10:46 PM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#618 Maineiac

Maineiac

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:36 PM

Very nice work Paul! An impressive shell by all means.

#619 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 11:48 PM

Ohhhhhh, fair shell mate. Now thats what i love a home made shell doing what they do best. Very well done to you mate, i am still yet to make a 6inch shell but i hope when i do it will be as good as that. Fantastic break and spread, timed very well and went high! WELL DONE

Edited by karlfoxman, 16 November 2005 - 11:48 PM.

#620 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 12:28 AM

Paul did you fire your 3" shell as well? you mentioned earlier you were going to fire them together so give some idea of the burst size?..

Also how many total layers did you paste? on your 6" shell..
Not many posts of shells in action sofar this year lets hope this inspires us all to go out a film a few of em in action!!.. I am chomping at the bit ... to make some...Nearly got everything in place just another week orso and i will be up and running.. :ph34r: i would like to see some members Crossette shells in action..Anyone got any videos of them in action?

#621 GBthriller

GBthriller

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:01 AM

That was truly...(at a loss for words)...your first[/i] 6 inch shell eh? WOW!

The scale of this piece is best demonstrated by the lift charge, nice job capturing it on video. Sometimes I like the lift as much as anything. Great timing too.

"In the midnight hour they cried more, more, more!!!"

Wake up Paul, we want another!!!

GBT

Edit: Do you figure both comet/streamers lit? I could only see the tail just prior to the break, due to velocity no doubt.

Edited by GBthriller, 17 November 2005 - 07:03 AM.

#622 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:04 AM

Great Shell mate. Your hard work has truly paid off in that one.

Good lift, Nice well timed break. Lovely effect. Can't really fault it in all honesty!

I'm V.impressed!

#623 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:35 AM

GBT

Edit: Do you figure both comet/streamers lit? I could only see the tail just prior to the break, due to velocity no doubt.

It was a too slow burning composition.They both lit I think, and the tail was much more visible in reality, BUT they definately lit too late I think, so you?re right with your statement.
Next time I?ll use a bigger faster burning one.

[b]MANY MANY thanks for all your input guys. This really encourages to make another one!!!

My plan is to buil one with an inner petal of 14mm stars and a ring of small other shells. So in fact a saturn shell with the ring stars substituted with small flower shells :D

good morning,

have to leave now. school waits. every morning. adamantly.
:) cu then

My flickr photo album

#624 gerritje

gerritje

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:08 AM

WOW paul, I must say really great !!! I hope i can build something like that in the future.

#625 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:11 PM

When i have seen comet tails for shells they all seem large, I would stick at least a 2inch comet on top of a 6inch shell. I am still waiting for the time to build a shell with a large 1.5inch star stuck to it the star being a very bright mg/al one. I think i have too many ideas floating around, i must sit down and get on with them.

#626 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:37 PM

Thats the point! Way too many great ideas of which only very few can be realised :)

I would like to seize your sugggestion to build a shell with a huge comet on top.

Something like this:

Posted Image

still is a dream of me to realise.

Let?s see, whats possible. This is, btw. a 6" shell.

My flickr photo album

#627 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:18 PM

Thats the point! Way too many great ideas of which only very few can be realised :)

I would like to seize your sugggestion to build a shell with a huge comet on top.

Something like this:

Posted Image

still is a dream of me to realise.

Let?s see, whats possible. This is, btw. a 6" shell.

That looks a fairly simple shell, ferro titanium comets by the looks of it. Palm tree shell? Those are 2-3 inch comets used i should think. And yes a large palm tree shell is also on the list, but first the saturn shell and the poka shell :D

#628 gerritje

gerritje

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:19 PM

Does anybody know what starformula is use in the shell above ( the picture in the post of paul ) Something with Fe or C in it I think.

karlfoxman was 1 min faster with posting :P

Edited by gerritje, 17 November 2005 - 07:41 PM.

#629 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:44 PM

Does anybody know what starformula is use in the shell above ( the picture in the post of paul ) Something with Fe or C in it I think.

Blond streamer #1

Source: David Bleser

Potassium Nitrate - 45
Charcoal Airfloat - 29
Ferro-Titanium 40-325 mesh, 60:40 - 15
Sulphur - 6
Dextrin - 5

This would give a similar effect, note the ferro ti is a wide range of mesh sizes. This is to get a nice bushy 'leaf' the smaller particles will burn quickly and the larger will start to fall from the path of the star. A truly beautiful star that i love very much mmmm VERY CHEAP TOO!!! Apart from the ferro ti but it does weigh alot.

#630 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:45 PM

I wonder if there is a way to get the irregularity of shape out of the tail. I mean a straight line would look much better than this tail that comes from the rotating from the shell.

Is there a way to prevent the shell from rotating?! Maybe to add a type of fire broof barrier tape or something to it?! With projectileas and arrows this method works. So why should it not work with a shell?

Any coments or suggestions?

My flickr photo album

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users