Deceptive sizes in fireworks

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:37 AM

:) Some manufacturers of fireworks deliberately put spare tubes with nothing in, to increase the size of items when they're nothing of the kind and put large box/cylinder/hexagon/rectangle shapes round single tube fountains to make you think it's big when it ain't and the truth only beckons when you light it. There is NO need for this at all, why can't manufacturers just tell the truth and leave things as they are, instead of putting extra things in i.e. big tubes round small fountains or spare tubes in roman cakes/barrages without effects for perception of value? The term"a wolf in sheep's clothing"springs to mind here. :angry:

Edited by Anthony, 06 October 2005 - 09:42 AM.

#2 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:48 AM

:) Some manufacturers of fireworks deliberately put spare tubes with nothing in, to increase the size of items when they're nothing of the kind and put large box/cylinder/hexagon/rectangle shapes round single tube fountains to make you think it's big when it ain't and the truth only beckons when you light it. There is NO need for this at all, why can't manufacturers just tell the truth and leave things as they are, instead of putting extra things in i.e. big tubes round small fountains or spare tubes in roman cakes/barrages without effects for perception of value? The term"a wolf in sheep's clothing"springs to mind here. :angry:

To any person that woul;d not know better they will think the larger size means there is much more inside and therefore better value. This is the way of making the item sell better. They do it with all sorts, the rockets that have 1/4 filled heads to majke them LOOK BIG!!

#3 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:55 AM

To any person that woul;d not know better they will think the larger size means there is much more inside and therefore better value. This is the way of making the item sell better. They do it with all sorts, the rockets that have 1/4 filled heads to majke them LOOK BIG!!

You're right about rockets, yeah! However Whoppa design rockets do often have (and tend to use) a big 3" 75mm shell to achieve a fantastic shellburst performance (most of the Whoppa design rockets i've had tend to achieve good things in the night sky and Black Cat Sky Whoppa and it's sister Sky Whoppa Delux has improved in the quality of it's bursts). :)

#4 Karl

Karl

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:10 PM

To be honest, I've never seen this before. Can you give some examples to look out for?

Edited by Karl, 06 October 2005 - 01:28 PM.

#5 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:15 PM

Excelsior box selections from Essex Pyrotechnics do the big tube, bugger all in it thing and Astra used to sell at least one huge cone with a five penny tiny fountain glued into the mouth of it.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#6 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:57 AM

Devco tend to do this with some of their fountains, only a few mind, but to make up for it they do have good performance and seem to last a while, all their other products use truthfull sized packaging.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#7 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:24 PM

i always ask to hold all fireworks before i buy, solves the problems.

#8 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:47 AM

Yesterday I bought Golden Lions "Prince" selection box (?10 - 17 small pieces). When the assistant handed me the box - whoohah :blink: This is heavy (for the size of it). Later I weighed the box - just under 3lbs! Never bought this brand before. As we know size is nothing to go by (as the actress said to the bishop) but if weight is - these should be OK!
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#9 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:19 AM

Yesterday I bought Golden Lions "Prince" selection box (?10 - 17 small pieces). When the assistant handed me the box - whoohah :blink: This is heavy (for the size of it). Later I weighed the box - just under 3lbs! Never bought this brand before. As we know size is nothing to go by (as the actress said to the bishop) but if weight is - these should be OK!

Clay weighs alot too, be interesting to know how they perform as the price is not too bad. I will do a tiny display for my little 3 year old niece and that price sounds very good!!

#10 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:21 AM

Yesterday I bought Golden Lions "Prince" selection box (?10 - 17 small pieces). When the assistant handed me the box - whoohah blink.gif This is heavy (for the size of it). Later I weighed the box - just under 3lbs! Never bought this brand before. As we know size is nothing to go by (as the actress said to the bishop) but if weight is - these should be OK!

Not necessarily, I bought a selection box from some garden centre a while back for about ?20, It was quite heavy when carrying it home, got home and opened it and the "heavy" bit consisted of two cakes, the rest were very light fountains and candles.

Edited by sizzle, 20 October 2005 - 09:27 AM.

#11 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:52 AM

Clay weighs alot too, be interesting to know how they perform as the price is not too bad. I will do a tiny display for my little 3 year old niece and that price sounds very good!!

Golden Lion Fireworks are quite good in the effects league even though the names are ridiculous sounding! Buy them your kid will love them. :)

#12 JamesH

JamesH

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

Thast very true karl, I bought a Standard Fireworks "Eagle" rocket last year and the heading on that one was only 1/4 full. Needless to say, i was a bit disappointed, and not particularly impressed with the break either. It was ok but it wasnt fantastic. I wouldnt Buy another at ?10 per rocket.
On the other hand, I bought a very cheap set of 5 rockets called "star storm" by Galaxy from lidl for ?9.99 and their headings were also 1/4 full but their breaks where fantastic, better that the eagle rocket, even though they were quite a bit smaller. I shall be looking out for those again this year!
HE WHO HATH ONCE SMELT THE SMOKE IS NE'ER AGAIN FREE

#13 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:31 AM

TNT's Starburst rockets are good too. Assorted colour stars, ?2.50 a pack. five in a pack. Great value for money.

#14 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:35 PM

Golden Lion also do a slightly bigger ?15 selection box (17 pieces again). There are more aerial effects in this one. Looks good value too. :)
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users