• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 01:40 PM

As chlorate + sulphur = BOOM where is it safe to use chlorate stars?

In a roman candle the star has dark fire on top and blowing charge round the sides and underneath. Both are BP mixes containing sulphur. Is this considered safe, as there is only surface contact and not intimate mixing?

Would like to hear what people know about this...

#2 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 05:46 PM

to a member that I respect and is very knowledeable in these matters. His response was that he indeed does/has primed O3 stars with bp. He will NOT suggest that anyone else does this.

There is an obvious risk involved that MUST be considered. The best course of action I would think, is to design things that pose the least amount of risk. That's what the industry does.

I am very interested in Adams take on the subject. I am sure we all can learn a lot from him or other professionals.

[Edited on 15-6-2003 by bernie briden]

#3 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 09:33 PM

You wont find a firework on sale in UK that uses chlorate stars. The HSE will fail an item for testing if found to contain chlorate/sulphur comp. Thats why perchlorate is used! The Maltese and other European manufacturers seem to think it safe enough to use, but trust me I'd never want to be near the star roller priming chlorate stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users