5 replies to this topic

#1 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

Does anyone know who is firing the Christmas Display on the 19th November in Stafford town square, they have a display every year and I always wondered who it was.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:12 AM

No idea, but likely a local firm. HFM perhaps?

#3 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 08:38 PM

Well, I went to see the display earlier today, some good stuff, they fired at least 15 shells, a nice whistling barrage (I think it was a barrage anyway) and plenty of candle shots. Lasted around 5 minutes and they finished off with about 6 silver streamer shells all at once.

I think I'm finally getting better at recognising fireworks :D, some of these shells had dual-colour bursts, e.g. Red in the centre Blue on the outside, is this done using two layers of stars with a spacer in the shell or is there a seperate burst inside the shell?

Edited by sizzle, 19 November 2005 - 09:13 PM.

#4 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:15 PM

Well, I went to see the display earlier today, some good stuff, they fired at least 15 shells, a nice whistling barrage (I think it was a barrage anyway) and plenty of candle shots. Lasted around 5 minutes and they finished off with about 6 silver streamer shells all at once.

I think I'm finally getting better at recognising fireworks :D, some of these shells had dual-colour bursts, e.g. Red in the centre Blue on the outside, is this done using two layers of stars with a spacer in the shell or is there a seperate burst inside the shell?

They are known as double petal shells, there is an outer layer of stars (blue) and then some burst charge. Then next is another layer of stars (red) and finaly some more burst, the center burst generaly has to be slightly stronger or faster to keep the center petal round when the shell bursts. These are beautiful shells and sometimes triple or quad petals can been seen. This effect can be confused with a center pistil which is a dash of stars mixed in the center and not in a round shape.

#5 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

Yeah - I saw the Stafford christmas display. Falling leaves shells featured heavily as well [small break, lots of long lasting red stars drifting down to earth].

As far as I can make out the display is funded by whatever can be raised from the shops and businesses. My guesstimate was about ?300-?400 this year.

The Show was OK, but the bloody compere insisted on whipping the crowd up to fever pitch with inane comments as well as playing a thumping dance beat over the pyro. Some people just don't know when to shut up! Grrr!

#6 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, it was that Dave Jonson or something, I thought those single shots of red, blue, violet and green were good, they seemed to last ages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users