Professional display at Rochdale

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:37 AM

:) Me and Dave **** of ******* Fireworks did a hotel display in Rochdale. It was wet all day and night with drizzle then heavy rain then drizzle then heavy rain constantly! Dave picked me up from Rochdale town centre then we went back to his farm and loaded the van with 400 loaded mortars from 2.5" to 8" shells and 20 HUGE Cat4 cakes and two Cat3 single ignition displays in a box. We set off to the hotel clad in hi-viz waterproofs and safety wellies with the gear and Dave had done some preparation early in the day by putting utility barriers across the carpark 25m upwind and we drove through to set up. Everything was waterproofed before hand which obviously helped then we strapped the mortars together so they wouldn't fall over. We placed the cakes in bags in a row across the carpark with shells at the rear. We had a gazebo to chill out in, and drink eat and smoke between times. At 7.15pm we saw the Exchange Shopping Centre Fireworks with a 20-25min display of superb Cat4 stuff, loads of noise and colour bombarded the sky from that and it was really spectacular to watch! At 7.45 Dave went through the firing order with me and we finalised it all and at 8.30 we lit our portfires and started! I did one cake and Dave lit some shells then we kept going that way in sequence and for the finale I lit the single ignition displays together and Dave lit several shells which all went up at once lighting up the sky with bangs, beautiful willows, brocades, golds, blues, and every colour you could think of and that really rounded it off well! Dave lost my helmet with visor and eardefenders so I had to fire regardless;didn't realise how loud and how risky Cat4 could be without wearing the PPE! Learned a valuable lesson tho'. Afterwards we let the fireworks cool and Dave had a fag then we put the mortars into the van and disposed of the spent cakes and displays in a box and several of the guests and the security guard stewarding the event came round and thanked us both and shook our hands and offered us free grub and drink! We went to look on a client we fired a display for during the commonweath games in Manchester and warmed ourselves round his bonfire and had some more grub and another free drink on him then Dave took me home to Accrington. Wet but good and worth it! :closedeyes:

Edited by adamw, 07 November 2005 - 07:46 PM.

#2 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:10 AM

*gives you an evil look* Grrrr
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#3 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:32 AM

Sounds like you had fun, but you were transporting loaded mortar tubes? Not good!

#4 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 11:39 AM

Sounds like you had fun, but you were transporting loaded mortar tubes? Not good!

We had to do it this way and they were waterproofed in advance because it was raining! :)

#5 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:19 PM

We had to do it this way and they were waterproofed in advance because it was raining! :)

I have never heard such nonsense before. You never heard about waterproofing on site?!?! I?m not sure what you done is legal, but I never heard a serious company putting shells in advance in mortars and carrying them like that in the van? Anyone from the professionals care to remark?

#6 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2005 - 02:43 PM

We didn't have the time; plus Dave took several hours getting it all ready on the Friday, so how could that be irresponsible??? When you're working against the clock running around on the day is nothing but advance preparation is EVERYTHING. Not getting at you but I don't suppose you realise that BigG. :(

Also the van has a wooden partition keeping the load area completely separate(and sealed) from the cab so nothing can touch or affect the pyro. That way Dave can safely have a fag while he is driving with all that pyro on board safe in the knowledge that nothing can touch it OR set it alight by accident either. Also we do it with our mortar racks as well by loading the shells in advance and by preparation/waterproofing and fusing prior to transporting them to the display venue. In this way, they are all prepared and ready for set-up, plus there's less messing around as a result;and through all this advance preparation/fusing etc in advance and transporting the pyro assembled etc, all that is left for me and Dave to do is to secure them where appropriate with suitable means;for example by stakes if the display is in a field or large garden OR by straps if we're using a carpark or area with concrete. :closedeyes:

Edited by Anthony, 07 November 2005 - 03:50 PM.

#7 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:13 PM

That way Dave can safely have a fag while he is driving with all that pyro on board safe in the knowledge that nothing can touch it OR set it alight by accident either.

I take it Dave's never been much into safety then. Imagine the scenario. Dave's merrily driving down the road, fag in mouth, loaded mortars in the back. He collides with an oncoming vehicle and the van rolls onto it's side. The roof points at the windows of a busy supermarket. Dave's fag ignites the petrol pouring from the other car. The fire spreads to the load and shells fire straight down the baked bean aisle of Tesco's. Many people are seriously injured or die. That would really promote the old firework industry. I assume that he's taken the ARD course! I assume that he know about the carriage of explosives by road regulations. Loaded mortars and a quick fag are both highly illegal whilst transporting fireworks. The fireworks aren't in a U.N approved container and they aren't classified for transport in that form either.

I suggest that you stay away from Dave.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#8 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 04:15 PM

It is not legal to transport loaded mortar tubes. As per regulation, fireworks are to be transported in original packaging or specific cases..... not in mortar tubes.

