20 replies to this topic

#1 zookeeper

zookeeper

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 05:45 AM

I'm a full time pyrotechnician from the US, www.youngexplosives.com

I recently made a trip to Croyden, to visit friends, during "Bonfire Night". I must say I was impressed!

My friends took me to see the Leeds Castle display, conducted by Phoenix Fireworks I think, and I saw some shells and effects that I have not seen before in the States. I will do my best to describe...

a group of 3 shells, possibly 5" or 6", brocades with a red parachute pistil and a hanging chain of glitter strobes. Could these be a Lidu, Sunny, or San Tai product?

I would really like to know the answer :blink:

I would also like to know what ground effect detonated during the show, sending white comets toward the spectators and causing the crew to run around with torches, checking the electrical firing modules. Was the electric firing a Pyromate system?

I really did enjoy my holiday, the whole country was illuminated by burning stars and reports. November is not a really busy time for American pyrotechnics, so I will see if I can plan a trip for next year as well.

#2 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:09 PM

Glad you like England's displays :D , If you liked the leeds display, consider the Shugborough display this year, they have a fantastic display (although it's a bit pricey).

I'm not the man to tell you about the fireworks used (I wasn't there) so i'll leave that to someone else.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#3 zookeeper

zookeeper

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:17 AM

Glad you like England's displays :D , If you liked the leeds display, consider the Shugborough display this year, they have a fantastic display (although it's a bit pricey).

I'm not the man to tell you about the fireworks used (I wasn't there) so i'll leave that to someone else.

Being from New York, consumer fireworks are illegal so I really was impressed with the amount and size of effect that residents were conducting in their own backyards...The volume of salutes and reports was so intense, at one time, I thought the Germans were trying to invade again :lol:

My English friend told me that there are heavy tariffs in place with regards to Chinese product, where do most of the display shells come from in the UK?

where is Shugborough located?

Edited by zookeeper, 09 January 2006 - 04:18 AM.

#4 Bub

Bub

PyroGuy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 06:53 AM

Greetings,

The November 5th Display at Leeds Castle (it's in Kent) was produced by Fantastic Fireworks, not phoenix.

Fantastic have done it for the last 3 years I believe.

I believe the shells were on pyromate and the cakes and candles on Fire-1.

Very impressive it was too ;-)

...B

Edited by Bub, 09 January 2006 - 06:54 AM.

#5 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:30 AM

Being from New York, consumer fireworks are illegal so I really was impressed with the amount and size of effect that residents were conducting in their own backyards...The volume of salutes and reports was so intense, at one time, I thought the Germans were trying to invade again :lol:

My English friend told me that there are heavy tariffs in place with regards to Chinese product, where do most of the display shells come from in the UK?

where is Shugborough located?

Shugborough is pretty much central in the UK, you can search for it using multi-map.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#6 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

a group of 3 shells, possibly 5" or 6", brocades with a red parachute pistil and a hanging chain of glitter strobes. Could these be a Lidu, Sunny, or San Tai product?

Sounds like some pretty awesome shells there.... but what do you mean by "glitter strobes"? surely they're either glitter or strobes?

#7 zookeeper

zookeeper

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 05:31 AM

but what do you mean by "glitter strobes"? surely they're either glitter or strobes?

Poor description, sorry...

I guess they would be a gold strobe, with a very fast flash rate.

I've never, in 12 years of doing displays, seen an effect like it. It was the most impressive shell I've seen since Lidu came out with their 8" "Air Waterfall" (A shell containing a chain of waterfall gerbs, suspended by a parachute at each end)

Greetings,

The November 5th Display at Leeds Castle (it's in Kent) was produced by Fantastic Fireworks, not phoenix.

Fantastic have done it for the last 3 years I believe.

I believe the shells were on pyromate and the cakes and candles on Fire-1.

Very impressive it was too ;-)

...B

CHEERS!! One question answered :)

Phoenix listed Leeds Castle as a client on their website, no wonder why they didn't reply to my email query :lol:

#8 Bub

Bub

PyroGuy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

Zookeeper,

Sorry, I just realised I didn't answer your shell question.

The shell you describe was a made by Forward, it's 6" and it's called 'Red Lantern' - the hanging tail doesn't strobe though.

...Bub.

#9 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:12 PM

is there any reason why you couldnt put a strobe on it?
that might make a cool effect

or how about having a string of strobes hanging down.

overcomplex i know but it might be interesting to try

#10 zookeeper

zookeeper

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 01:44 AM

Zookeeper,

Sorry, I just realised I didn't answer your shell question.

The shell you describe was a made by Forward, it's 6" and it's called 'Red Lantern' - the hanging tail doesn't strobe though.

...Bub.

I have used the Forward "Red Lantern" from 2004-2005 Chinese production year, and it was just a red "globe" parachute with the red flare inside....no gold brocade break. no chain of strobes :(

Is this a new modification for the 2005-2006 production run? If it is, I can't wait to get our container from Forward :wub:

In the US we do our orders in September, and don't take delivery until February or March. I wonder if the UK got a new effect before the US?

If you did, I'm very jealous Haha!

#11 Glennjamin

Glennjamin

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

The answer.....

6" Forward Shell Red Lantern with Glitter Stars!

#12 zookeeper

zookeeper

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 03:53 AM

The answer.....

6" Forward Shell Red Lantern with Glitter Stars!

THANK YOU!!!

I do believe those are on our Forward container, I think we ordered them for the parachute, what a great surprise that will be :lol: We should be taking delivery in March.

When you order from a Chinese broker, you're not always sure what you will get.

Once again thank you, very much, for the shell identification. B)

#13 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

When you order from a Chinese broker, you're not always sure what you will get.

thats what keeps putting me off from looking at importing myself :)

#14 zookeeper

zookeeper

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:03 AM

thats what keeps putting me off from looking at importing myself :)

Do you have many "problems" with importing Chinese product into the UK?

...perhaps I should start a new thread on this subject?

#15 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

Lidu do a Red Lantern shell with a strobing tail in 6", it's available in the UK - don't know about the brocade burst though, difficult to arrange in the same shell. Maybe it was 2 shells that happened to burst simultaneously??
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users