#1291 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:42 AM

Just one word: Sweeeeeeeet!

Really looking forward to the video! What´s in the inserts?
I know that term but oviously don´t know what effect it does describe...

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#1292 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:30 AM

http://www.fireworks...o13farfalle.gif

#1293 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:32 PM

Maxman david bleser says whistle mix needs to be well mixed to function properly screened 5 or 6 times through a 40 mesh screen..He also mentions properly mixed whistle should have a burning rate of 5.5 mm sec when packed into a narrow gauge tube?..

#1294 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 07:59 AM

Maxman david bleser says whistle mix needs to be well mixed to function properly screened 5 or 6 times through a 40 mesh screen..He also mentions properly mixed whistle should have a burning rate of 5.5 mm sec when packed into a narrow gauge tube?..

Sasman, Well when I made the mix dry by screening it was about as fast as meal only. This time I milled sodium benzoate and perc separately for 9 hours I screened the benzoate and red iron oxide together. I dissolved the petroleum jelly in Coleman fuel and poured that onto the benzoate/ iron oxide mix then threw in the perc and stirred for ages. I'm at a loss how to do anything any better than I already have now.

#1295 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:10 AM

Nice shell construcion pix you got there, al! I´m impressed!

I posted this in the tubecam thread already, but I think it fits here way better:

I placed a video camera a few cm away on the field next to a 210mm mortar facing upwards...
I wanted to see how a 210mm shell leaving the mortar looks like.

I did this during a commercial show.

Here is the video!

I especially like the deep *thump* hehe! I was NOT near the cam or the mortar but a few 100m away.

Edited by paul, 09 September 2007 - 11:11 AM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#1296 pihop

pihop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:18 AM

Just wanted to share my lates creation with you guys.
It's a 3" plastic ball shell (couldn't find the ball shell thread) filled with Chrysantemum #6 to Ruby red stars.
Break was 3g flash and bp on mung beans.

#1297 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:23 AM

I'm building up some bigger multibreak shells. Like 5 and 6" 3-5 breaks. I'm looking for a way to end it with a bang, well maybe not literally. Just some nice effects to close it out. I have a few planed, but I still have a few left to go. I was hoping to get some final break ideas. I want it to have kind of a finale, but am not going to be making enough flash for a bottom shot. The first breaks are going to be a variety of colors, comet breaks, and insert shells mostly. As of right now, the plan is for a drawout shell type of break. A color break with a few reports going off nearly simultaneously. One of them is getting a crossette final break. Mostly because I built it without a bottom disk capable of accepting spolettes. Drilling a hole into a live shell isn't something I really want to be doing, plus I'd probably cut the spikes in the process.

Another thing I toyed with was a final break of rosette insert shells, but I don't really like all that chlorate and aluminum and antimony trisulfide, and me having to screen it.

#1298 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

Just one word: Sweeeeeeeet!

Really looking forward to the video! What´s in the inserts?
I know that term but oviously don´t know what effect it does describe...

Farfallas = butterflies = spinners (Italian I think?)
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#1299 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

This is taken from The Best Of Afn V,from a chap called Steve Robinson.
Iam not sure i like screening whistle comp.i got a static shock one time while screening it.
It was then that i found out the colour of adrenalin is brown. :wacko: :wacko:

#1300 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

In our tests with farfalle inserts, they don't actually spin. The farfalle name comes from the inserts themselves. If you look at the picture, it's really not much of a butterfly looking thing. The name comes from when they burn on the ground. Since both holes are lit, fire and sparks are propelled out both sides. It does indeed look quite a bit like a butterfly actually. I giant flaming butterfly. However when they are being propelled through the air, from a shell, the butterfly looking effect on the ground is more drawn out into long strands. If, given enough time, the inserts slowed down, they would probably have a butterly like spray to them, similar to how pillbox stars have that double envelope type of shape to them.

#1301 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:20 PM

Just got back from firing a few more test shells... :D ...They were flippin great!!!..They dont capture very well on video but i fired 2 x 4"plastic the first was a skylighter plastic ball shell i glued them together at about 6 o'clock so i should have given them more time to dry.. but they are only a test to see how big i should roll up the stars so they break is not that important..The 2nd shell was a Gammon shell identical to the first exept i used less lift ...

The comp was willow diadem..they were excellent effect long hang time pitty the subtle effect is not caught on video...The stars were jus about right for a 4" shell if i use a little more lift..

The last shell was a 6" gammon plastic using slow gold stars to flash core they need to be rolled up a little bigger i wanted a slight drooping effect.. but because i had the flash core i didnt want the risk of them hitting the ground.. i will roll them up a bit bigger next time...I would love to see half a dozen of these fired at the same time.. it would look fantastic..I will post vide later..

#1302 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

Sasman, Well when I made the mix dry by screening it was about as fast as meal only. This time I milled sodium benzoate and perc separately for 9 hours I screened the benzoate and red iron oxide together. I dissolved the petroleum jelly in Coleman fuel and poured that onto the benzoate/ iron oxide mix then threw in the perc and stirred for ages. I'm at a loss how to do anything any better than I already have now.

You're not alone in having whistle mix fail to perform the way it's supposed to even after proper mixing technique is used. Many seem to think the performance differences are due to the perchlorate or pesky solvent remnants. Place a few desiccant packs inside your whistle fuel for a few days to see if that helps (it helped at least 3 guys at this years PGI convention). Alternatively, change your fuel to 77:19:3 +2.5 and see if that helps increase performance.

#1303 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:26 PM

er

Edited by sasman, 25 October 2010 - 09:31 PM.

#1304 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 08:17 AM

Sasman, I envy you! It must be your flash that gives it the kick I so yearn for :( Lovely shells once again!

#1305 pihop

pihop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:02 PM

Sasman, I envy you! It must be your flash that gives it the kick I so yearn for :( Lovely shells once again!

It is the flash that givet that good break. I never got good breaks with my plastic shells until i started using flashbags as boosters.
Here is another 3" shell with 3g flashbag and BP coated beans. The cameraman was standing about 40m (120') from the mortar and still didn't capture the whole break.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users