• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Amleth

Amleth

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 01:57 AM

Large quantities suddenly released into the environment have destroyed whole communities.

Which reminds me; It's a little known fact, but most of the property damage and loss of life in the wake of hurricane Katrina, was not, in fact, the result of the intense winds and flying debris of the storm itself, but actually caused by large spills of DHMO that followed the initial destruction.

When, oh when, will politicians finally step in and legislate to protect us from these horrific hazards?!

Won't somebody please think of the children?

#17 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:56 PM

On the topic of dodge chemicals

Does anyone remember "cake", when it got the politicians jumping on the anti-drug (also know as the "I haven't a clue what I'm doing") band wagon. They really believed that it was a real drug and started to ban it! With any luck, the same display of un-intellectual button pushing may repeat itself.

#18 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:15 PM

Haha yeah, was done in Brasseye.

Amazing that they fell for it and went to parlament without even getting a second opinion!!

Typical british politics :glare:

#19 Amleth

Amleth

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:09 AM

On the topic of dodge chemicals

Does anyone remember "cake", when it got the politicians jumping on the anti-drug (also know as the "I haven't a clue what I'm doing") band wagon. They really believed that it was a real drug and started to ban it! With any luck, the same display of un-intellectual button pushing may repeat itself.

Probably not, though. Dihydrogen Monoxide is an old, _old_ gag, and lots of people know it nowadays, so it's unlikely to dupe a whole organisation. That said, the main reason it works so well when it does is because the first thing most people think when they hear it phrased that way is "Monoxide? Like in carbon monoxide? The stuff that kills you? The stuff in "pollution"? Oh, then it must be bad!"... Word association can be pretty powerful stuff. Ask any marketing drone. So, if you're feeling mischevious, do a leaflet drop in your neighbourhood or something and see who gets fooled...

Also, for the benefit of us non-Brits, give us more info about this "cake" thing? I can probably guess the gist of it from what you've said, and if I'm guessing correctly, it sounds like an amusing story...

#20 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 07:30 AM

Ha ha, DHMO has already been used on the big organisations, at least according to my friends. Aparantly support to ban it was given by Greenpeace, the governmen of California, and unfortunately ( I support them) it is rumored that the New Zealand Green party was hooked up, to give a few.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#21 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:37 AM

Also, for the benefit of us non-Brits, give us more info about this "cake" thing? I can probably guess the gist of it from what you've said, and if I'm guessing correctly, it sounds like an amusing story...

Here's an article on the hoaxer who did it.

http://arts.guardian....html?gusrc=rss

and another

To read more about Brass Eye, visit the Chris Morris fan site, Glebe's Thrift Funnel. Previous Brass Eye hoaxes have included making the newspaper editor Eve Pollard believe that scientific meddling had resulted in the birth of a giant testicle (which would "only live for a few days, in constant pain"); filming actor Stephen Berkoff smashing a model village to demonstrate how 'heavy electricity' drops from power lines and crushes children; and getting Noel Edmonds (who himself ran a hoax programme but didn't get the joke when it was on him) to warn how a fictitious drug called 'cake' affects a brain region called Shatner's Bassoon.
None of the victims accept Chris Morris' point or are contrite about parroting words they made no effort to check (even when the words are patently stupid). Seemingly they believe that it's more worthy not to engage critical thought before endorsing a cause.

this was from http://www.raygirvan...th/thought6.htm.

Enjoy, the heavy electricity hoax I find amazing, how anyone could be persuaded...

#22 Amleth

Amleth

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:04 AM

Ah, gotta love the Internet. Within a few days of reading the above I'd seen the full 6 eps of "Brass Eye", and the 2001 special. When I heard he was one of the writer's invovled with "The Day Today", I had to check it out.

Turns out, Brass Eye is a heck of a lot better than The Day Today, which had a lot of comedy quartz and comedy pyrite mixed in with its precious, precious comedy gold. Brass Eye is really, really fun stuff. The absolutely absurd stuff he manages to convince celebrities to speak out against is freaking unbelieveable. If you hate tabloid journalism and find the idea of watching supposed "pundits" being effortlessly tricked into firmly shoving both feet (and maybe even a hand) into their mouthes appealing, be sure to check it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users