5 replies to this topic

#1 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:11 AM

I heard some fireworks go off last night (a day early I know, but cest la vie), anyway the noise makers were pathetic, so my question is. How is the 120db level measured. Do the regulations state that the db meter must be X metres from the item when it goes off? If so what is that distance?
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#2 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 12:01 PM

I believe the loudest firework commercially avaliable is the 'Signal Rocket'. At 120dB it wil nicely sit on the limit!
I will try and find a picture, but I believe it retails for around ?10 per rocket and doesnt do anything apart from a loud BANG!

EDIT:
Posted Image

Edited by broadsword, 15 October 2005 - 12:04 PM.

Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#3 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for the reply Broadsword. I am aware of the signal rocket and it's availability. I just wondered what the noise limit testing criteria was in the regulations. If last night's items that I heard were anything to go by, it's completely overkill on the noise limit.

I personally can appreciate a pretty far more than a loud bang. Any idiot can make a loud bang if they try , but if a firework is supposed to make a report than it should do so. I can only comment on what I have heard so far.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#4 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 05:01 PM

Mortatube,

The measuring of the db level is a bit of a debateble point even within the pro side of the industry. It still appears to be up for debate as to wether you measure the sound level from the ground with the device going off in the air (logical as that is were the noise is and the people would be on the ground) or do you set the device off at ground level and measure it..
like I said.. debateble :P and logical does not always appear to come into the equasion.
If I get a more definative answer I will update my post for you.
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#5 chemicalwazi

chemicalwazi

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

I believe the loudest firework commercially avaliable is the 'Signal Rocket'. At 120dB it wil nicely sit on the limit!
I will try and find a picture, but I believe it retails for around ?10 per rocket and doesnt do anything apart from a loud BANG!

EDIT:
Posted Image

We are using one of those right at the very start of our Nov 5th show to attract the attention of the audiance . We will be running a fairley quiet intro with a few SFX before we go full tilt. That signal rocket 'CROWDSTOPPER'will definatley do the job. :blink: I know any idiot can make loud bangs, but sometimes you need to do it! People with a few drinks inside them tend to miss the more subtle stuff, so you need to let them know when you are going to start.
"The Saltpeter is the Soule, the Sulphur the Life, and the Coales the Body of it"

#6 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:09 PM

They do have another use.. at some displays they are used to scare birds etc away from a firing area prior to the show. Stops birds taking flight after you start launching shells etc because for some strange reason members of the public dont seem to like dead birds falling out of the sky and landing on them after they have been hit by a shell.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users