17 replies to this topic

#16 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:55 AM

The H2O2 motor works by the heat and pressure of the H2O2 decomposing. Both of you are correct. It is a monopropellant, but it does go to water and oxygen. I however see no reason why you couldn't inject a flamable fuel in with the products to produce even more thrust.

I'm sure there is more than one type of rocket that uses H2O2 as a propellant, or part of the propellant. I have heard of H2O2 and liquid methane I think it was.

Thrusters and motors are completely different things. You can have peroxide thrusters when you have got to orbit; i.e. to change your attitude with agility and to make very slight changes to your orbit. But it is actually physically imposible to rely on a H2O2 thruster to get you into space.

The energy density of a peroxide decomposition thruster is that low, that the mass of the fuel required to get a rocket to space is more than an order of magnitude greater than the mass of the rocket itself. H2O2 on its own is not a viable way to reach orbit, or 100km for that matter.

#17 mnementh

mnementh

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 10:16 PM

Hi guys,
Concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide was a favoured oxydizer for the Germans, during the WWII.

The problem was that since it was highly concentrated, it was prone to explode, rather than propelling the craft it was used in. Damn nearly anything acted as a catalyst, decomposing it destructively.

It was sprayed onto Potassium Permanganate in a "combustion" chamber and decomposed, producing thrust.

The ME163 KOMET used a combination of Hydrazine and H2O2 as it's fuel mix and reached speeds of 600MPH at a time when the Spitfire could only do about 350MPH.

Apparently it was one scary machine;

http://www.angelfire...dels/me163.html

Paul,
Don't I wish Sorbitol was available here, at the price you mention.

The last lot I got cost me ?23 for 3 x 500 gram lots. That's about 10Euro's a Kg.

Sandy

Edited by mnementh, 21 December 2005 - 10:17 PM.

#18 mnementh

mnementh

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 10:17 AM

Regimental Pyro,
the Black Knight was a standard two part fuel oxidizer rocket, although you are almost correct, Re. the Hydrogen Peroxide.

As you said, the H2O2 was sprayed onto a silver catalyst screen but the products were O2 and steam, not H2.

This was then used as the oxygen source to burn kerosene;

http://members.aol.c...lack_knight.htm

Hope this is useful,
Sandy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users