3 replies to this topic

#1 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 May 2003 - 06:40 PM

hey everyone. i FINALLY got my rockets to work every time. i just wondered if anyone could give me any advice on fixing a payload i.e. a small cracker. my rockets are 1 cm I.D., 7 cm long. they shoot up extremely fast and are out of sight within a few seconds. i will get one on camera and put on my site soon. the rocket comp i use is the standard BP composition with an extra 5 grams of charcoal and chunky charcoal and 5 grams bright Al powder.

i tryed to attach a m-80 style cracker on the top of one but it was filled with BP. anyway i didnt do it neat as it was just a quick experiment. i put the fuse in the side and drilled a hole in the top of the rocket. i then carefully put the cracker ontop of the rocket motor in a way so the fuse when through the hole just drilled. then i taped it on. and obvioisly put a guide stick on. now, when i lit it, i have no idea how but, the cracker went off first then the rocket went FSSSSHH. WTH? i think that i may have went too far into the BP rocket comp with the holes so the both fuses were actualy touching, i dont no.

im pretty sure (its obvious) thats how you attach the payload, obviously i done it slightly wrong though. any ideas? Cheers, Chris

#2 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 03:16 PM

Just glue and wrap a few turns of pasteboard, strawboard, kraft or even normal writing paper around the top 1" of the rocket motor, fill with your desired heading, leaving a inch or two of space and then crimp/fold and glue the remaining paper.

#3 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 04:35 PM

yes, i tryed that but i obviously didnt secure the top enough and it went POP and blew the end open. i rammed newspaper on top of the rammed BP propellant so that it would stop all the power going down the tube and giving the rocket and extra boost instead of exploding out the sides and burst the casing. would it still burst the case if i simply poured the burst comp on top of the propellant and sealed it?

#4 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 May 2003 - 04:37 PM

i will have some more videos on my site today. i will put one of these rockets in day time and one of them at night time on my site. the second one at night messed up a little at the end of flight as i used a plastic case because i ran out of paper ones, the plastic melted and you will see what happend because of this.

this is my site address, look under the videos section .www.geocities.com/pyromasterman2003

[Edited on 25-5-2003 by Pyromaster2003]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users