• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 1145climber

1145climber

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:31 AM

does anyone have any suggestions as to what an amateur pyrotechnician (i like the sound of it) such as myself should buy? i am not producing anything in massive quantities, and am only making basic compositions such as black powder. also, i am looking for something cheap. any ideas on whether to use digital or a triple beam balance?

im an avid ebay user, and was checking out the following auctions:
Ohaus Triple Beam Balance
or
No-Name Digital 500g, 0.1g accurate Scale (over, but there are many similar auctions)

any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Edited by 1145climber, 02 May 2005 - 12:31 AM.

#2 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 01:50 AM

That last link is the exact same scales i use! I find it works great. I have also dropped it a couple of times, :blush: (when switched off!) and it seems to be ok!
All-in-all a good set of scales for the price!
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#3 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 04:51 AM

I also have a similar scale like the the last one only mine is accurate at 0.05g and has a weighing range of 200grams

my suggestion is: buy the digital one, it's simple, accurate why bother witha manual one.

#4 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 05:22 AM

YES, digital one!

A decimal is very good to have. Maby not in the beginning as an amateur pyrotechnician but you'll miss it when you don't have it.

I have a 600g capacity scale with a resolution of 0,01g. It was worth the money!

#5 1145climber

1145climber

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

Alright, thanks very much everybody. I appreciate all the tips, and ill definately buy that one.

#6 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:10 PM

Alright, thanks very much everybody. I appreciate all the tips, and ill definately buy that one.

View Post

i bought one similar to it, 500g with 0.1g incraments, it's great.

#7 Erwin

Erwin

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

I have differn't digital scales with differn't accurations.
100g-0,01g
5kilo-1g
There very usefull for weighting small and accurate compositions and for big compositions.
I'm thinking of buying a 500gr scale to, with should be atleast 0,1g accurate.

My opinoin: Go for digital scales :) .

#8 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:21 PM

I have differn't digital scales with differn't accurations.
100g-0,01g
5kilo-1g
There very usefull for weighting small and accurate compositions and for big compositions.
I'm thinking of buying a 500gr scale to, with should be atleast 0,1g accurate.

My opinoin: Go for digital scales :) .

View Post

I think both Digital and Ohaus Trple Beams Both Have a place in the shop. If you are playing with alot shimizu's formulae, which are nearly always to the 10th of a gram.....XYZ 13.5
............ABC 65.3, etc, the tripe beams offer resolution you can see, whereas digitals you are relying on a calibration you can niether see nor adjust except in some of the very high end digitals. I use a digital that I calibrated using known weights from the triple beams and it is 7 10ths of a gram off across the board. So if your serious about duplicating The Masters Work, you'll have to use the masters tools, hence the opinion that both are needed in any shop.....just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

Stay Green,

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#9 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

I am looking for some more scales.. The one i have at present is a Ohaus triple beam balance 310 g capacity 0.01 g resolution.. i have had this for 20 + years..and works perfectly ,but i would like to be able to weigh in bigger amounts..

I have seen some of theses new digital scales on ebay they are very cheap but i dont trust them?...My GF :wub: has a set of digital scales that are suposed to measure +-1g resolution yet when i have used them for weighing my lift charge i weighed out 35 g i then took it off the scale and tried it again and it weighed 37g? then 34g? etc...also i weighed the contents of an orb rocket the same thing happned it varied by several grams each time.. this has put me of buying a digital scale?

Has anyone got a recomendation of a good cheap digital scale? ..i am only thinking about a new scale due to the cost factor..obviously i can buy a expensive scale that will be accurate but i am talking about these cheap scales you see on ebay are thay accurate?..a 1kg scale is what i am looking for

#10 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:49 PM

Just get a new triple beam. I have one that can handle upto 3kg's or so with the counter weights supplied. Very cheap at around ?100, and indeed very accurate to 0.1g.

Mine are made by Salter-Brecknell. A quick google brings up many suppliers of these types of scales.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users