12 replies to this topic

#1 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:44 AM

Tried Kyle Kepley's (admin of Passfire, PGI Grand Master) Gold Streamer comp, which is classic Tiger Tail with Fe-Ti added. The exact comp I used was :

KNO3 - 44 grams
C - 44 grams
S - 6 grams
Dextrin - 6 grams
Fe-Ti - 15 grams (30-60 mesh)

Charcoal was homecooked Spruce. Ball mill Saltpetre, charcoal and Sulfur 1 hour, then add Ferro-Titanium by hand. Wet with 25/75 Alcohol/H2O just enough to pump. No prime required.

The stargun test was of a 3/8 pumped star ( used a cut off syringe as a pump ), in a 1/2" tube, over 2 grams of corned 10 mesh BP.

I am planning to put together a 3" ball shell with these stars, KP rice hulls and whistle burst. Haven't decided whether to launch from a mortar or loft it with a 3/4" rocket, or try both and compare :)

Here's video of the stargun test :
Posted Image
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#2 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:31 AM

Tried Kyle Kepley's (admin of Passfire, PGI Grand Master) Gold Streamer comp, which is classic Tiger Tail with Fe-Ti added. The exact comp I used was :

KNO3 - 44 grams
C - 44 grams
S - 6 grams
Dextrin - 6 grams
Fe-Ti - 15 grams (30-60 mesh)

Charcoal was homecooked Spruce. Ball mill Saltpetre, charcoal and Sulfur 1 hour, then add Ferro-Titanium by hand. Wet with 25/75 Alcohol/H2O just enough to pump. No prime required.

The stargun test was of a 3/8 pumped star ( used a cut off syringe as a pump ), in a 1/2" tube, over 2 grams of corned 10 mesh BP.

I am planning to put together a 3" ball shell with these stars, KP rice hulls and whistle burst. Haven't decided whether to launch from a mortar or loft it with a 3/4" rocket, or try both and compare :)

Here's video of the stargun test :
Posted Image

Nice - I will be giving that comp a try. I really like that effect. My current favourite (well, for about the last 18 months) are magnalium comp stars - I love the crackle that goes with the visual.
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#3 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:42 AM

Nice - I will be giving that comp a try. I really like that effect. My current favourite (well, for about the last 18 months) are magnalium comp stars - I love the crackle that goes with the visual.

Thanks. I like the Magnalium comps too, I'm getting low on Mg/Al , waiting for an order to arrive actually, which is why I am playing with charcoal comps more. I also like not having to prime the stars :) One other gripe with Mg/Al ( and Mg for that matter ) is how the suppliers have to ship it with 51% coarse turnings. I always feel like I am getting ripped off when I basically waste 50% of the material.
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
--Homer Simpson

#4 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:32 AM

Thanks. I like the Magnalium comps too, I'm getting low on Mg/Al , waiting for an order to arrive actually, which is why I am playing with charcoal comps more. I also like not having to prime the stars :) One other gripe with Mg/Al ( and Mg for that matter ) is how the suppliers have to ship it with 51% coarse turnings. I always feel like I am getting ripped off when I basically waste 50% of the material.

I agree with you about liking not to have to prime stars. Alot of "my" star compositions use a relatively high percentage of lampblack & antimony trisulphide - even when using a flash burst these stars take fire no problem without a prime :D

Don't feel too bad about your magnalium supply - at least you have a readily available supply in the US (even if you do have to sieve it). To obtain pyro grade magnalium in the UK requires substantial planning / ingenuity! :huh:
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#5 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:55 AM

Nice star. The high C and low S content makes it act like a transformation comp (aka firefly). With FeTi I really like the effect! I'll have to give that a try.

#6 PyroThomas

PyroThomas

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

If a finer grade of FeTi (40-325 mesh) is used, the effect is a smaller delay and a fuller tail with shorter duration. The effect is really nice, almost like an Al gold-flitter star only that the head is not as bright.

Edited by PyroThomas, 29 January 2006 - 05:53 PM.

#7 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 11:31 PM

If a finer grade of FeTi (40-325 mesh) is used, the effect is a smaller delay and a fuller tail with shorter duration. The effect is really nice, almost like an Al gold-flitter star only that the head is not as bright.

Assuming you purchase both the 30-60 mesh and the 40-325 mesh from skylighter, bit pricey though ($40!), and mix them in a 50/50 ratio you have a bit of both effects. I am actually in the process of ordering both of those FeTi types from skylighter. :)

#8 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 02:53 AM

Here is a link to full 3" ball shell of these stars: Posted Image
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
--Homer Simpson

#9 completebeginner

completebeginner

Made My First Working Shell!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 04:56 AM

very nice shell was the break just bp?

#10 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:51 AM

very nice shell was the break just bp?

No, that was KP on rice hulls with 2 g of whistle mix at the center I think it did break a few stars, but the effect was still nice.
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
--Homer Simpson

#11 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:11 AM

Nice shell, sounded over lifted a bit but the break was great. Yes i think a few poor stars were blown to bits, you could add more binder and keep the break as it is or remove the whistle mixture from the burst as KP in its self is strong enough to burst a 3 inch shell. How many paste layers did you use? I love FeTi

#12 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:01 AM

Nice shell, sounded over lifted a bit but the break was great. Yes i think a few poor stars were blown to bits, you could add more binder and keep the break as it is or remove the whistle mixture from the burst as KP in its self is strong enough to burst a 3 inch shell. How many paste layers did you use? I love FeTi

Karl, I overlifted to 'make certain' as it was a new batch of BP and also I was not certain about the fit of these plastic hemi's in a 3" mortar. I will probably drop the lift by about 25% for that weight shell ( 85 grams total weight )

I may try cutting the whistle in half, or try one with just the KP hulls. I wasn't sure, since that was my first 3" plastic shell. It just had 3 wraps of dual weave fiberglass tape on it. Here is a pic of the shell:

Posted Image

I have some other Ti flake that I want to play with, might do a batch of those and make a shell with the Fe-Ti and one with straight Ti and compare side by side in a couple days. Right now I am waiting for some Veline Red, Green, and Blues to dry, so I can prime them. Probably be ready in about 3 more days for star gun testing anyway...

How high do you think one can go with the dextrin binder before it affects the burn/color ? I presume you can get away with a much higher % dextrin in a charcoal star than a perc color star ?
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
--Homer Simpson

#13 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

It is desirable to keep the amount of dextrin as low as possible, as it does have mild hygroscopic tendancies. Perhaps substitute gum arabic for your dextrin, as this makes rock hard stars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users