• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zmann

Zmann

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:51 PM

anybody out there know where i can get a pound or two of sgrs rice starch.

#2 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:50 PM

Nice first post...

Mybe you could try this

Edited by paul, 11 August 2005 - 03:52 PM.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#3 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:03 PM

Nice first post...

Mybe you could try this

The thought crossed my mind aswell!
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#4 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:47 AM

Does anyone have a procedure for making sgrs? apparently there is one in Shimizu, I'm mainly after the details for temp and time for the roasting part.

Cheers
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#5 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

Does anyone have a procedure for making sgrs? apparently there is one in Shimizu, I'm mainly after the details for temp and time for the roasting part.

Cheers

Same here,has anyone ever tried making SGRS and if so what are the processes involved???I already have an idea,but as steve said its the temp/time part.I'm going to have a go this weekend so may have some answers (hopefully).

dean
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#6 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

oh no, not Twice in one day!

what is "SGRS"? I promise I plan on learning all these new Acronyms if it kills me :P
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#7 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

oh no, not Twice in one day!

what is "SGRS"? I promise I plan on learning all these new Acronyms if it kills me :P

SGRS = Soluble glutinous rice starch :)

#8 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

aha, Thanks :)

#9 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:52 PM

Same here,has anyone ever tried making SGRS and if so what are the processes involved???I already have an idea,but as steve said its the temp/time part.I'm going to have a go this weekend so may have some answers (hopefully).

dean

Shimizu doesn't actually say the exact time and temps for preparing SGRS:

"Glutinous rice is polished and soaked in cold water for a week. This is then steamed in a steam basket and pounded into a cohesive mass. The mass is stretched into a thin plate like a squashed cake, which is parched at a suitable temperature. The parched cake is ground into a fine powder. The powder is somewhat brownish, but has a large cohesion power and is perfectly gelatinized in combination with water. This is the most useful binding agent for firework stars."

I have heard of one fellow ( leosedf, a Greek pyro ) successfully making his own SGRS. Not sure if he's on this forum though ?

Edited by Frozentech, 20 July 2007 - 05:53 PM.

"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#10 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

can`t you simply buy Rice noodles and use that, they are clear as glass almost and when overcooked will indeed turn into something akin to wallpaper paste.

I`ve made rice flour stars before, but I used the flour as both reducing agent And binder (very very nice weeping willow effect in gold).

#11 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:47 PM

Shimizu doesn't actually say the exact time and temps for preparing SGRS:

"Glutinous rice is polished and soaked in cold water for a week. This is then steamed in a steam basket and pounded into a cohesive mass. The mass is stretched into a thin plate like a squashed cake, which is parched at a suitable temperature. The parched cake is ground into a fine powder. The powder is somewhat brownish, but has a large cohesion power and is perfectly gelatinized in combination with water. This is the most useful binding agent for firework stars."

I have heard of one fellow ( leosedf, a Greek pyro ) successfully making his own SGRS. Not sure if he's on this forum though ?

Interesting.Thanx for that Frozentech.It looks like its going to be abit more difficult than i first thought,but i'm always up for a challenge (even though it doesn't look that hard) :rolleyes: I'll let you know how i get on anyway

dean

Edited by portfire, 20 July 2007 - 06:49 PM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#12 Anders Greenman

Anders Greenman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:14 PM

I've made it using pre-polished (porridge?) rice. I steamed it until it was more like a mush than separated corns (took half a day). Then I used a food-processor to make a uniform mass (instead of manually pounding). At this stage the mass should be thick and very cohesive. Then the next step is to bake it in the oven. I applied a thin layer on a board and sat the temperature to 150-200*C. I think it took around 3 hours before the "cake" was getting a light brown colour, ready to be crushed into powder. Crushing is the hardest part and may be quite a challenge. Ball milling might be the best, but takes time and a good media.

I have yet to test it's cohesive power compared to f.ex dextrin, but it worked good in stars. The rice is really the clue here. You need to find a glutinous rice or the product will be useless. Porridge type rice seems to be the best. Jasmine works ok.

Edited by Anders Greenman, 20 July 2007 - 07:17 PM.

Føkk off mate!

#13 ener

ener

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:37 AM

I guess you don't mind this topic bumb...

To make sgrs you need glutinous rice flour, or even better glutinous rice starch.
First you have to knead the flour or starch into a ball with water. Then put the ball on a plate and steam it. Time depends on the size of the ball.
When it is totally soaked with the damp (comming of the water that boils) take the ball out of the pan and throw it in the air, against your ceiling. Then you know why it is such a good binder. I bett you can't even throw the ball away.
Put the clumpy ball in the microwave for several minutes.
When it is completely dry you can mill it into a fine powder.

#14 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

Ive made SGRS as frozentech describes exacty in the previous post.

I simply soaked glutinous rice for 5 days then poured it through a sieve which I then suspended over a large pan of boiling water to steam for an hour, the rice goes all opaique and then mashed it into what I can only describe as a rubber ball! spread it out to about 1/4" thick and roasted it in the oven untill golden and hard. Indeed ballmilling was found to be the only really efficient way of powdering it due to its hardness.

#15 leosedf

leosedf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:06 AM

Indeed ballmilling was found to be the only really efficient way of powdering it due to its hardness.

True, a mortar and pestle does nothing. I made it about a year a go but pyrotechniques site is down at the moment. There were pictures inside with the whole process but i will try to upload elsewhere. I left it about a week in cold water (used only glutinus rice), then steamed it and pound into cakes (at that point it gets very sticky) then dried it in the oven just to get a brownish color. After that only milling is required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users