• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 02:34 AM

To any of you who have made fanned cakes(This is my first fanned cake). I am contemplating a few designs in my head right now on how exactly I am going to fan the cake I described earlier. For those who dont want to scroll back it will be a fanned cake I originally said 9 shots per fan but changed it to 7 which I will explain shortly. 1/2" pumped stars a silver comet formula from skylighter.

I originally planned for 9 shots per fan but decided thta 7 shots would be optimal starting with the first shot at 60* then 70*, 80*, 90*, 100*, 110*, and 120*. I didnt want to have 9 shots and angle anything to low and have a star hit the ground nor bunch up the effect too much. Right now I was thinking of cutting up 1" lengthed 1/2" dowel rod at those angles as well as the bottom of the tubes I have. Then glue the rods and drill the tubes for fuse, then simply place each tube on each dowel.

That was the only thing I could think of at the moment since my only fusing option right now is visquick. The angled dowel makes it easy to pass the visquick straight through each tube.

If anyone has any other ideas or a thought to make it easier let me know. When I am finished and fire it, hopefully within two weeks as I am still tuning the stars, lift, etc., I will film and post results. It will probably not be anything like my idea of a wall of white/silver in the air but hopefully close. I might have to scale up to 3/4" or 1" to get a denser tail.

I was also thinking of changing the Al from spheroidal 80-325 mesh to flake firefly 40-325 mesh to see if I can get a somewhat denser longer lasting effect.

#32 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:20 PM

Go here and click the fancake.mp4 and watch the video I have from a friends show. The cake is called Chasing tails I believe.

Any idea on a formula to give a similiar effect and what size star to use?

#33 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 11:32 PM

Could be a titanium based streamer. Seems quite bright and long duration. Perc based aluminium streamers would have the same effect.

#34 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 12:19 AM

Could be a titanium based streamer. Seems quite bright and long duration. Perc based aluminium streamers would have the same effect.

I was thinking Shimizu's Silver wave 50/50 or 45/50 ratio. Possibly mix up a coarse flake Al with some very coarse Firefly Al. Thanks RichardH.

Any Ti streamers off the top of your heads?

When I saw that I immediately had to find out what cake it was and get it for my next show. In person it was amazing. His whole yard was lit up. Then when it started raining "white" at night all around us it was surreal.

Edited by italteen3, 09 November 2005 - 12:20 AM.

#35 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:42 AM

Too lazy to go grab one of my books at the moment, but something like:

85 Meal blackpowder
10 Titanium (60-100 mesh)
5 Dextrin

Will probably be in the right direction. That formula could easily be a mixed flitter star with Potassium Perchlorate however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users