As for the comment on advanced preparation, I agree... be prepaired as in have everything ready that you would need on site to layout all fireworks as well as securing them and a suitable method of water proofing.

We all know it takes time to rig a show and I have done shows that have taken a few hours to rig and severall that have taken over a week to rig... just make sure you leave enough time according to the size of show to rig even if you have to get out of bed at 5 in the morning.

The wooden partition would be turned to match sticks if a mortar fired in the back of the vehicle... get "Dave" to launch a 4" shell in daylight for you.. you will soon get an idea of the velocity that a shell leaves the tube. Shells that are not in mortar tubes will not be projected in a direction if the lift is ignited.. they may bounce around but that is about it, well atleast for the next 3 to 4 seconds then it will get kinda hair raising.

Mark

Edited by The_Djinn, 07 November 2005 - 04:16 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#9 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:55 PM

The original post has been edited to spare Dave and company's blushes. A terrible example of safety violation however!

Mortartube's point is a perfectly chilling example of what could happen. And 8" ??!! What a fool! Please Anthony, don't think this is how it is / should be done because is sure is not!

If time was so essential, why did you sit round having fags and watching other displays!?

Also, Anthony - I know the show / plan / decisions were not yours, but you preach about Cat 3 safety yet turn a blind eye to this serious, unprofessional and irresponsible act!? Don't be so daft!

On all displays I go to we endure whatever the weather throws at us and load / waterproof the mortars IN THE FIELD! Reading this just makes me so damn angry!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#10 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 09:37 PM

pretty stupid, especially smoking in the van. and as for loaded morters, well mortertube pretty much says it all.

#11 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

That way Dave can safely have a fag while he is driving with all that pyro on board safe in the knowledge that nothing can touch it OR set it alight by accident either.

I take it Dave's never been much into safety then. Imagine the scenario. Dave's merrily driving down the road, fag in mouth, loaded mortars in the back. He collides with an oncoming vehicle and the van rolls onto it's side. The roof points at the windows of a busy supermarket. Dave's fag ignites the petrol pouring from the other car. The fire spreads to the load and shells fire straight down the baked bean aisle of Tesco's. Many people are seriously injured or die. That would really promote the old firework industry. I assume that he's taken the ARD course! I assume that he know about the carriage of explosives by road regulations. Loaded mortars and a quick fag are both highly illegal whilst transporting fireworks. The fireworks aren't in a U.N approved container and they aren't classified for transport in that form either.

I suggest that you stay away from Dave.

What you are predicting is something of a nightmare scenario that has never happened at all. Also Dave is a good friend of mine and we always get on well and work well together;don't tell me who I should and shouldn't have as friends either. Dave always flicks his fag ash out of the window and extinguishes his fag but ends in the ashtray in the middle of the van console. :(

#12 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:45 PM

I find this worrying that these highly explosive devices are not stored/transported with the respect they deserve. Not having a go at Anthony but this is the type of cuting corners that is very very dangerous. I can not imagine the destruction caused if a rack of shells went off while being transported, nightmare scenarios happen.

#13 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:28 PM

Well I'm sorry if my reply riled you up Anthony, but after I spent fifteen years in the firework industry complying with rules and regulations (which also cost quite a bit of money to comply with in some instances), I feel pretty angry that people can flout the rules like this and generally give the industry a bad name. It's a bit like car tax dodgers tend to make those who pay up angry, because those who pay, try to comply with the law.

If anyone is likely to have an accident along the scenario that I have suggested. It will most likely be somebody who behaves in the way that you have outlined that your mate Dave behaves. Luckily this "nightmare scenario", hasn't happened, as most people respect the rules and regulations and the reason behind them. That's why most of them comply.

I certainly wasn't trying to tell you who you should or shouldn't associate with, I would have thought that common sense and a sense of self preservation would dictate that in this instance. Perhaps I'm wrong there!

As a final point, it doesn't matter where Dave flicks his ash or extinguishes his fags or why you carry loaded mortars in the van. He is breaking the law and WHEN, not if, some idiot like this cause a major incident, the whole of the firework industry will suffer and not just the perpertrator(s).

That's my tuppence worth said.

#14 chris17

chris17

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:52 AM

I really can't say much about the UK, but here in Finland transporting loaded mortars seems to be quite common, at least when the traveled distance is short. I have not been in the professional business very long but this seems to be the policy of at least my display supplier.

#15 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:11 AM

I know that some countries do allow the transportation of loaded mortars. I believe that Canada does (or did), allow it. I recall reading an article about a company who had a trailer loaded up with preloaded mortars. They went to the site. Disconnected the trailer and jacked up the front to angle it away from the audience. It was wired to the firing desk and Presto! An instant show. The trailer was very wide and low, so that if it did turn over in an accident, it would most likely not remain on it's side with mortars pointing horizontally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users