• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 jellywerker

jellywerker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

bullets only give off trace smoke, and that only for a short time (5 seconds or so), so you only need a little of what you use.

#17 Mephistos Minion

Mephistos Minion

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:56 AM

Why not just cut a short stick of insence and light it and put it in. There you have it a thin whisp of smoke with no sparks.

#18 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:51 AM

KP Burst gives off a lot of smoke too, why don't you try putting say 0.2g of that in.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#19 5thElement

5thElement

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

Why not just cut a short stick of insence and light it and put it in. There you have it a thin whisp of smoke with no sparks.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Simple but effective :)

#20 Mephistos Minion

Mephistos Minion

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

Why must people insist on using pyrotechnic formula. So much easier. Even jsut a piece of bark will make the effect of thin smoke with no sparks.

#21 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:32 PM

Why must people insist on using pyrotechnic formula. So much easier. Even jsut a piece of bark will make the effect of thin smoke with no sparks.

but what's more fun?
burning BP or bark?

#22 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:23 PM

That's not really the point - if it can be achieve with something safer like talc then do it that way. You won't be burning you face off with a piece of bark (why bark I don't know)
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#23 Kevin J

Kevin J

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

I am wodering, in movies, what do they use for muzzle flashes of handguns? would it just be blank cartriges?

#24 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:47 AM

Our resident expert Adam will confirm this, but yes blank cartridges are often used.

#25 barra69

barra69

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 02:18 PM

From my experience empty cases only smoke when they come from a hot barrel e.g GPMG and such like. Usually the smoke is a result of too much oil on the weapons working parts. If you want to replicate that safely a few seconds of heat from a gas blowlamp and then a couple of drops of oil dropped inside the case might give you the desired effect.

#26 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

Yes, blank ammo is most commonly used to give muzzle flash, although there are some electronic cartridge based guns out there that are considered safer, and also apparently give a better flash in the frame, but I've never used one of those.

#27 parabolic

parabolic

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 09:50 PM

deleted for my outburst,

sorry

Edited by parabolic, 23 December 2005 - 10:36 AM.

#28 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 10:01 PM

barra69,, Can you tell all of us your experience,,, Id like to know who told you and where you learned that stupid idea of you believing that the reason for the smoke is because of the oil??.. mate your full of crap!. and i mean REAL CRAP!!!.

would you like to explain how on earth, too much oil in the weapons working parts can cause a smoking case...
Iam listening....

i'm guessing he thinks it's like when you heat oil up and it starts to smoke as it's so hot?

#29 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:00 PM

It seems quite logical to me that oil inside the weapon would contribute to the effect of a smoking barrel. As for the cartridges I would assume that the propellent is the primary contributer to the effect. Perhaps trace amounts of oil might be present on the hot case as it is ejected if the magazine and firing mechanism were heavily lubricated?

#30 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:23 PM

Parabolic, that was totally uncalled for and your warn level has been adjusted accordingly. We all have the right to disagree, but it should be done in a civilised manner.

And please post your reasons against his theory... ie. Back up your arguement!

Personally, I can see how a bit of oil in the breech, around the firing pin, extractor etc etc may produce smoke on the -outside- of the case, but there may also be a reason how it can happen on the inside. Not having experience that phenomenon myself I can't comment or theorise on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users