11 replies to this topic

#1 Prodigy

Prodigy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 10:11 AM

Hi guys
I'm trying to find somewhere to buy potassium perchlorate in the UK but I've had no luck.
I want to use it in a 70/30 flash powder mix but am having trouble finding any.

Thanks

#2 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:24 AM

Me too

Maybe perchloric acid could be used with potassium chloride/oxide/hydroxide?

How do you make perchloric acid?

#3 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:36 AM

Simple answer.

You don't if you value your limbs / life.

Perchloric acid is highly oxidising and very dangerous.

Don't even think about it.

:(

#4 Prodigy

Prodigy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 11:50 AM

I'm aware of the dangers in trying to make your own!
That's why I'd much rather buy it from somewhere but I'm having trouble finding a site that sells it.
Are any chemists likely to use it?

I did find a site in China that sells it but don't fancy importing it!

#5 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:38 PM

Ok, i don't value my limbs.

How do you manufacture perchloric acid?
h2clo4? Is it sodium perchlorate + sulphuric acid? There must be another way!

#6 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:39 PM

I guessed you knew - just checking that's all.....

Sure, it's difficult to find but it can be obtained.

Check out ALL the posts on this site and I'm sure it'll help you.

BTW - there are much better, safer and more fun comps. to make without having to use flash. Have you thought of rockets, good BP, fountains etc.?

:rolleyes:

#7 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 03:57 PM

Potassium Perchlorate is made by double decomposition of sodium perchlorate and Potassium salt (for example Potassium nitrate). So, if you can get your hands on Sodium Perchlorate ? you can use potassium nitrate to create potassium perchlorate. The ovioues question is how you get sodium perchlorate because that is also not a widely available product.

Sodium Perchlorate can be made by from Sodium Chloride (which is widely available) using electrolysis. Generally, if done correctly ? the procedure is not very dangerous ? but you need to build a few tools that require basic understanding of both chemistry and electronics.

Now ? between us ? I would strongly take Rhodri advise. While most of the time making truly bad jokes :), Rhodri prove to know what he is talking about. If you consider Sulphuric Acid for making Potassium Perchlorate then you are putting yourself into a considerable risk that can result in more then just a limb blown off.

Again, PLEASE consider starting with more basic things. Use BP instead of Flash. Try to make it granulate to get a good blasting power. Do set pieces before Arial pieces and so on. By going through the range of static pieces and ground pieces you build the pratices from which to advance to more sophisticate projects. If you REALLY want to try and make new chemicals ? I?m sure you can come up with easier projects first.

BigG

#8 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 08:53 PM

NEW USERS: Please be at least arsed to SEARCH before starting a new topic. If you could be bothered to search then you would most likely find that there is already an answer to your question.

Also, why oh why does every new pyro want to run before they can walk and go straight to flash powder?? I didnt say that's the case with Prodigy, but in my experience that seems to be the way it is an awful lot of times. It should be like learning to ride a bike: Learn to walk, Trike, Bike with stabilisers, Remove stabilisers, mountain bike, 50cc moped, 250cc sports, then a big Harley or something (in pyro: Touchpaper, Fountain, Rocket, Stars, THEN flash, and then bigger and brighter things!)

#9 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 12:59 PM

Hi

I can?t agree with Adam or Big G any more so.

Having trained and worked as an organic chemist for 8 years I apprecaite the beauty and awseome power of highly energeticv compounds.

It was, and remains, a true passion.

Even though I have changed disiplines, I still keep a hand in chemistry ? pyrotechnics being the vehicle to allow me to do this.

I too sometimes feel frustrated with the lack of available chemicals that I can buy ? especially being surrounded with many that I took for granted on a daily basis.

That said, I have recently discovered the true beauty of charcoal, both its effect in black powders and for stars , comets etc.

I take great pleasure in re-fining what chemicals I can find to make the best componetns for my pyros.

I spend hours making good BP and stars and lovingly roll tubes.

My pyrotechnics are ?toys? compared to other memebers work on this site, but through talking and more importantly listening, I have gained an inordinate amount of knowledge from some very well experinced pyro. people.

The point is this. One doesn?t need perchlorates, flash powders, exotic nitrates etc. to fully enojoy this art.

I say again ? I can?t begin to describe the variations in effects by using different charcoals and the sheer thrill of watching a piece take fire!

OK, I?m getting off my soap box (and about to burn it to make charcoal :) ), and get some pictures together to put up to show how simple, yet highly effective, chemicals can be used.

Big G ? are my jokes really that bad ? surley I can?t compete with Robert?

[Edited on 7-6-2003 by Rhodri]

#10 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:14 PM

I think your jokes are fine. The farmer joke lost something in translation. A pond thing I'm betting. British rednecks? I thought it was just a southeastern US term. You bastar*s stole it right out from under our feet.
sinsirly, Cletus(ala Simpsons)

#11 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 01:18 PM

Cheers Bernie!

Living down here in the New Forest reminds me of the film "Deliverance."

Need my bow and arrow some time.....

I did know some more jokes about rednecks but I can't remember them right now - you've asked for it mate - I shall post more up!

:D

#12 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2003 - 09:18 PM

Rhodri ? When referring to jokes?. I actually misplaced you with Bernie :)? I absolutely agree with everything you said. Can you explain me where exactly you disagree with me?

BigG

P.S. I don?t mean to offend anyone. If you were eight years trained at organic chemistry, I?ll consider you an authority around here on the making of chemicals. Many other users are not, and my posts of cautions are refereed to them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users