• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Amleth

Amleth

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:54 PM

You'll probably find it's just as cheap to get round shot for blackpowder rifles from a gun supplier. That has the advantage of all your media being the same size/shape, and of not having that hole through the centre (or split) that sinkers do, which fills up with comp and is a bitch to keep clear and bleh...

It takes about 350 0.575" round ball to fill a litre of volume, BTW, IIRC. 0.5" balls would be closer to 400, I'm guessing, but mine aren't that size... Remember that you want half the volume of your mill jar worth of media.

#17 damocov

damocov

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

Just looking at building a mill here in the UK and I've got a question that might have been answered eleswhere (but if it has I can't find it so please don;t jump down my throat for asking it!).

If I buy Fishing weights here in the UK I belive that lead ones are illegal to use in uk rivers and seem to have been replaced with environmentally friendly lead free materials.

Does anyone know what UK fishing weights are made from and if they're suitable for milling BP?

Damo

#18 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

Yes I too thought lead weights were now banned. I don't know what they use because most heavy metals have some toxicity. Maybe Bismuth?

I'm not suprised they are still available in the US. They won't even subscribe to Kyoto, so don't bet on them caring about the little fishies!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#19 richard2

richard2

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

Lead is only banned for freshwater fishing not saltw*ter and is still available in fishing shops. It would be quite expensive to fill a mill with the required amount of lead though - at least from my local fishing shop.

Regards

Rich

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users