• Please log in to reply
1569 replies to this topic

#1381 pihop

pihop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:48 PM

Great shells pihop, Can you give us any details? What were the twinkling stars with the big break? size? burst?

I think I wrote what kind of stars i used in the deacription but never mind.
They were round 13mm winokur 20. The break was regular KP on ricehulls.
All shells were lifted by 40g of bp. The shells were pasted with 10 layers of gummed tape using the three strip method (that makes for 20 layers).

The 2nd shell were also 13mm Winokur 20 stars with a ring of chrysanthemum6 to ruby red stars (doesnt show very well in the video).
The break was BP on hulls and KP on hulls about 60/40.
Pasted with 9 layers of gummed tape using the three strip method.

#1382 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:55 PM

You did I'm sorry. I was rushing, doing other things and missed that. Thank you anyhow.

#1383 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

er

Edited by sasman, 25 October 2010 - 09:22 PM.

#1384 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:17 AM

I'm curious as to how well that wide of paper lays down for you. I have trouble getting 1" wide 35lb kraft tape to lay down very well. I can't imagine trying 2". Very nice shells though. Was the flash boosted burst that much bigger, or was the camera perhaps a bit closer/zoomed in?

#1385 KarlosH

KarlosH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:10 AM

15laers? Hm, can you send photo of youre paper2 finished shell? I want see shell with many layers of paper. Thanks.

#1386 pihop

pihop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

15laers? Hm, can you send photo of youre paper2 finished shell? I want see shell with many layers of paper. Thanks.

I wouldn't really say that 15 layers is that many layers. When I paste my shells I normally use 4-6 layers per inch of b**b. For my last 4" i used 20 layers of gummed tape.

#1387 KarlosH

KarlosH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:25 AM

OK. Gummed tape is not like craft paper, hm? I though, that gummed tape must be cumulated on poles, like a many layers of paper and shape of ball imust be egg shapped.:-) Sorry. Sasmans shell is very nice, good shape of stars-flover.

Edited by KarlosH, 13 November 2007 - 09:30 AM.

#1388 leosedf

leosedf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:34 AM

OK. Gummed tape is not like craft paper, hm? I though, that gummed tape must be cumulated on poles, like a many layers of paper and shape of ball imust be egg shapped.:-) Sorry. Sasmans shell is very nice, good shape of stars-flover.

It is Kraft paper.

I am using the 2 strip method (on passfire) and i get beautifull round shells. Shells dry very fast and the casing gets very strong. Will post pics when ready.

I used the same method with weat paste.

#1389 KarlosH

KarlosH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

Oh! Gummed tape is kraft paper with glue. Well. I didīt know that gummed tape is a craft paper, sorry. I ussing gummed tape too, but only 6 layers for 3,5inch shell.
When I add more layers, shape is a deformed.
http://img03.picoodl...kam_122e29d.jpg
Sorry. Bye.

#1390 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:13 AM

I have always used gummed tape, it works a treat. I cut each strip so it forms a point on each end, this reduces the overlap on the top and bottom of the pasting. These gamon shells are usually in Spain strapped using a machine and something that is very similar to masking tape. Im sure there are pictures in the net somewhere. Im going to be making some beraq pattern shells in the very near future and I will be using my Gamon paper shells for this job. Ill post pictures as I build. I have now tuned my beraq and they work very very well, the new beraq punching tool is so much safer and it makes the job easier to do.

#1391 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

..The question i would like to know is how big is a commercial 4" break..should be?..I dont want to make 4" shells that perform as a 3"?...

It varies a fair bit with the effect to be honest. Looking at some pics from our shows normally I would reckon about 70...80m diameter for a 4" chrysanth/peony, though some very hard breaking shells (e.g. some Lidu) are bigger than that :unsure: . Equally some droopy effects are rather smaller. Beware of trying to make the burst too big, especially with peonies, the star density gets too low and the effect is a bit "empty" and loses impact, though adding some stars of the same colour into the burst to make a sort of pistil helps a bit.

Edited by pyrotrev, 13 November 2007 - 01:56 PM.

Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#1392 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

That's a very nice break from a bp only burstcharge, I like the colour to.
15 layers of paper isn't that a bit to much? how long did it take to paste that shell?
I think the Chinese use a KP breakcharge but that depends on the manufacturer, I've seen some chinese shells that definitely had a flash booster in there, presumably with a main burstcharge of bp on hulls.
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#1393 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

I took a few photos ..but didnt take any of the finished shell..I will take some next time i make some..Posted Image

I pasted the shell with 4 strips..I wet the strips with a sponge without letting the water soak into the paper after adding 4 strips( 1 layer) i rolled the shell on the table with my hand to smooth out most of the bumps...Posted Image

The gammon paper shells have a plastic fuse holder and a plastic bottom piece this makes it hard for me to roll perfectly round ..I just cut the strips straight off the roll with a straight cut .. i didnt shape the strips..Mumbles the video clips are taken with no zoom and taken from the same distance...so you can get an idea of scale..

I will make 2 more shells 1 with boost 1 with no boost and fire them at same time then i will get a better idea of the difference in breaks size that way..I have run out of stars and the klumac reds took a long time to make...so may not be able to make some shells for a week or two..Jerronimo how many layers do you suggest?..

David bleser said use 9 layer of 50 to 60 lb kraft i used 1/2 the strength so i nearly doubled the layers?..I didnt take much notice of time it took maybe 30 minutes not sure...The Klumac reds are much redder than in the video they are a very nice deep red...only problem with them is that they are slow burning and so the stars are a bit small?..

#1394 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:16 PM

Here's a video of my ast shoot. For more info on teh shells se the video description.

I'm quite pleased with all the shells considering my lack of experience.

I donīt see any lack in experience, dude! Quite the opposite! I like your shells. Youīve
managed to get some nice, and ROUND breaks there. This letīs me think youīre not
THAT inexperienced :) Keep that good stuff coming and give us some construction pix
next time if you donīt mind.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#1395 leosedf

leosedf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:58 AM

sasman, i searched about the klumac formula and didn't found it. Can you give it to us?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users